NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was a bit ........ 'grey'.........

never mind.

also soupy - that caldwell galaxy i was talking about in andromeda, it wasnt c11, its c23 (ngc891) - edge on galaxy very simillar to sombrero galaxy, just slightly larger and much better placed in the sky!

Yes Nick think that is the one we picked out on the chart 891. Will have to have a search for it next time we are out. Tuesday (5 day forecast) looks good for Parker road after the meeting.

had a little go at taking a widefield of Gemini with jupiter looking so good within it - but damn the moon sucks!

here it is, as good as i can get it using the levels in DSS. although its full of glare from the moon, you can make out a few NGCs and Messiers, which i'm kinda pleased about. 20 x 10sec exposures at 35mm, F3.6 at 800iso and 10 darks

http://get.jpg

Well seeing was not too bad up at winscarr tonight, except it was blowing a gale so scopes were wobbling all over the place and imaging wasn't great! Stopped till almost 1.30, with James as good company. Had to use the bottom car park near the res as the top car park has some more building works going on again and they had the some big lights on.

dont forget we have the society meeting next tuesday, the gcse astronomy students should have something good to show us and a few other bits to dicuss too, such as organissing a curry night to coincide with our guest speaker next month and also plan transport over to the bradford astro meets guest speaker in a weeks time.

Saw that haze last night, tonight looks good might go in the garden for an hour or so, but tomorrow looks very promising for a few hours after the meeting. :-) might be an idea to finish the meeting for approx. 8.30-9.00 then head straight down to Parker road.

Great meeting tonight. Big thanks to all our students for their presentations, a very nerve racking experience for them but one that went very well. Also a very good observing session at Parker road later, shame it was cut short by the very fast high cloud that sped in.

Thanks to all who came tonight hope it was educational ;-)

Had a play in the garden for a couple of hours tonight, scope and a modified xbox webcam I bought (I did the mod) took this:
using sharpcap, then registax, although have no idea what I was doing in that, got this result,
moon123_zpscf3946e7.jpg

Nice effort for first light Leigh... Registax is hard but best way to use it is to just play with the wavelets until it brings out the detail but not too much or it will look false...

Here is a quick snap of the moon I took at Parker road last night through the high hazy cloud... :-)post-22085-0-01458300-1394663937_thumb.j

Archived