Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light taster- Atik 11000 and SW 150ED

Tim

Finally managed to put all the various bits and pieces back together in my obsy, and managed to grab 7 x 30 mins and 1 x 20 mins of the Horsey and the Flame in Ha.

Glad to see that the flattener on the 150ED does a reasonable job, even on this big chip camera. Image uncropped.

Thanks for looking

Tim

get.jpg

No problem with the spacing on this one Tim - Stars pinsharp and round right to the corners :smiley:.  The 11000 with the 150 on the GM1000 looks like being a very productive setup... and I like the processing too - The one time I tried this area myself, I really struggled with Alnitak...  Are you going to add RGB to this?

Thanks all. I am pleased with the lack of dominance of Alnitak, it usually ruins this area. I haven't done any processing apart from levels, so the stars are WYSIWYG.

Might add some colour, I need to learn the technique though, the 11000 seems more responsive to green and blue than to red, so need to work out the ratios.

Cheers

Tim

Great image Tim.  I'm sure I'm not the only person who's been hoping to see more from your 150.

It clearly works well with the Atik 11000.  I've been considering both myself, but am finding it hard to reconcile the cost of the camera (the scope looks like the biggest bargain since the Tec 140 if you have the budget).  I was hoping it would undercut the SBIG STXL by a bigger margin, considering the american offering has significantly more advanced spec (cooling, ethernet).  The self guiding filter wheel deal looks quite attractive, although admittedly this is 2k more than the bare atik.

But in the end, although some people need the area, and therefore have to work with the relatively poor QE (especially in the Ha area), paying all that cash for a ccd which appears to catch photons about as well as a tennis racquet (when compared to an icx694 or kaf3200), would be a bit hard to swallow.  I know the big pixels help, and your image shows plenty of Ha, but 30% QE at the red end of a mono ccd has to make images like this take much longer.  Please don't take that as negative, I Iove the photo, but am trying hard to convince myself not to drop 4k on a big chip camera....

Hope to see even more soon, a big galaxy or two in LRGBHa maybe?

Jack 

Thanks all. I am pleased with the lack of dominance of Alnitak, it usually ruins this area. I haven't done any processing apart from levels, so the stars are WYSIWYG.

Might add some colour, I need to learn the technique though, the 11000 seems more responsive to green and blue than to red, so need to work out the ratios.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry Tim, your post is ITAPTMOGLM.

Olly

*Incomprehensible To A Pre Text Messaging :huh: ld gimmer Like Me.

But stop press, I just worked it out!! When You Sing It Wets Your Garden! And it's so true. It works every time for me.

Congrats!

I assume you shot that unguided, right?

I have found that with proper data - proper being lots of subs to get noise down - I do not have to handle the stars at all. Naturally, that doesn't go for all images, but most I think. Interesting scope. I am in the market for a big frac eventually and am almost on the verge of placing a down payment for a TEC140...

What kind of imaging circle can your 150 do?

/per

Sorry Olly, "what you see is what you get" is a common term in our day to day business.. :p

Per, this was guided, haven't had time to build much of a model since coming back from Kelling. I'm not sure about the imaging circle of the 150ED, only to say that the 2" filters I am using slightly vignette the sensor.

Jack/Per/et al.......if anybody wishes to see more raw data or examples from the 150 just shout. I have some more pics to post from Kelling using a colour camera too at some point.

Did you see this one?

get.jpg

I will be doing a full review at some point soon, just rushed off my feet at the moment. Suffice to say for now that the detail that comes through, in the way of sharp nebula edges, tiny hidden stars (check the full size version of M31) is really thrilling. I have a bit more of M31 with NGC206 in yet to post, really pleased with that one, even though the wind was blowing a gale.

I was lucky enough to have the 150ED on loan, but I have decided to purchase it, I can't imagine going back to less capable optics tbh. If I can get a short fast refractor as well my stable will be complete (C11 edge, 150ED, 100mm F3-4????) (C9.25 and Quattro going up for sale soon)

Jack, being used to the sensitivity of the Sony exview chips, the 11000 is considerably less sensitive in red/Ha. However, I didn't buy the 11000, it was a prize, and so far i'm very pleased with it :)

Cheers

Tim

I find the 11000 pretty good in Ha. I haven't done a back to back with a Sony though. It would be interesting.

Vignetting; I use 2 inch mounted filters, though I should have gone for unmounted for a bit more aperture. Still, at F7 and with flattener the TEC is remarkably evenly illuminated. Serioulsy flat. Vignetting is minimal. At F5 it is more pronounced but still comes out in the flats.

Olly

Archived