Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD for Dummies

sbooder

Hi All,

I do not consider myself a stupid person but I feel I must be alone when I think that the whole process of even downloading and installing EQMOD convoluted and all over the place.

Could anyone tell me if there is a pdf or the like with a step by step in order set of instructions out there that takes into account that an idiot might be trying to get it to work from download to controlling the mount?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Simon,

Astronomy is a technical subject, PC based automation of astronomy even more so. There is no documentation for EQMOD that has been prepared with idiots in mind - only an idiot could write such a document (as non idiots can't think like idiots do) and who would trust a document written by an idiot? EQMOD assumes that those using it are fully competent using and administering PC's and Windows (this includes the installation of hardware and software, the management of communications ports, the assignment of rights etc.). If folks don't have those skills they would be well advised to get them prior to dabbling with ASCOM/EQMOD and the like.

I can understand that the process of setting up a remote control system for your mount may well seem convoluted and all over the place but this is because you are in effect combining different products, from different suppliers to build an overall system that is customised for your own specific equipment set. This is never going to be a trivial thing.

EQMOD has extensive documentation (some installs with it) and there are documents on the EQMOD Project website (including a quick start guide) and tutuorial videos on youtube. However, please be aware that EQMOD documentation naturally focuses on the functions of EQMOD itself  - it isn't going to get into how to install the ASCOM Platform (no point event trying EQMOAD if you don't have that installed first), nor is it going to tell you how to install/debug third party hardware drivers, nor how to use your planetarium software. Should you run into specific problems then there are generally folks online who will offer pertinent advice - EQMOD has its own dedicated support group, as does ASCOM.

The process of downloading and installing EQMOD itself is simple - go to the EQMOD sourceforge site and find out the latest release of EQASCOM (the EQMOD ASCOM driver) and hit the associated download button - alternatively you can join the EQMOD group and download the latest test release from the files section there. To install EQMOD you then run the executable you just downloaded. 

Chris.

Simon, Chris has produced some excellent video tutorials on you tube, supports the EQMOD yahoo group and there is a lot of info on the EQMOD website.  Installing it is no different to downloading and installing any other PC application.  What I think you are finding difficult to grasp is what pre-requisites you need and how the communications work, which is where those video tutorials come in.

Visit the EQMOD website http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html and download EQASCOM from the link

Visit ASCOM website  http://ascom-standards.org/ and download the ASCOM platform

Purchase an EQDIRECT cable for around £30 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html - These can be made, but as you are looking for a dummies guide then I suggest you purchase the device

Install the ASCOM platform and any updates it suggests.  Plug the cable in to you mount and PC.  Normally Windows will install the correct driver, or it may be provided with the cable. Then install EQMOD.  The cable will show up as a COM port on the PC and all you need to do is use the EQASCOM TOOL BOX option to set up the connection.  Browse the EQASCOM folder from the start >all programs option on the PC.  Once connected you should then be able to launch EQMOD and having set the slew rate to 4 move the scope by clicking on the NSEW buttons.

The next step is to download a suitable astronomy program that supports the ASCOM platform and select the EQMOD as the method of control.  Once done you should be able to select an object in that software and instruct the telescope to slew to that position.

Its not rocket science, but with a little bit of research you'll soon pick kit up.

If it was at all difficult to get running i for one wouldn't bother, i read and watched the tutorials it worked first time, i'm still sorting my way through all the options but i am really happy with the way it has gone, so read, write down bits you need to know, install and have fun....

Purchase an EQDIRECT cable for around £30 http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html - These can be made, but as you are looking for a dummies guide then I suggest you purchase the device

Their previous version of this product required a separate driver to be installed (see here). Does this new version no longer require that?  If so, then at least that's one less bit of software to worry about.

Hi Simon,

Astronomy is a technical subject, PC based automation of astronomy even more so. There is no documentation for EQMOD that has been prepared with idiots in mind - only an idiot could write such a document (as non idiots can't think like idiots do) and who would trust a document written by an idiot? EQMOD assumes that those using it are fully competent using and administering PC's and Windows (this includes the installation of hardware and software, the management of communications ports, the assignment of rights etc.). If folks don't have those skills they would be well advised to get them prior to dabbling with ASCOM/EQMOD and the like.

I can understand that the process of setting up a remote control system for your mount may well seem convoluted and all over the place but this is because you are in effect combining different products, from different suppliers to build an overall system that is customised for your own specific equipment set. This is never going to be a trivial thing.

EQMOD has extensive documentation (some installs with it) and there are documents on the EQMOD Project website (including a quick start guide) and tutuorial videos on youtube. However, please be aware that EQMOD documentation naturally focuses on the functions of EQMOD itself  - it isn't going to get into how to install the ASCOM Platform (no point event trying EQMOAD if you don't have that installed first), nor is it going to tell you how to install/debug third party hardware drivers, nor how to use your planetarium software. Should you run into specific problems then there are generally folks online who will offer pertinent advice - EQMOD has its own dedicated support group, as does ASCOM.

The process of downloading and installing EQMOD itself is simple - go to the EQMOD sourceforge site and find out the latest release of EQASCOM (the EQMOD ASCOM driver) and hit the associated download button - alternatively you can join the EQMOD group and download the latest test release from the files section there. To install EQMOD you then run the executable you just downloaded. 

Chris.

Is Astronomy technical...gee thanks!  

Anyway I stayed up until 4am watching all the EQMOD vids and found the wiki docs which were good.  Sorry I did not reply earlier to tell you all that I had sussed it but I have been doing something very un-technical all day...installing the Rowan Astronomy NEQ6 Belt conversion.

I wish I was clever enough to do the conversion...Oh wait, I am.

Anyway I stayed up until 4am watching all the EQMOD vids and found the wiki docs which were good.  Sorry I did not reply earlier to tell you all that I had sussed it but I have been doing something very un-technical all day...installing the Rowan Astronomy NEQ6 Belt conversion.

I'm sure that this wasn't meant as sarcastic as it's come across :smiley: Chris and his EQMOD work has absolutely revolutionised the way that many astronomers work, he's done it all for free download for us all, as well as producing video's to help.

In your OP you inferred that you felt an idiot with the way it all needed to work together and that probably set the tone for the replies - Assumptions were made on all sides.

I hope that you get EQMOD working - I kicked against it for some time thinking that it was too difficult to get to work - In reality I have found it to be brilliant :smiley:

i think from what i`ve come across and learned over the few years i`ve been at this hobby, and not totally understanding of all the computer jargon, i.e. eqmod, eqascom, ascom platform and so on, is it can be alittle confusing to us mortal types, especially as the software in all departments seems to updated at regualr intervals and that not all versions work together well.

although i`ve been using eqmod for some time now and love the way it works, and which for me is alot better than using the handset, it might be nice for maybe one webpage to access all departments with a numbered list of things need to optimal performance.

i think that this is what sbooder was trying to get at in his first post.

Oh - Its looks like you may have taken offence at my response? Sorry, that really wasn't my intention  - you specifically asked for help taking into account that an "idiot" might be at work. In that context I chose to start with a very basic statement. Over the years I've dealt with numerous support requests that contain the tag lines "....oh, and I'm not good with computers" or "....I'm not technically minded". This does indicate to me that there are quite a few folks who come into this hobby oblivious to its nature and the challenges they will inevitably face.

Chris

Chris.

"Take offence" Not really, I like to be a bit sarcy myself, hence the reply. 

What I really meant was that I think the whole process seems to be a bit bitty.  Two examples are, 1, the fact you have to go all over the shop to download everything which for open sauce software is a little strange and in some literature they call a particular bit of software something different than the file name. 

And 2, In the wiki the instillation guide confused me because it says and I quote "Before you try installing EQMOD, make sure you have installed the ASCOM driver"  now as far as I can tell (because I spent 2 hours looking for it) there is no actual bit of software to download called EQMOD? (correct me please if I am wrong and provide link, it is doing my head in).

As a website designer and CMS consultant who writes css & php I am used to working with the more techi side of things but this just drove me mad.

What I really meant was that I think the whole process seems to be a bit bitty.  Two examples are, 1, the fact you have to go all over the shop to download everything which for open sauce software is a little strange and in some literature they call a particular bit of software something different than the file name. 

And 2, In the wiki the instillation guide confused me because it says and I quote "Before you try installing EQMOD, make sure you have installed the ASCOM driver"  now as far as I can tell (because I spent 2 hours looking for it) there is no actual bit of software to download called EQMOD? (correct me please if I am wrong and provide link, it is doing my head in).

EQMOD is "a suite of open source applications". There's no single program called EQMOD.

The Quickstart guide is about as easy to follow as you could ask for IMHO. The biggest problem that I had was jumping ahead. Once I RTFM and worked through the Quickstart i was up an running in no-time

EQMOD is "a suite of open source applications". There's no single program called EQMOD.

My point!  Anyway I have it all up and running now with Stellarium.  I was trying to get it to work with Starry Night Pro but it seems unable to find the Ascom plugin.

My point!  Anyway I have it all up and running now with Stellarium.  I was trying to get it to work with Starry Night Pro but it seems unable to find the Ascom plugin.

To be fair, it does say this on the front screen!

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/introindex.html

I always had problems with Stellarium. It's a shame that it doesnt support ASCOM. Try Carte du Ciel...it's not as user friendly or as pretty as Stellarium, but it works much better.

As a website designer and CMS consultant who writes css & php I am used to working with the more techi side of things but this just drove me mad.

The EQMOD Project was initially setup as a means of developing, testing and distributing software for the synta mounts. The EQMOD ASCOM driver was the first thing to really take off and folks simply referred to it as EQMOD. When the project expanded to deliver more 'products' such as EQMosaic, EQTour, EQMODLX etx. the EQASCOM was formalised as the 'official' name for the ASCOM driver as "EQMOD" could quite easily refer to any of the software produced by the group. However, EQMOD still remains the most widely used term in common usage when referring to the EQMOD ASCOM driver and after all these years I can't see that changing.

If you read through the overview and per-requisites sections of the EQMOD Project website you will find that the software on offer,  and its role was I thought clearly described. Each product  has a further webpage dedicated to specifically to it. There is a banner link to the souceforge repository where  all of the EQMOD Project software resides. I know some of this is rather clunky and there may well be mistakes and inconsistencies if you find them, or have suggestions for improvements then just post on the EQMOD Yahoo group to let the relevant folks know. However please keep in mind that all of the materiel produced has been done so by volunteers in their own time and for absolutely no reward -  we are actually lucky to have any of it .

"open source" has never meant "single source". The strength of ASCOM is that it provides a "pick and mix" solution for astronomy automation - perhaps you were not prepared for this aspect. It is up to you to chose the software that will provide your planetarium, autoguider, platesolver, image capture, sequencing control, autofocusing, mount driver, camera driver, filter driver, focuser driver etc. Its fair so say there is quite a choice out there and there is no right or wrong solution . You will find commercial, shareware and open source options available, from many different sources and with different licensing models etc. ASCOM simply provides the glue for these separate applications to work together. Some products such as ACP and Maxim can mop up many  functions within a single application but this generally comes at a price. The inevitable consequence of the flexibly that ASCOM provides means that you will have take software from various independent sources - but this is surely not a new thing for PC owners. If you want a driver for your HP printer you are best of going to the HP website, if you have a samsung you go to the samsung site etc. If you want EQMOD software then the EQMOD sourceforge site is the place to go for it and if you want test releases the EQMOD yahoo group is the place to go. However, please note that EQMOD is released under an open source license that allows anyone, commercial or otherwise, to release and distribute, so there may be other downloads around (The PEMPRO author for a while distributed his own modified version of EQASCOM).

Chris.

I too have managed to get it all up and running.  Apologies for initial misunderstanding I love it now I have it running.  All I need now is EQDIR cable and about 20 meters of USB extension cable and I can run the scope from my shed at last.

I too have managed to get it all up and running.  Apologies for initial misunderstanding I love it now I have it running.  All I need now is EQDIR cable and about 20 meters of USB extension cable and I can run the scope from my shed at last.

To be honest, you would be better off using a small dedicated PC in the shed and use a network cable between the router and PC.  Most USB cables need actively boosting after 5m so chaining 4 or more together is not ideal.

You might possibly get away with a long serial cable between the PC and shed, and then fit the serial / usb adapter on the end of the cable so that the EQdirect connects direct.  However most modern day computers do not have serial ports.. so that might negate that option

You might possibly get away with a long serial cable between the PC and shed, and then fit the serial / usb adapter on the end of the cable so that the EQdirect connects direct.  However most modern day computers do not have serial ports.. so that might negate that option

How do most people run their mount from any distance without using bluetooth?  I was going to use one of these

Archived