NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky at Night Programme

daz

Just watched S@N from Jan's magazine - November's programme - which covered the annular ecplise and of course Mars. They had a little section with PM going over his first sketches he made when he was 12, in the early 30's!!!!

I thought that was fantastic, 70 odd years of sketches, notes and observations! Makes me take a look at my observational habits and asking myself if I could still read mine in 70 years!!!!

Just watched S@N from Jan's magazine - November's programme - which covered the annular ecplise and of course Mars. They had a little section with PM going over his first sketches he made when he was 12, in the early 30's!!!!

I thought that was fantastic, 70 odd years of sketches, notes and observations! Makes me take a look at my observational habits and asking myself if I could still read mine in 70 years!!!!

I have difficulty reading my log after 70 minutes!

I have difficulty reading my log after 70 minutes!

I know what you mean Ian! I've just looked back at my notes from the 4th and I can hardly read them!! Must learn to write properly sometime ....... :clouds2:

Patrick Moore was one of my boyhood heroes. I got "The Boy's Book of Space" for Christmas, about 1956, and read anything I could find by him for years. I never got the chance to see "Sky at Night" as I came to Canada in 1957. Thanks to the magazine, I have now seen two episodes, but if I had stayed in England, I am sure I would have seen most of them. I've always enjoyed Sir Patrick's writing, and I hope he stays around to do much more.

Yes Patrick Moore has always been an inspiration to me. i read all his books as a kid, still find them informative and enjoyable to read.

Sad thing now is i am doing what i vowed i never would. Spending less time on astronomy. Business is taking over so much qt present.

Still once money starts to come in and a few depts have been cleared i will invest in a meade. Has been my childhood dream to own one of these.

Hope also now i have my laptop to have a go at doing some imaging.

BUt i still need a Toucam Pro II Webcamera with adapter :-(

Oh well i am sure i will get there eventually :-)

Al

Hi all,

Patrick's observational logs certainly are very impressive - I've spent many an hour just looking through them - a wonderful record of a fruitful astronomical life. He often laments missing out on the digital age and I think it's true that (as long as you keep your images) these too will provide a fascinating record for many modern astronomers.

There's a S@N special on the Moon coming up in February. I don't think this is part of the regular monthly scheduling though - it's something else. There's a wonderful bit with Dr Allan Chapman, Patrick, a bowl of clay and a catapault. You'll have to watch the programme to see the result though :lol:

Well, I now keep a written log of my oberving sessions and when I get round to doing any sketches, they will be logged to. I hate to think of turning to my GrandChildren and saying "Nope, Grandad hasn't got anything for you to look back at".

Archived