NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Addictive Hobby

Naemeth

Astronomy really can be addictive, the kit especially. I keep eying 4" fracs even though I can't see that there would be any room in my current set-up. It doesn't help that I'm also eying more eyepieces and going into AP...

Anyone else feel the same?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not massively into gear, though I have my moments. I take my time as I like to know that I am buying what I need rather than what I like, or think I ought to have. I hate having anything that I don't use or hardly use. There are a few things I'd like but hey, maybe, maybe not. The best thing I have done is to get myself in good order for getting out of the town, its darkness where my addiction is and no amount of gear can ever be a substitute for that.

always Jonathan but fracs, sir? me, sir? oh, no sir!

They have a certain appeal - can't help it. My fracs will never compete with the 10" dob though. Mind you, it's not really fair comparing 80mm to 254mm aperture, now is it? :D

I dont see astronomy as addictive,as i dont have an addictive personality. Yes it is expensive, but its part of who i am and who i have always been and always will be. Its just been part of who i am since i was about 8 yrs old.

I dont class it as a hobby. Its just a natural part of my life and who and what i am.

Started this hobby around 9 months ago. Im on my 4th scope so far! I dont think i have went a full 2 weeks without buying some kind of item for astronomy.

But as long as everything keeps getting better and better I'm happy to keep spending :)

Love it! 

Started this hobby around 9 months ago. Im on my 4th scope so far! I dont think i have went a full 2 weeks without buying some kind of item for astronomy.

But as long as everything keeps getting better and better I'm happy to keep spending :)

Love it! 

4th scope in 9 months........................that a serious case of aperture fever.

There is, my back, I aint carrying that thing around my garden :D

You don't point it at what you're looking at, what you're looking at comes to you :D.

You are right though, physical strength is helpful in limiting scope apertures, otherwise, who knows, we'd all have even larger holes in our wallets and most of us would have even larger dobs :evil: ...

Astronomy really can be addictive, the kit especially. I keep eying 4" fracs even though I can't see that there would be any room in my current set-up. It doesn't help that I'm also eying more eyepieces and going into AP...

I must admit I do like spending on astro gear and it is indeed very addictive :smiley:

Don't think it is any more addictive than another hobby is for some. Time on golf course, travelling to follow your football team/ rugby team, Photography kit, time out taking pictures, time out bird watching. As with all of these there are degrees of investment in kit, you can spend small to get into it and invest heavily if you want.

I started with a 150mm skywacher on eq3. A bit of kit that served its purpose to see if i wanted to get into astronomy after having an interest back in childhood. Sold it after 8 months and got a 105Etx Meade & 12" Meade lightbridge dob. Another couple of eyepieces, telrad, collimating laser and that is me done I think.

£1500 and a setup that will last me a lifetime. So £300 to test the water and follow up on what I need to take me where I really wanted to be.

AP probably not for me. 12" allows me to see a huge amount and in great detail, 105etx is great for a lazy evening and travel. 

Am i out every clear night, no. They skies are n't going anywhere fast so over a lifetime I will bag plenty of nights out and have the kit that will do it.

Don't think it is any more addictive than another hobby is for some. Time on golf course, travelling to follow your football team/ rugby team, Photography kit, time out taking pictures, time out bird watching. As with all of these there are degrees of investment in kit, you can spend small to get into it and invest heavily if you want.

I started with a 150mm skywacher on eq3. A bit of kit that served its purpose to see if i wanted to get into astronomy after having an interest back in childhood. Sold it after 8 months and got a 105Etx Meade & 12" Meade lightbridge dob. Another couple of eyepieces, telrad, collimating laser and that is me done I think.

£1500 and a setup that will last me a lifetime. So £300 to test the water and follow up on what I need to take me where I really wanted to be.

AP probably not for me. 12" allows me to see a huge amount and in great detail, 105etx is great for a lazy evening and travel. 

Am i out every clear night, no. They skies are n't going anywhere fast so over a lifetime I will bag plenty of nights out and have the kit that will do it.

It's good you've found a lifetime investment, and I suppose you're right that it's not anymore addictive than any other hobby.

In fact its been over a month since I bought something :shocked: and I am not feeling to well

It's been a month since you bought the 31T5? Already?

How much of this is an aditction to the hobby and how much is an addiction to collection?

I think your addicted to the hobby if your regularly looking out the windows to see if theres a cloud free night or if you walk home and are constantly looking up for example.

I'm not sure constantly spending money on new kit is an addiction to astronomy or an addiction to spending?

How much of this is an aditction to the hobby and how much is an addiction to collection?

I think your addicted to the hobby if your regularly looking out the windows to see if theres a cloud free night or if you walk home and are constantly looking up for example.

I'm not sure constantly spending money on new kit is an addiction to astronomy or an addiction to spending?

Good point :). It's a bit of both ;).

In fact its been over a month since I bought something :shocked: and I am not feeling to well

I've been quite good, ever since August, perhaps even end of July, I don't recall exactly after buying the several BSTs, collimators and what not, I was going to buy a BST 5mm, then a UHC, but didn't get either in the end. The end result now I got quite a bit more in the pot, all that means is I'll just end up buying one much bigger item :0)

I've been quite good, ever since August, perhaps even end of July, I don't recall exactly after buying the several BSTs, collimators and what not, I was going to buy a BST 5mm, then a UHC, but didn't get either in the end. The end result now I got quite a bit more in the pot, all that means is I'll just end up buying one much bigger item :0)

I'm getting a bit better at not spending a lot.. well, now I've got most of the kit I want, so it should only be bits left (and a HEQ-5!)

Hi,

Without a doubt fracs are my addiction, but hey! there is a way out.   After some 30 years of ( some very good and some dire refractors) I have bought a 8" GSO RC.

Now I have only to put it on a mount, but that will come in the next 30 years. Hopefully.

mijijim.

Its called OCD   :)

Archived