Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any ISON updates?

Paulhenry85

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has brightened up after this, once it was back in the view of the LASCO 3 camera, see this pic

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1385728753.336293.jpg

Stu

Yeah I was just looking at that. There is potential there by the looks of it, I guess it depends on exactly what is left. Perhaps we'll see some interesting things in December if there is a lot of dust and small fragments in its wake. Could still be some surprises in store and maybe forward scattering effects could play a part too. It seems this comet is an enigma even within the cometary conundrum!

One thing confusing me is that I understood comet tails should point away from the sun, but ISON's is clearly just trailing behind. What am I missing?

Stu

The tail is pushed by the solar wind, so generally streams away from the sun, however, what if the comet is travelling faster than the solar wind? The tail will still be behind the comet, won't it?

Around perihelion the velocities being thrown around were 500,000 - 1,000,000mph. How fast is the solar wind at the moment?

The tail is pushed by the solar wind, so generally streams away from the sun, however, what if the comet is travelling faster than the solar wind? The tail will still be behind the comet, won't it?

Around perihelion the velocities being thrown around were 500,000 - 1,000,000mph. How fast is the solar wind at the moment?

Thanks Adrian. I guess that makes sense, I've since seen a video from one of the other observatories and it clearly shows the tail spinning round to face away from the sun now that it has slowed after perihelion.

Stu

It's not dead, it's resting.....

Seems like at least a small nucleus has survived. Uncertain at the moment what that means in terms of its visibility over the next few days/week. Hopefully at least visible in binos.

Stu

It's not dead, it's resting.....

Seems like at least a small nucleus has survived. Uncertain at the moment what that means in terms of its visibility over the next few days/week. Hopefully at least visible in binos.

Stu

Its pining for the Oort !!

On Thursday, Comet ISON was approaching the perihelion, the closest point to the Sun on its trajectory. Centuries ago, before the climate began to change, such a moment in the life of a comet would be an important event for the religious societies. However Comet ISON was largely destroyed. The experts are not quite sure about the cause but most of the researchers mention the global warming. The Solar System is being catastrophically heated up by the man-made emissions of CO2, especially by those produced by the corporations in countries with GDP per capita exceeding $20,000, particularly those countries which tolerate a larger number of the climate change deniers, heretics, and other contrarians.

That right there is the funniest opinion I have ever read. Half of me hopes it is in jest, half of me loves that there are people out there with such interesting takes on life, the universe and everything :) made me smile anyway. Sorry ISON, too much CO2 in the atmosphere you did not interact with. Genius :)

Archived