Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Self modding an EOS 60D

PhotoGav

Has anybody modded their EOS 60D themselves? I think I am going to go down this route and would just like to hear any advice / words of warning / tips before I start the the operation.

I have looked on Gary Honis' website (http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d1.html), but he doesn't have specific instructions for a 60D.

Hope someone can help.

Well... Following zero response, I took a deep breath and started unscrewing.... I thought I would share my experience, so that if somebody wants to mod their EOS 60D there is a little bit of info for them.

I made use of the website mentioned above and, while not exact instructions, the info there is very helpful and the 60D isn't massively different.

Tools: small Phillips screwdrivers, small flat head screwdrivers, small torx screwdriver (no.6 I think), toothpick, blutack and a pair of nitrile gloves.

I made drawings of each stage, showing the location of each screw / data ribbon removed, each one numbered and with a spot next to the diagram where I stuck the corresponding screw to the page with a blob of blutack. Here are the work sheets:

post-29321-0-39992300-1386794368_thumb.j

post-29321-0-59850000-1386794349_thumb.j

post-29321-0-80647500-1386794386_thumb.j

post-29321-0-55380700-1386794405_thumb.j

All went fairly smoothly, though, on reaching the back of the sensor unit, I discovered that I needed a torx screwdriver... So a trip to Halfords mid operation was required! They have a set of small torx screwdrivers for £11.99.

I only used the nitrile gloves when handling the sensor to avoid dodgy finger prints on the various filters.

The filter itself came out incredibly easily, with some gentle persuasion.

Reassembly was much easier than taking apart, though I did have to go back a few steps when I realised that one of the ribbons was meant to attach to the underside of the circuit board I had just carefully screwed back into place...

It was quite a thrill when I powered up the camera and something actually appeared in the info screen and even happier when it succeeded in taking a picture... With a lovely red tinge to it!

Now all I need is the opportunity to test it on the scope and see if it really all works properly and to see how the results have changed / improved...

Hi Gav, well done. I bet you are feeling pretty smug :grin: I would like to do a filter removal myself, just don't have a spare camera to do it on, at the moment :evil: Are you familiar with electronics and the like?

I really hope that it all functions correctly when you use it in anger.

Once again, well done. Feel proud of yourself.

Ian

Thank you Steve & Ian. Yes, I do have a certain glow of satisfaction at the moment!

Obviously the Atik is on hold for now, Steve... Though my bravery to go in 'blind' was entirely due to my internal agreement that, should I kill the 60d, I would 'have' to purchase the atik!!!

Ian, no I'm not very familiar with electronics at all, but am fairly practical, so was intrigued to give the modding procedure a go. My main experience of taking things apart is as a kid when I disassembled most of my toys.... There was always one screw left over after putting them back together - hence my rather [removed word] approach to the diagrams!

Fingers crossed for a clear night soon.

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting website and they look like very clear instructions for the cameras specified (30, 40, 50, 450 & 550 D). My 60D was a great value second hand purchase, so I wasn't set to loose too much if the operation went drastically wrong!

Still waiting for a proper chance to test out my modded camera....

Well, it does work... I just set-up and managed two frames before the clouds rolled in and the rain started... That is the fastest I have ever cleared everything back inside. Oooooh for a clear sky all night and even more oooooooh for an obsy!

I thought I was getting to a point of stability with the set-up, but every day there's another item on the wish list!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for this Photo Gav! I am in the exact same position you were, and needed a bit of encouragement, I think I am going to go for it and try mod my 60D as well.

Just to check, you simply removed the IR/UV filter and didn't put another filter in its place correct?  I have an external 77mm IR/UV filter that I am going to use for daytime use.

Was it obvious which one was the IR filter, does it indicate that is the IR filter somehow?

Anyway thanks again. :-)

Hi,

Yes, I just removed the IR cut filter - the blue tinted one. There are two filters in front of the sensor, the blue one and a clear one... I didn't replace it with anything, which renders the autofocus system useless. You can only focus manually with live view. I only use the camera for Astro, so not an issue. I'm not sure that a filter on the front of the lens will make any difference. Pics come out with a pinky/red colour balance that needs to be sorted in processing.

Anyway, just go for it. Be methodical and slow and I would recommend a pair of nitrile gloves when you get to the sensor to keep everything smudge free. Make sure you keep a record of each screw you remove so that putting it all back together is easy.

What's the worst that can happen? You kill a camera... So what, it's only money!!!!!!

I look forward to hearing and seeing the results!

Good luck.

if i kill my camera when i add the cooler, you'll hear my wails of anguish all the way down there in wiltshire :grin:  i'm just a poor lowly computer programmer making as much as a typist so i can't afford a replacement. :laugh:

Nice project Dave. I reckon that could be a very sweet way to go with imaging. Cooling certainly makes a huuuuuge difference to noise levels and the DSLR chip size is lovely. You'll be tearing the bayer matrix off it soon too and doing the full mono CCD filter set thing!

Good luck.

Nice project Dave. I reckon that could be a very sweet way to go with imaging. Cooling certainly makes a huuuuuge difference to noise levels and the DSLR chip size is lovely. You'll be tearing the bayer matrix off it soon too and doing the full mono CCD filter set thing!

Good luck.

Don't think i'll be going that far. I'd happily pay for a debayered chip and fit it myself though.

• 3 months later...

Gav

I have specifically joined Stargazers Lounge because of your instructions on Modding your 60D. I too have been searching for instructions for this and failed until  your post here. I have modded a 30D and a 40D prior so I did have some insight to these cameras.

I saw your post 2 days ago and last night stripped the 60D down as per your instructions. It worked a treat so I must thank you. I am not sure whether I would attempted it without them and it certainly made life easier. I did miss one piece of information from your diagrams but thankfully, in the short term at least, I am not too worried about it. When putting the sensor back in I failed to note your point on backing off the adjustment screws the 3 turns. My autofocus is not correct because of this but it is strictly an astro camera and will only be used in manual focus. One day I might fix it but the rest of the mod was fine although bit daunting trying to remember where everything went.

Thanks again.

David

Hi David,

That is great to hear, so thank you for posting. Congratulations on voiding your camera's warranty! You will have much more fun with it now though. It is definitely a nerve racking experience, but wonderfully satisfying when it comes to life again after putting it all back together!

I don't think it makes much difference regarding the 3 turns... Certainly the fact that the autofocus won't work is because the filter is missing and not to do with the sensor distance. My 60D was for astro only too and the only way to focus it properly is through liveview, but it works perfectly that way. The sensor needs to be orthagonal to the lens so that the field is flat, I'm not sure mine was as I didn't make a note of the exact screw positions. However, I have never noticed any problems in the images it makes, so it must be ok. I'm sure yours will be fine.

Enjoy the new improved 60Dself-a and make sure you post your first light image soon!

Clear skies.

Gav

I didn't mention in my earlier post but i didn't just remove the IR filter, i replaced it with an Astrodon internal filter which is supposed to be the same thickness and give you the same focus as the original. Again it doesn't matter as i have a very good terrestrial camera and don't need autofocus for astro imaging. I did a test to make sure it was orthogonal by taking a picture of a brick wall and zooming in  at the centre and all corners for consistent focus and it looks good.

Thanks again, I can't wait to try it out (it has been overcast since the mod.

David

Oooh, even braver, well done! As you say, it doesn't matter that the autofocus doesn't work. As for cloud... that's guaranteed with any new piece of equipment. I think that a modded DSLR is only one week's worth of cloud, so you should be good to go soon!

if i kill my camera when i add the cooler, you'll hear my wails of anguish all the way down there in wiltshire :grin:  i'm just a poor lowly computer programmer making as much as a typist so i can't afford a replacement. :laugh:

Hi Dave,

Go easy on the idea of debayering. The newer sensors need to have the matrix removed chemically and not by abrasion, 1100d is almost impossible to be converted by abrasion. The best thing to do is to find a standard 350d and have a go at it, even if you kill the camera the cost is only about £70.00~ £80.00. I have done one and though not easy with a bit of care it is doable. The other point to consider is that with the removal of the Bayer matrix you also remove the microlensing and this does mean a drop in sensitivity.  If you succeed then you can grag about it for ever.

Regards,

A.G

Archived