Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Worth replacing my focuser?

One thing I sometimes find quite tricky on my SW 200 Dob is getting an accurate focus. I find I Am constantly trying to micro-adjust the focuser. It's not a critical problem at all but can be frustrating.

So I wondered if anyone had thoughts about upgrading the focuser to one with a micro-adjustment. Do these make a difference? Would it be worth me upgrading my telescope or is it too 'budget' to be worthwhile? And if it is, any suggestions on models?(I see FLO has a replacement SW focuser for £125 ... But that's nearly a third of the original cost of the scope.

Finally, could a cack-handed person like me fit a replacement focuser or is it difficult?

Many thanks, Julian

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing I would try - increase the diameter of the knob.

It makes great deal of difference to your ability to micro-adjust.

There are number of ways of doing it (most of them cost next to nothing).

Do you mean fit larger 'wheels' to turn on the focuser? I didn't think of that. Any suggestions for where I could get such a larger focus wheel?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean - most of them (if not all) were DIY type solutions.

Have a look here

Ah yes... Just had a quick look at the Lacerta. Thanks for the link. Looks good and good value too.

I've got the lacerta on mine - well worth the money if imaging planets with the dob, but perhaps a bigger wheel is worth a go first for visual.   Alternatively keep an eye on the classifieds as many users upgrade and often sell their original dual speed focuser.

I've got the lacerta on mine - well worth the money if imaging planets with the dob, but perhaps a bigger wheel is worth a go first for visual.   Alternatively keep an eye on the classifieds as many users upgrade and often sell their original dual speed focuser.

Will third that - very nice (simple, inexpensive) upgrade. :)

First thing I would try - increase the diameter of the knob.

It makes great deal of difference to your ability to micro-adjust.

There are number of ways of doing it (most of them cost next to nothing).

This worked for me too.  Cheap easy mod.

To the OP - "is my scope too budget ? "

On the scale of what scopes CAN cost, the 200p may be budget, but such a scope, in the hands of a user who is prepared to put the time in to get the best out of it  -

is capable of sustaining a lifetimes interest in astronomy, and showing more than can be imagined when you started your journey.

HTH, Ed.

Thanks again everyone.

I 'thought' it was a Crayford; I have assumed and hope it is, so thanks to auspom.

I'm looking to keep the 200 indefinitely to build my knowledge and experience so if I can modify it along the way that will be great.

The Lacerta upgrade seems to be a good choice. Nice performance at a good price apparently. Oh well, just ordered one!  :grin:

Really like the dual speed on my 6" and want it on the dob as well.

This worked for me too.  Cheap easy mod.

To the OP - "is my scope too budget ? "

On the scale of what scopes CAN cost, the 200p may be budget, but such a scope, in the hands of a user who is prepared to put the time in to get the best out of it  -

is capable of sustaining a lifetimes interest in astronomy, and showing more than can be imagined when you started your journey.

HTH, Ed.

What did you use for the mod, Ed?

What did you use for the mod, Ed?

I used a serrated edged plastic wheel (larger than the focuser had) that originally was on a slow motion control cable for an EQ mount I once had.  I drilled a hole in the centre of the plastic wheel and fitted it as replacement on the focus shaft.  

I realise that not everyone can put their hand on one of these, but my shed has lots of stuff that is supposed to "come in handy one day" and on very rare occasions actually does  :laugh:

So it could be a matter of trawling your shed, or a decent DIY shop etc to see what comes to light.

Be careful you don't fit such a large focus wheel that will contact the telescope tube.

Mine was an easy mod that does help.

Regards, Ed.

i did had Lacerta upgrade kit to the standard 1 speed focuser on my 10" dob and i still ended up selling it and upgrading focuser to Moonlite one. Reason: standard focuser doesnt like heavy eye pieces(2" range,specially in sizes of 24mm and higher) or any other heavy equipment like camera etc.it was slipping despite adjusting the tension.

Yes it is much more costly upgrade,but you do get a hell of a great focuser and this will put your observing into a whole new dimension.With Moonlite,you get no  scope wobble when adjusting focus,observations in high magnifications are smooth and vibration free.

Also keep in mind that Moonlite focuser comes with different installation kits what means you buy the focuser only once and if you do decide to upgrade your Dobsonian to either bigger or smaller aperture,all you will require is a specific installation kit.they are only 30-40 quid from FLO.Thats what i did when i recently upgraded from 10" to 14".

Alternatively Baader steelrack focuser is highly regarded and used by quite a few members here.

I would personally save up your hard earned cash and go for this option over Lacerta.

i did had Lacerta upgrade kit to the standard 1 speed focuser on my 10" dob and i still ended up selling it and upgrading focuser to Moonlite one. Reason: standard focuser doesnt like heavy eye pieces(2" range,specially in sizes of 24mm and higher) or any other heavy equipment like camera etc.it was slipping despite adjusting the tension.

Yes it is much more costly upgrade,but you do get a hell of a great focuser and this will put your observing into a whole new dimension.With Moonlite,you get no  scope wobble when adjusting focus,observations in high magnifications are smooth and vibration free.

Also keep in mind that Moonlite focuser comes with different installation kits what means you buy the focuser only once and if you do decide to upgrade your Dobsonian to either bigger or smaller aperture,all you will require is a specific installation kit.they are only 30-40 quid from FLO.Thats what i did when i recently upgraded from 10" to 14".

Alternatively Baader steelrack focuser is highly regarded and used by quite a few members here.

I would personally save up your hard earned cash and go for this option over Lacerta.

I bought the Lacerta with every intention of upgrading to something more substantial at some point.

As an interim solution it's been just fine and I guess quite saleable once the Moonlite (or whatever) is plumped for.

Archived