Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

please tell me who sells distilled water...

estwing

Water ??? I'm still using I.P.A. to rinse my mirrors, works a treat and evaporates in seconds....available from Maplins and other good electrical suppliers. ( That's isopropyl alcohol for anyone who was wondering ).

Ian

Ahh. I thought you meant Greene King IPA and someone had finally found a good use for it. :smiley:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi I use http://www.thedistilledwatercompany.com/ always good service I buy in big tubes every couple of years and store in dark cool place. It takes about 500ml to do a 10" mirror so lasts a while (I also clean the screen on the lcd tv once a month with a damp optics cloth (unplugged and be be careful).

if you dry your mirror with a cold blow hair dryer straight away no marks or streaks. (this cannot be said when using hard tap water, I've tried)

thanks lee,got some on order.

The aquarium store I regularly drive past does RO water for 16p a litre, so I'll be using this when required. That's almost as cheap as tap water anyway! It's so pure that you actually need to add additives to it before even sensitive tropical fish can live in it. That's got to be more than good enough for my mirrors. :fish:

I don't quite understand why distilled water isn't readily available in the UK.  I thought steam irons required it.  Distilled water is easy to find in the US, but Jaffa cakes are very rare.  I'd rather have the Jaffa cakes.

Geoff

I don't quite understand why distilled water isn't readily available in the UK.  I thought steam irons required it.  Distilled water is easy to find in the US, but Jaffa cakes are very rare.  I'd rather have the Jaffa cakes.

Geoff

I did try to clean my mirror with Jaffa's once...not good!

Geoff

My guess is that it's been replaced by deionised (demineralised) water, which is easier and cheaper to produce commercially. You can find deionised water in garages, supermarkets and stores like Halfords.

As I said earlier, I use deionised for rinsing my mirror and have never had any problems with it. The residue left by tap water after evaporation is primarily down to dissolved minerals which are absent from deionised water.

Deionised water may have more organics than distilled water. But I doubt these cause any damage. They don't leave a visible residue and anyway volatile organics in the atmosphere will be quickly adsorbed onto a clean mirror surface.

Heres a link to an article from Sky and Telescope about cleaning a telescope mirror and which recommends using either distilled or deionised water. http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto/diy/3437191.html?page=3

I use Deionised water,and have no probs,always leaves the mirror,clean.

We can be too fussy,and too cautious,when it comes to these things,the surface of these mirrors usually have a protective coating,so as long as your not too rough,things will be fine.

Archived