NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Replacing the standard C9.25 finder

My C9.25 currently has the stock 30mm finder.  Unfortunately the mount is a one-piece affair that screws to the mount directly rather than a quick-release foot as on the Skywatcher OTAs.  Does anyone know if the fitting holes for the Celestron finder mount will fit a Skywatcher mounting bracket, or am I going to need to drill the OTA to fit a new finder?

James

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would one of these ones be suitable?  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/finder-mounting-shoe.html

I have a feeling I might have one sitting around somewhere.  Unless it was on the one I used on my dob.

James

i thought the c9.25 came with 8 or 9 x 50 the cpc does ?, do you want a pic james of how/were it fits ?

It looks like the 8x50 finders that come with the CPC models have a completely different fitting too.  I'm guessing it's a larger version of the 6x30 one.  I've found an image on CN that (I think) shows me what I need though, but thank you for the offer.  I shall have a play tomorrow :)

James

It looks like the 8x50 finders that come with the CPC models have a completely different fitting too.  I'm guessing it's a larger version of the 6x30 one.  I've found an image on CN that (I think) shows me what I need though, but thank you for the offer.  I shall have a play tomorrow :)

James

ok mate no problem, give me a shout if you change your mind

My C11 finder scope has slotted holes 30mm centres......its 9 X 50

I can definitely do 30mm centres with the shoe I now have sitting on my desk.  I guess the other issue I might have is whether it will fit the curve of the OTA body.

James

I can definitely do 30mm centres with the shoe I now have sitting on my desk.  I guess the other issue I might have is whether it will fit the curve of the OTA body.

James

The  2 slots are held away from the tube by the feet either side, so should fit any size tube.....

Well, my spare finder bracket fitted.  I had to use different screws though as the standard ones are domed and I needed countersunk ones.  M4 ones worked, but I'm not totally convinced they're the right size.  They seemed a bit stiff (though the old ones were similarly reluctant to come out).  Perhaps if they'd not been relatively short they wouldn't have worked at all.  Typically, it started raining at that point, so I decided to leave getting the thread gauges out and potentially having to hunt for some odd non-metric size for another day.

James

Hi James,

I went through a similar thing when I changed the standard finder on my C8. Can't remember exactly but the screws are no. 10 or Number 8 UNC. I did post a thread on it and it has the correct size, primarily for this reason - for future reference for others doing the same thing. I am on my phone so can't really search for the thread at the moment, I posted it around Jan or Feb something like 'What are Celestron C8 finder bracket screw sizes!'

Ian

Sent from ma fone using Tapatalk 2

Archived