NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stunning Video result

Dragon Man

Tom from Evansville Indiana is currently broadcasting on Night Skies Network, stunning all of us with his Live views.

He is using an 11" SCT at f5 with a Mallincam Xtreme X2 camera.

With Tom's permission here is a screen Grab of NGC 891 from his broadcast, Screen Grabbed about 2 minutes ago:

post-32182-0-95928100-1383893090_thumb.j

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow those are great shots.  Wish I had the sky for that.  My area is extremely light poluted.  It seems anything over 20-30 sec is complety washed out.  Love to see whats possible with dark skies and great equipment!

Wow those are great shots.  Wish I had the sky for that.  My area is extremely light poluted.  It seems anything over 20-30 sec is complety washed out.  Love to see whats possible with dark skies and great equipment!

Hemmi, Tom lives in heavy Light Pollution at Evansville Indiana.

I went to look at where he lives in Google and it is like any other city. Lots of Light  :embarrassed:

But that is one of the advantages of the sensitive Video cameras we use. They aren't affected by Light Pollution or thin cloud like normal Astro Imaging cameras are  :smiley:

If you have really bad Light pollution a UHC filter will help.

But that is one of the advantages of the sensitive Video cameras we use. They aren't affected by Light Pollution or thin cloud like normal Astro Imaging cameras are  :smiley:

If you have really bad Light pollution a UHC filter will help.

Um... maybe I've missed something but this could lead to a storm in a tea cup.

Both cameras cannot distinguish between a signal that is the object or light polution - only a filter or post processing will..

Um... maybe I've missed something but this could lead to a storm in a tea cup.

Both cameras cannot distinguish between a signal that is the object or light polution - only a filter or post processing will..

It use to cause a few arguments at our Astronomy camps too until I showed them  :grin:

I got two Imagers to take an image of NGC 253 while we were waiting for thin cloud to part.

They both got images of grey cloud.

Then they walked over to my set-up and saw that I happily had a Live view of NGC 253 sitting on the screen.

They were amazed  :grin:

I have been Broadcasting on NSN and wondered why I couldn't get focus quite spot on, only to look outside to find total cloud cover.  :laugh:

Which is interesting because many Imaging cameras and Video cameras share the same sensor.

Matthew, I think Tom said it was at 420 seconds with NO AGC!

He is now on NGC 1501, the Crystal ball nebula (aka Kiwi) at 240 seconds.

Here is a screen Grab I just got in between typing this post:

Excellent images Ken from Tom's NSN - as perhaps you'd expect from long exposures like these :police: But when did 7 min exposure [1st pic] become video???  It's almost the same as CCD imaging  :cool:   

Maurice, Tom is using a Mallincam Video camera and the images are being show semi-live.

Plus I doubt this Video Forum is going to Nit-Pick about what length of exposure time constitutes being acceptable as Video.

This isn't the 'other' forum.  :smiley:

I got to see the Northern Hemisphere sky from down here within minutes. That's seems pretty good to me  :laugh:

Excellent images Ken from Tom's NSN - as perhaps you'd expect from long exposures like these :police: But when did 7 min exposure [1st pic] become video???  It's almost the same as CCD imaging  :cool:   

Maurice you finally came out here and starting this debate again!! This is not cloudy Nights Sir! At lease these images are on the fly adjusted not like what you show on the Video Electronic CN group. Give it a rest I am sure no one here wants discussions taking place here we had enough of it on CN with you always bashing the MC over jealousy. I have asked you multiple of times to come out straight and go on NSN to prove that your camera is showing the images posted as near real-time without the post processing and you have avoided or ignored the challenge. To this group "I am sorry to say this here but this guy is too much and he is starting his BS on here"!  

Chris A

Astrogate

Maurice you finally came out here and starting this debate again!! This is not cloudy Nights Sir! At lease these images are on the fly adjusted not like what you show on the Video Electronic CN group. Give it a rest I am sure no one here wants discussions taking place here we had enough of it on CN with you always bashing the MC over jealousy. I have asked you multiple of times to come out straight and go on NSN to prove that your camera is showing the images posted as near real-time without the post processing and you have avoided or ignored the challenge. To this group "I am sorry to say this here but this guy is too much and he is starting his BS on here"!  

Chris A

Astrogate

I forgot to say Maurice when the day comes when you can prove that your glorified Lodestar C guider can match these stunning results that Tom has captured and this means "On the fly adjustments and not post processing", then you can make comments but please DO NOT criticize someone else work like you just did with Tom exposure times!

Chris A

Archived