NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What can you do in 50 minutes?

ollypenrice

We get lots of clear skies here but last night wasn't one of them! After 50 minutes valley mist had climbed up the hill and drowned us. However, our guest Alex wanted to go through the processing business so we did what we could with one ten minute sub per colour and two ten minute lums. SO here's our fifty minute M33. I was quite surprised.

Olly

50%20Mn%20M33-L.jpg

Hey Olly,

I am sure with all your excellent viewing you get there (and multiple bits of equipment) I am sure that you can do some real world tests and settle some of these debates that keep cropping up...like...how does a set of 10x1 minute subs compare to this 1x10 minute set of subs :evil:

Once I get my AstroTrac tracking for 10 minute subs at 500mm I hope to get something like this :rolleyes:

Hey Olly,

I am sure with all your excellent viewing you get there (and multiple bits of equipment) I am sure that you can do some real world tests and settle some of these debates that keep cropping up...like...how does a set of 10x1 minute subs compare to this 1x10 minute set of subs :evil:

Once I get my AstroTrac tracking for 10 minute subs at 500mm I hope to get something like this :rolleyes:

I've settled that one to my own satisfaction and can offer a view, but I don't want to get drawn into an argy-bargy about it!! Fewer longer exposures, at my dark site, knock seven bells out of more shorter ones. That's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. It's actually rare to blow out bright parts of images with long subs. This Horse and Flame used 10 minute subs at F3.9 but still it was possible to keep Alnitak down by processing in Layers with multiple stretches. I could have got a clearer split of the Alnitak double but settled for this level of control for the sake of a natural look. http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-CdR3znb/0/X3/HH%20NEB%20HaLRGB%207HRS%20overlay%20copyIMPROVED-X3.jpg

Great result within the time frame. M33 was always my Nemesis....... clouds rolling in, wind, tracking errors or green filters. Which scope did you use?

This was with a Tak FSQ106N/Atik 11000s.

Olly

What can I say that hasn't already been said about your images Olly?

You are truly a master of this "dark art"

Amazing shots all of them.

Keep giving inspiration and aspiration to us mere mortal imagers. :-)

Archived