NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Ison Outburst

laser_jock99

http://spaceweather.com/

Multiple observers are reporting that Comet ISON brightened sharply last night. It started the week as an 8th magnitude object invisible to the human eye, but now it has surged to the threshold of naked-eye visibility. "The comet is definitely much brighter than before,"..........Apparently, Comet ISON has surged in brightness by approximately 2 magnitudes in little more than 24 hours. If the trend continues, it could be a faint but easy naked-eye object by the end of the week.

Looks quite promising?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks jock,

I normally keep an eye on spaceweather but hadnt spotted this article. Its going to brighten as it gets close to the sun but the big test will be if it can brighten enough to be seen in the dawn twighlight in the next week.

after that it will emerge from the back of the sun as a sunset comet and hopefully the cooking wont have burned it to nothing but it will fade quickly by mid dec, althouh it will be moving into darker skies as it fades.

cheers

14 degrees above the horizon tomorrow morning at 5.50am with spica about 7 degrees above the horizon .... so if you can see spica then ison is visible too.

I saw ison 10 days ago and it was showing signs of a tail but at that time my 20x80 bins couldnt get it, but my big dob obviously managed. With the dob it was about a third of a degree in length.

if I was you id have some binoculars in the car and be looking for a decent south eastern horizon.

cheers

14 degrees above the horizon tomorrow morning at 5.50am with spica about 7 degrees above the horizon .... so if you can see spica then ison is visible too.

I saw ison 10 days ago and it was showing signs of a tail but at that time my 20x80 bins couldnt get it, but my big dob obviously managed. With the dob it was about a third of a degree in length.

if I was you id have some binoculars in the car and be looking for a decent south eastern horizon.

cheers

I always carry 8 x 40's in the car but I'll take my 10 x 50's in the morning and go to a site just beyond my work. There is a bit of a park there. Weather permitting!

its getting quite scary now , looked on http://www.isoncampaign.org/ they are saying it could be due to fragmentation , but they are not sure but advising get a look as soon as possible just in case ,         i think a hell of a lot of people will be upset if this does happen, ...    so fingers toes crossed

its getting quite scary now , looked on http://www.isoncampaign.org/ they are saying it could be due to fragmentation , but they are not sure but advising get a look as soon as possible just in case ,         i think a hell of a lot of people will be upset if this does happen, ...    so fingers toes crossed

There'll be a lot of people wanting their money back if this things flops :D

cheers

Ive been away the last 3 days in a hotel on the seafront on the east coast of Ireland. I wasnt sleeping too well and all i had was a set of 10x50 bins with me and SkySafari on my phone. At about 5am..........i was looking out with my bins and i spotted ISON.

A tried for ISON a few days ago and failed to find it. However today I managed to convince myself that it was visible in my 10x50's. In truth it was just a slightly lighter blur than the background sky (half observation and half imagination). However when I pulled out my 25x100s and looked in the same place, the comet was clearly visible. Still just a blurry ball with a slight tail visible, but definitely comet-shaped.

I'm not a morning person so.... HANG IN THERE ISON ! Just take a deep breath. Close ur eyes and we'll see you on the other side :)

Both my observing sites are best placed for evening (Western Horizon) observation. I'm also hoping the evening apparition is up to expectations.

Archived