Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BIG Dob in stocking !

What's this big dob lark their rubbish! I was gonna go big but it's logistics that rule here not size not money not ladders not coma not anything else... Listen up guys a lump is great wheeling from a shed to set up 10ft away (auspom has seen the trek it makes!) but putting it in a car to take to dark skies and let's face it that what these things are built for,is a whole new ball-game trust me nobody was gonna change my mind.... Except common sense good luck with what ever you choose...oh and welcome to the dob mob!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cal is right, it's very easy to get caught up in what I want rather than what I can live with. A big scope turning up at the door is not the time to start worrying about where you will store it. Planning a big scope is the key to a happy relationship with it.

Trying to lift a big, heavy, delicate mirror box is a no-no. You need to look at wheeling them about. Big scopes kinda require a different mindset. This is one of the biggest problems with the mass produced budget big scopes. They simply don't offer any options on how one actually moves their scopes.

Quite how one is supposed to get the 16" Flextube OTA onto its mount on your own hasn't even been considered by their design team. How one negotiates a doorway with the 16" LB rocker box in ones arms :eek: Makes me wonder what on earth these big companies are paying their designers for.

Have a good look at some of these scopes before you buy. Most owners are pretty honest and will tell you their shortcomings.

Cal is right, it's very easy to get caught up in what I want rather than what I can live with. A big scope turning up at the door is not the time to start worrying about where you will store it. Planning a big scope is the key to a happy relationship with it.

Trying to lift a big, heavy, delicate mirror box is a no-no. You need to look at wheeling them about. Big scopes kinda require a different mindset. This is one of the biggest problems with the mass produced budget big scopes. They simply don't offer any options on how one actually moves their scopes.

Quite how one is supposed to get the 16" Flextube OTA onto its mount on your own hasn't even been considered by their design team. How one negotiates a doorway with the 16" LB rocker box in ones arms :eek: Makes me wonder what on earth these big companies are paying their designers for.

Have a good look at some of these scopes before you buy. Most owners are pretty honest and will tell you their shortcomings.

Indeed, I don't think I'll be happy taking my monster dob out in the car as it's heavy.

Big dobs are big. When you seem them online, imagine them actually larger than life, which they actually are. I had the neighbours staring out of the window when they saw just ONE of the boxes. The dob arrived on a wooden pallet!

I have made modifications on mine to make it fit through the door and bought a sack truck to heft it about. Fortunately I had been planning for this for some months and made the necessary attitude adjustments to being a happy big dob owner.

Who wants to send it back when you realise you've made a mistake?

I've got to say though, the feeling of frustration is more intense as well when your night of observing is cut short caused by LP or cloud. At least with a smaller scope you can just easily lift it indoors.

But the payoff, when it comes in the shape of a dark, clear night, is well worth it. :)

I'm lucky in the fact that I'm not tight for storage space nor access but the design of the Obsession 18" & 22" looks great.

Are the quality of optics from this manufacturer as good as stated ? Does anyone on this forum have hands on experience ?

anything above 14" is  labour.Specially if it is a factory built scope.You better see them in flesh before you buy them.Transportation might not be an issue,but getting the scope in and out of the vehicle will be.I can just imagine the size of 18 -22" scope and that is seriously big instrument, even beastly huge one.To commit that sort of money to such instrument you better weight up all the pros and cons first.Large aperture is nice,no questions there,but it can become a major pain in the back too very quickly.

i dont have dedicated storage so my scope comes out and goes back into house every time and it is on its limits,maybe even a slight overkill what a single person can handle.You have to be physically fit to get the scope mounted by a single person.

if you have some sort of bad back or any other health issues,better forget about big apertures.

Pictures are mis-leading and majority of times will not show the real share size of the beast.i was shocked when i saw the boxes turning up in the yard and not one but 2 people lifting them out of the delivery van!

Thanks god i didnt order the 16" version and really big thanks to Andrew who talked me out of the idea of it!

I'm lucky in the fact that I'm not tight for storage space nor access but the design of the Obsession 18" & 22" looks great. Are the quality of optics from this manufacturer as good as stated ? Does anyone on this forum have hands on experience ?

I have had the pleasure of using a "classic" obsession 18". Truly superb scope. The way it moves, the finish and craftsmanship are top class. The views were breathtaking, so I would say the optics were very good. I had a 16" LB at the time. Upon using the obsession i decided I must have a scope like this and started to plan my next scope build accordingly.

If you can afford an obsession I'd have absolutely no hesitation in recommending one.

Thanks to all for the good advice , I'm going to put the Obsession 18" UC on my wish list and see what happens. Size / weight issue does not seem too much of a concern after watching the demo video via the link kindly posted by Danny although I may have some of your words ringing in my ears if I've got it all wrong.

We shall wait and see .........

Thanks to all for the good advice , I'm going to put the Obsession 18" UC on my wish list and see what happens. Size / weight issue does not seem too much of a concern after watching the demo video via the link kindly posted by Danny although I may have some of your words ringing in my ears if I've got it all wrong.

you cant go wrong with an obsession :D see you wed ;)

Look, no one is going to berate you or say "I told you so!!"

I ended up justifying it by saying that one day I might get too old to lug a gurt lightbucket around so now's the perfect time! :)

Archived