Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been at winscar since 6pm, cloudy & raining. BBC says clearing up at 10pm, but that's another 2 hours to wait, so heading home now.

What car park were u in I was there from 6:50 and no one about. I'm home now and and not happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to say due to nights I wasn't able to attend.

Apologies to Mark and everyone else who's been up and missed one another due to the poor communication on here.

If the weather is clear tomorrow night I will post if I'm going to venture up around 9pm if anyone else wishes to attempt it again.

I shall have to point out the direction to the other car park next time we are up there Matt, but it is down the hill from the main car park turn right down through dunford bridge up towards Manchester then a right turn at the water board sign. Also on the WADAS website.

Damian

Soupy did say meet at the resovoir car park as it was the

Larger carpark. But for all those that ventured out too early the forcast was for clear skies 10pm onwards before that was snow, sorry if you had a wasted trip but you need to keep an eye on the forecast as meeting times become restricted due to weather conditions.

Couldn't get down there this evening as I have absolutely no idea how to get there. Didn't have the guts to make my first outing knowing the weather could be bad there. Must do a dry run in the daylight so I know for next time we arrange to meet. I did, however, manage to get out for an hour when the rabble had gone to bed and left me quiet. Nice clear skies now in Horbury, and I spotted 3 whilst I was out. All of them were in a similar place, just above the Pleiades. Started dropping cold and my glass of wine was empty so I have just come back in. Hopefully, some others of you have managed to spot a few. Hoping for clear skies again tomorrow! :)

Sounds like you have all had an adventure... Sorry if you all missed each other, and sorry I wasn't able to make it. Kielder skies were calling and they were clear as a bell... Seen about 10 but battery on camera has died, moon is out and lens is freezing over so have come in...

Hope you manage clear skies tomorrow.

I'm gonna scout it out with the kids in daylight, car park to meet in (for future reference) is the big one (signposted one) and not the little sailing club one I found?

I'll also get someone's number next time so I can double check I'm in the right place. Didn't help that for some reason my satnav decided that the postcode on our website should be in the centre of Sheffield! So bit of an adventure :), first time it's let me down!

I did find a slightly different one on the sailing club site that my satnav likes better.

There are two car parks and it can be confusing, if no one has turned up at one I have always made my way to the other, they are literally 5 mins from each other.

Phone numbers are a great idea but bear in mind there is very little signal there neither.

If anyone needs my number for next time pm me with yours and I'll text you back :)

Here are the skies from Kielder last night, didn't manage to capture any meteors but I'm hopeful for tonight as long as the clouds stay away.

post-22085-0-66938000-1418467249_thumb.j

i posted my number on here to see who was going I went to the little carpark posted sailing club as you come from turning right from the a628  good carpark also big bench to put equipment on :)

also think we need an alternative site if the site is snowed in if anyone knows one ??

i posted my number on here to see who was going I went to the little carpark posted sailing club as you come from turning right from the a628  good carpark also big bench to put equipment on :)

also think we need an alternative site if the site is snowed in if anyone knows one ??

that's the one we refer to as the sailing club car park,  to get to the reservoir one from there, you go back out turn left onto road,  then follow the Yorkshire water signs, they lead you to it, its a few minutes drive

If u read earlier posts about car parks and times it was all if and buts. Every one was told from 7:30 on. No body actually changed any times or venues !!!!!

I agree Mark that the info need's to be clearer so we will discuss at next meeting the way forward so at least we all get the same place at the same time. I was on a 12hour night shift so couldn't monitor the posts on here.

Onto this evening.

I'm not sure yet what time I'm finishing work maybe around 7 but the skies have looked o.k. with what I've seen of them.

At present I'm scopeless so it will literally be a trip up to refresh my knowledge of the constellations and look for geminids probably a couple of hours (I do tend to stay longer)

I will post around 7 if things are looking good and aim for 9pm in the sailing club car park with the picnic table.

ddtwelve12 could you post a name as I've not picked one up on the posts?

Damian

Archived