Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacing the standard C9.25 finder

Your welcome James, glad i could help. It is a complete PITA sometimes trying to find adapters, thread sizes etc for scope and associated paraphernalia as everyone uses different sizes etc. It is like being back in the times when every village blacksmith made their own version or size of bolts.

Ian

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I got bored so I went to the workshop to find my thread gauges.  Looks like mine are a different size.  I have an overall diameter of about 3.92mm (5/32", perhaps?) and 32tpi about 0.5" long.  That looks like they could be 8-32 1/2" UNC.  I'm a little confused by 8-24 5/8" though as looking at my tables now it appears that #10 and #12 have 24tpi, but not #8 (which is 32tpi).

James

Your welcome James, glad i could help. It is a complete PITA sometimes trying to find adapters, thread sizes etc for scope and associated paraphernalia as everyone uses different sizes etc. It is like being back in the times when every village blacksmith made their own version or size of bolts.

Ian

back in those days there were Tool shops that sold every type on bolt/thread/size what every you wanted, today its metric or nothing.....and the local blacksmith has no apprentice...

Looks like the standard M4 thread is 0.7mm pitch which is about 36tpi.  I guess it's not that much of a surprise them that the M4 screws would go in a couple of turns -- enough to bite but not the right fit.

James

My stainless #8-32 UNC countersunk allen screws have arrived and I've just been out to refit the mounting foot.  The screws fit perfectly :)

I did notice that some of the black screws in use on the rest of the OTA are looking a little bit worse for their exposure to damp nights.  I might replace those at some point.

James

Archived