celestron astromaster 130eq

DavidJBOATH

Hi David,

you'll find a number of us started with this 'scope, and still use it. Even in light polluted skies ( which I guess you'll have in Dundee - but probably not as bad as Reading :grin: :grin: ) it can show you quite a bit, but you will need to learn what it is you are looking at. What ever you do don't expect Hubble type views of anything, even the largest 'scopes available to the amateur won't give you this.

You are best to start by trying to learn the sky a little. I suggest you invest in a copy of Turn Left at Orion and also the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. Turn Left at Orion will show you what you should expect to be able to see in a small 'scope and how to find it. The Pocket Sky Atlas will give you a good idea of the layout of the constellations and other objects that you may be able to find. It just depends upon the sky conditions where you are.

If you've just bought the 'scope, just get used to looking for simple things at the moment - like M13, the great globular cluster in Hercules ( which may seem quite small and faint with the standard eyepieces ) and the double cluster ( between Perseus and Cassiopeia ). Scanning the Milky Way is always fun as well.

Later in the year both Orion and Jupiter will become visible in the evening sky and your first views of both Jupiter and the Orion Nebula are always remembered no matter what size 'scope you have.

If at all possible try and find a dark sky site to use your 'scope from. We've used the same 'scope in both Snowdonia and the NW Highlands and the views have be quite gob-smacking!!! Above all, have fun with it and hopefully you will find lots of good advice from others on this forum,

hope this helps,

Alan

Many people on here like said above have that scope and have had some great views with it, +1 for Turn Left at Orion, Pocket Sky Atlas and Stellarium. They will all help you enjoy your scope, then think about expanding and upgrading your eyepiece collection once you have got to know night sky and you are familiar with your scope, that's what i did. A warm welcome to SGL

Hello and welcome from me too - I started with an Astromaster too and it can give some cracking images :smiley: I upgraded the eps to some BST explorer (now called starguider) eps, and fitted a different RDF to make it easier to find things :grin: . Great views of the Moon, planets etc. Enjoy it!

Archived