Shed-stored telescopes and moisture handling.

Ok, I'll jump right into it.

I have this weekend constructed a makeshift observatory on top of a large sand quarry. Now, there is no floor inside the observatory, and it is simply a frame made out of 2x4, 2x3 and 2x2, walls and roof fitted with plywood, painted in oil-based outdoor paint and roofed with asphalt schingle mats.

I have made this observatory so that I will not have to carry my 40+ kg equipment up and down every time I want to use it. I plan on keeping my scope(s) near or mounted to their NEQ6 Pro mount inside the observatory all year round.

Now, to the moisture related question. My initial idea was to wrap a tarp or pull a large waste-disposal plastic bag over the scope(s) and mount when I've finished up for the evening. I am told this is a bad idea because of moisture condensating on the inside of the plastic.

I was wondering, those of you who keep your scopes outside in sheds, garrages etc., how do you deal with the moisture?

Pics of observatory below, along with a timelapse movie of its construction.

Observatorium01.jpg

Observatorium02.jpg

[iurl][/iurl]

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

i dont cover mine with anything just roll roof back on and lock it up not had a problem yet in 7 months

mark

Thank you very much for your input.

May I ask, is the shed isolated? does it have concrete floor, wood, or just the local soil?

Which part of the world do you live in? I live in Norway and teperatures vary from 10 - 30 degrees celcius at summer, to 0 - (-25) degrees celcius in winter.

In spring and autumn the morning and evening air can be quite moist.

Anyone else got any experience?

You can get covers that have ventilation flaps built in. Not sure what scope you have so no idea if this one would fit (it's the first one on the page).

Ahh, excellent Sir!

So there are products specifically designed for this very purpose. I was not aware of that. :)

I will have to look around for a type that suits my setup.

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Thank you very much for your input.

May I ask, is the shed isolated? does it have concrete floor, wood, or just the local soil?

Which part of the world do you live in? I live in Norway and teperatures vary from 10 - 30 degrees celcius at summer, to 0 - (-25) degrees celcius in winter.

In spring and autumn the morning and evening air can be quite moist.

Anyone else got any experience?

hi its not insulated sits on a concrete base and i live in south uk it doesn't get that cold here thank god :)

As a "temporary" arrangement I'm using a small polytunnel. I've got a double cover on it and so far seems to keep quite dry. I leave the front open as much as possible, we very rarely get weather coming from that direction (due west).

The scope is set up on a trolley which I can easily move in and out. I haven't had a chance to try it out on a good session, but looks ok so far.

post-23638-137750191457_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

I kept an 8" Newt in a seemingly dry shed for a year or two and didn't use it. The morning dew cycle (which happens even in the shed because the mass of the mirror causes its temperature to lag substantially behind that of the air) destroyed the coating. You may never see this dew as it's gone by mid/early morning. Options to avoid this include a small heater placed beneath the mirror (e.g. car side mirror heater) which you could rive with a solar panel, timer, and a solar panel. Alternatively, sealing the tube should stop the dew from forming. Probably using the telescope more often the I did will help too ;)

I store my C8 in a slightly heated garage, in a flight case. It is reasonably dry, but I chuck (almost) every sachet of silicagel I get into the case to keep moisture out. If your tube is sealed, you can insert caps containing silicagel into the focuser, and tape some to the lens cap on the front. That should help.

Ok, I'll jump right into it.

I have this weekend constructed a makeshift observatory on top of a large sand quarry. Now, there is no floor inside the observatory, and it is simply a frame made out of 2x4, 2x3 and 2x2, walls and roof fitted with plywood, painted in oil-based outdoor paint and roofed with asphalt schingle mats.

I have made this observatory so that I will not have to carry my 40+ kg equipment up and down every time I want to use it. I plan on keeping my scope(s) near or mounted to their NEQ6 Pro mount inside the observatory all year round.

Now, to the moisture related question. My initial idea was to wrap a tarp or pull a large waste-disposal plastic bag over the scope(s) and mount when I've finished up for the evening. I am told this is a bad idea because of moisture condensating on the inside of the plastic.

I was wondering, those of you who keep your scopes outside in sheds, garrages etc., how do you deal with the moisture?

Pics of observatory below, along with a timelapse movie of its construction.

Observatorium01.jpg

Observatorium02.jpg

[iurl][/iurl]

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

How does this sand and your optics get along?A couple of my darker sites has this fine sand & I find it gets everywhere....as a matter of fact I'm looking at it on my objective right now! :sad: The shed will help for sure,but keeping moisture and this sand & organic matter off your telescope would be a priority to me.Your view looks like it could be taken from over here!Are those Spruce & Pine trees in the pic?When the tree pollen is floating around,it sure sticks.....and makes the sand stick....I can't wait for winter when these problems disappear.For now I wait for about 10-15 min after driving up in my 4x4 for the sand to settle out of the air-& hope nobody drives by......

Off topic I know but may I say what a great location that looks. I'm intrigued ..... Is it your quarry or do you know the owner?

Neither... but I called the owner and asked if it was ok for me to put up an observatory. I got the green light, obviously... ;)

How does this sand and your optics get along?A couple of my darker sites has this fine sand & I find it gets everywhere....as a matter of fact I'm looking at it on my objective right now! :sad: The shed will help for sure,but keeping moisture and this sand & organic matter off your telescope would be a priority to me.Your view looks like it could be taken from over here!Are those Spruce & Pine trees in the pic?When the tree pollen is floating around,it sure sticks.....and makes the sand stick....I can't wait for winter when these problems disappear.For now I wait for about 10-15 min after driving up in my 4x4 for the sand to settle out of the air-& hope nobody drives by......

I havent actually installed the scope in the observatory yet, so I dont know about any sand related issues. I still need to fix a couple of things. I will install this upcoming friday. I doubt the sand will be a problem, as I dont kick it around. The ground is fairly solid as well, especially during winter. I couldnt kick up sand even if I wanted to during winter...

Those are spruce and pine trees indeed. Theres pollen all over Norway during that season, so it makes no little difference. I doubt it will be a problem though. I will buy one of those telescope covers and keep it covered at all times when not in use, even though it is inside.

Neither... but I called the owner and asked if it was ok for me to put up an observatory. I got the green light, obviously... ;)

This is a great idea Alve....I have permission for a gated gravel pit myself here.Most pits here a public property with the contractors paying the Gov't a user fee and they are open,but with hunting season coming "bush" road traffic will increase dramatically,so I'll go to the gated one.As far as the sand,I've found that even walking carefully puts a bunch in the air....I checked with a flashlight & was amazed at what was floating.I would put a mat in front of your door to minimize tracking it in.Just a heads up thats all.That tree pollen is an issue for me anyway,if left on my truck it will etch the paint....and I have an objective on a sporting optic that is etched-forgot to clean it last fall-it is still very useable though.The worst is pollen and fine sand mixed together.....To each there own for cleaning....! :smiley: Great obsy,your gonna like it,my best views come from the same kind of place

Steve Richards - Make Every Photon Count - uses a dehumidifier in his observatory. I have the same observatory but live in a much wetter part of the country and there is little chance that anything would stop moisture forming, so I just live and hope. Ok so far but have to make sure that I don't leave any paper or cardboard inside, even during the summer months, as they get soggy.

... but have to make sure that I don't leave any paper or cardboard inside, even during the summer months, as they get soggy.

This gave me an idea. I will leave a piece of paper there tonight and see how it looks in the morning. :)

thank you very much.

Cool video! I keep my 8" dob in our garage with a pizza oven cover over the top of it. I have had it in there for well over a year and had no problems. There's good ventilation in the garage so maybe that helps. Very envious of your location, looks great.

I don't cover my scope in the OBSY, the scope parks in the horizontal positon. The OBSY is a shed that I have insulated and lined, the floor and walls have a damp proof membrane.

The floor is raised off the ground on concrete slabs. The roof is covered with felt but is un-insulated.

I haven't had any problems with damp at all. I have been told that the wood controls the moisture inside the shed.

Oh almost forgot, I have 0.5Kg bags of Silica crystals, 1 I put in the end of the OTA and the other 5 sit in the corner of the OBSY.

I'm a biker......

Some people who ride fancy American chromed motorbikes (not me!) have lots of kit designed to keep there bikes very dry in winter storage. This kit is available off the shelf, is relatively cheep and will be of a size suited to larger telescopes.

For example, a large plastic bag you put the motorbike in and suck air out with a vacuum cleaner. A large sack of silica gel is also included inside the bag to keep things dry. (The gel you can later dry out in your oven so you can re-use it.) Google "Vac Bag Dry Storage System".

Also, any ordinary high quality motorbike cover will have flaps designed to let excess moisture out and are made of a material to let moisture flow one way. Google "Hein gericke motorbike cover" for ideas and sizes. You might find something suited to your 'scope.

As an aside, it might be worth checking with your telescope manufacturer if your 'scope will tolerate such low temperatures.

Having spent a little time in Norway (see my avatar) I'm very jealous of your clear sky’s, hytter and open spaces!

I've found that the easiest way to avoid insidious dew/ humidity on mirrors is to place a small reptile (5w) heating pad I close proximity under the mirror.

This has a small drain on the electrics and provides sufficient warmth to balance temperature change.

Particularly useful when the shed warms up quicker than the mirrors,

Nick.

Hi Biker - the Vac Bag system seems a bit excessive, but the "Hein gericke motorbike cover" looks as if it could work with silica gel. Looking at the options there the 'Hein Gericke snug dust cover "Dormex", Size L/XL' looks to be made of the material you were referring to. Am I right?

the Vac Bag system seems a bit excessive, but the "Hein gericke motorbike cover" looks as if it could work with silica gel.

I'm afraid I can't give firm recommendations as I do not use these covers myself.

My post was simply made in the hope that it may be useful, as I know that expensive "show" motorbikes can suffer the same problems with condensation forming (and subsequent corrosion) as a telescope when in storage.

I'd suggest calling in at a larger 'bike shop (there are lots of them around, unlike telescope retailers) and having a look at what is available. The "Dormex" cover you refer to claims to be 'breathable' and let moisture out, but it doesn’t say if it will resist letting moisture in!

Archived