NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Maxbright Binocular Viewer

YKSE

Bought this binoviewer with the 3 glasspath compensators(GK) when the local astroshop had sale on them for about a month ago, have only managed some few sessions with them, at most halv an hour in a seesion due to the lousy weather.

Here's a short summary of my impressions:

(For those who are interested, there's more extensive information about the Maxbriht or binoviewer in general here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/42-717-0-0-1-0.html)

1. Quality:

Solid and neat build, very good precision virtually everything, things like BCO 18mms slide in the EP holders smoothly, yet not slacken a bit; or the plastic rings for fitting the GKs into 2" focuser, they just fit right there with under mm precision and don't fall down into the diagonal. Also like other quality stuffs, there's this very good instruction manual available for understanding how to use binoviewer properly.

http://www.alpineastro.com/Binoviewers/Maxbright%20Binoviewer%20Instructions.pdf

2. Achieving focus:

SCT: As we all know, SCT has lots of back focus, and is one the most binoviewer friendly scope, no problem at all to achieve focus even without any GK.

Refractor: 80ED has only about 70mm back focus, when using 2" diagonal, the Maxbright can only achieve focus with the 2.6x GK together with a T2 type converter in place of the 2" eyepiece holder. but, if a barlow is added in front of the 1.25" nosepiece, (even if only the 1.3X or 1.5x part of a barlow) the focus can be achieved easily with/without a GK in ehther 1.25" or 2" diagonal.

3. Viewing:

It's a little more difficult than viewing through a usual binocular as mentioned the manual above, to merge the image that come from two EPs, not only the interpuillary distance should be correct, eye placement need to be quite precise too if your eyes are unflexible as mine. My son had no problem at all to get a merged image, and it took me a while to find mine.

I've only looked at Jupiter and the Moon with Maxbright. The viewing is just as good as many others have decribed, simply excellent. The power of brain with view through two eyes surpass the effect of less total light, the merged image has some kind of 3D effect not present in a single EP view. The same details in Jupiter seen in 127x(16mm MV) with single EP were present in 192x with Maxbright, the almost full moon could be viewed in 294x with Maxbright comfortably, without any disturbing floaters :smiley:

To sum it up, it can be a little hassle to use it (changing GK), some practice to find your eye placement, but the views through it and comfort of viewing can really make you stare in Jupiter or the Moon for hours, if it's not freezing cold or you're on hands or knees. i.e.

Very nice review.

Very happy with my Maxbright. One thing I didn't realise before buying was that it does comes with compression rings (the product photo I saw did not show compression rings), so that was a nice bonus on arrival. I think you can use either screws or compression rings with it, as far as I recall.

Archived