Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The pup - a thrid time

YKSE

It was a clear sky last night, a couple of degrees above zero, around 60% humidity(=no dew) :smiley:

Trapezium was the first target, armed by Alan's advice, 18mm for 113x was in the focuser first, the E and F were much easier seen than earlier 200x mag! poped 16mm MV for 127x, Yes, E and F were still there, and 15mm HR for 135x worked too :smiley:. The seeing seems quite good for hunting the pup.

10mm for 200x was in the focuser when Sirius was centered, there were moments of nice and round diffraction rings, but no pup. A red filter should help according to Michael, screw it on to  the 10mm, Sirius became a red star! and noticeably smaller (about 1/4 to 1/3 smaller)! when there came brief moment that Sirius was round, there seemed to be a faint red dot to the right side, about 2 o'clock. then it disappeared when Sirius changed shape. I Looked at Sirius for about halv an hour, that faint dot seemed to appear in the same position, so I was pretty sure that it must be the pup, finally!

Just for curiosity, I replaced the red filter to blue and ND, none of them dicreased the size Sirius, hence was not helpful in this case.

Thanks Alan and Michael for the great advices.

Well done, a difficult one to crack in northern latitudes. The red filter advice certainly works on most occasions - I first saw it used on an observatory scope many years ago. The scope had a large aperture, but dirty'ish optics so it produced a lot of scatter, particulary in the blue of course.

Chris

Nice one Yong looks like you have it to me, I tried this morning with my 70mm that I left out all night but no luck, in truth by the time I got up (5.30) Sirius was way passed it best from where I live and Orion was setting, soon be Summer.

Alan

i bagged this about a month ago, i found that looking for the pup with sirius in the same fov i couldnt see it so i moved the scope of centre untill it was just passed the field stop and there it was faint but there. tried it with a few ep,s but it was there in the bgo :grin:

That works, I got the Pup quite clearly using a SW UHC filter, neat,

Nick.

I tried a UHC some time back; I wasn't convinced there was an improvement with my scope cf deep red, and I had problems from reflections from the dichroic layer on the filter.

Chris

Archived