Hello to long cold nights outdoors (cloud permitting)

rgvsean

Hello all.

New owner of a Celestron Nexstar 6 - I've always been interested in science (although by no means academic), especially physics and one of my favourite books/lectures is 'motion of the planets.....' by Richard Feynman. 

I've previously only used some Celestron bino's to look around and have managed to observe Jupiter's moons with them. I just could not bring myself to buy a scope, the bewildering choice put me off.

Then after buying a DSLR and realising how expensive big lenses are it seemed easier to learn how to use it properly (ie not in auto) & buy a telescope instead of a big lens (dual purpose).

After spending about 6 months being unable to settle on one brand or another I chose this one because it seemed a good option for size - easy to lug outside, tube removes from mount for upgrading and transport and a reasonable price plus putting a DSLR on the back doesn't seem to upset it balance wise.

Once I've got the hang of it I plan to make a wedge for it.

I'm not sure I'll be posting much (unless I get some good pictures), this seems a fantastic resource and I'll probably be able to find most answers by searching!

Sean

Hi Sean,

Welcome to SGL. I went through a similar phase of bewilderment and like you settled on the 6SE too. Every scope is a compromise - weight, size, cost, light gathering so you will never have it all in one scope, and will always lust after the one you haven't got.

Joe

Archived