Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen LVW vs Pentax XW vs Delos

GavStar

4 hours ago, GavStar said:

As the OP, this thread prompted me to have a go with my 22mm vixen lvw this evening. It's very nice but in my opinion the ES 92 17mm is better in all aspects (apart from size and weight ?). The ES has slightly more fov, more comfortable for me and better corrected to the edge in my f6.3 frac, with whiter presentation. A great eyepiece that wasn't available when I originally posted.

92 vs 65 isn't subtle at all for me.  Even going from 92 down to 76 for the Morpheus suddenly feels constrictive.  I've jumped down from 92 to 72/70 (Delos/XW), 92 to 65 (XL), and 92 to 50 (LV) for kicks, and with each increase in AFOV difference, the feeling of constrictiveness becomes stronger as if the world is shrinking to a singularity.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Louis D said:

92 vs 65 isn't subtle at all for me.  Even going from 92 down to 76 for the Morpheus suddenly feels constrictive.  I've jumped down from 92 to 72/70 (Delos/XW), 92 to 65 (XL), and 92 to 50 (LV) for kicks, and with each increase in AFOV difference, the feeling of constrictiveness becomes stronger as if the world is shrinking to a singularity.

Louis I meant that the actual bit of sky seen was slightly bigger as shown by the diagram below. Obviously the magnification was higher with the ES so this may well have impacted on my impression. I agree the ES feels much less constructive than the lvw (but lvw stills feel pretty good to me...)

IMG_0271.PNG

5 hours ago, GavStar said:

Louis I meant that the actual bit of sky seen was slightly bigger as shown by the diagram below. Obviously the magnification was higher with the ES so this may well have impacted on my impression. I agree the ES feels much less constructive than the lvw (but lvw stills feel pretty good to me...)

IMG_0271.PNG

For that view the 22mm LVW TFOV is as narrow as I would want to go, but higher mags are better for detail spotting. 

How does the 17 LER do for not having kidney beaning & other black outs?

8 hours ago, GavStar said:

I thought you were comparing the 17mm LVW to the 17mm ES-92, thus my confusion.  Upon rereading, I see you were referring to the 22mm LVW.  My apologies.

My inclination is leaning toward the Orion. It's 20mm is a 2 inch ep, while the LVW was 1.25. The extra 12 deg AFOV might be for that reason. 

More intriguing is the Orion being Lanthanum as Vixens are. 

Not heard of it being used by any other optical company but Vixen. 

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

For that view the 22mm LVW TFOV is as narrow as I would want to go, but higher mags are better for detail spotting. 

How does the 17 LER do for not having kidney beaning & other black outs?

For me the 17mm ES is very easy and comfortable to use - never had any issues with blackouts/kidney beaning. I was using the Pentax xw 5mm and the 17mm Es in tandem last night and they had a very similar feel in viewing comfort/eye relief.

I don't wear glasses when observing though. I also used my ethos 6mm but found the Pentax easier to use.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

It's my understanding that the TV Radian line used rare earth glass and that led to it being priced relatively high for a 60 degree eyepiece.  I wouldn't doubt that the Nagler T4s do as well since they were introduced about the same time and at very high prices.  It was the Radian's pricing structure that led to its demise.  TV came up with the Delos and DeLite lines to replace them at a lower manufacturing cost to improve margins.

I've often wondered if rare earth glass accounts for the LV line viewing "darker" than its contemporaries.  They seem to see just as faint objects, but present them and brighter objects as dimmer.

44 minutes ago, Louis D said:

It's my understanding that the TV Radian line used rare earth glass and that led to it being priced relatively high for a 60 degree eyepiece.  I wouldn't doubt that the Nagler T4s do as well since they were introduced about the same time and at very high prices.  It was the Radian's pricing structure that led to its demise.  TV came up with the Delos and DeLite lines to replace them at a lower manufacturing cost to improve margins.

I've often wondered if rare earth glass accounts for the LV line viewing "darker" than its contemporaries.  They seem to see just as faint objects, but present them and brighter objects as dimmer.

On CN I read somewhere the LV line is more neutral in colour, less warm than some TV, probably Delos. 

Having both a LV & Radian 10mm eps, I will compare (also the XW). That's if my eyes are sensitive enough. 

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

On CN I read somewhere the LV line is more neutral in colour, less warm than some TV, probably Delos. 

Having both a LV & Radian 10mm eps, I will compare (also the XW). That's if my eyes are sensitive enough. 

It's not so much a hue change as a lightness change.  Others on CN have noted it as well, though I haven't been able to find the relevant threads.  It was seemingly corrected with either the NLV or SLV lines, as were the 45 degree fields below 9mm being increased to 50 degrees.  I believe that was an SLV-only improvement.

4 hours ago, 25585 said:

My inclination is leaning toward the Orion. It's 20mm is a 2 inch ep, while the LVW was 1.25. The extra 12 deg AFOV might be for that reason. 

More intriguing is the Orion being Lanthanum as Vixens are. 

TV, Pentax, Zeiss, probably all the top spotting scope eyepieces, and you can bet that the "rare earth" in the Baader Morpheus is lanthanum. The new Orions are made by Long Perng so any brand buying eyepieces from them must be able to use it. If Long Perng have it then you can probably assume JOC and Barsta can or are using it for their premium eyepieces too. 

9 hours ago, John said:

It's probably just me, but when I see the word "Pro" used in the name of a piece of astro equipment I feel just a little uneasy :undecided:

Skywatcher use the word & their ED + Esprit refractors have good reputations. 

25 minutes ago, John said:

Thats true - I have the ED120 "Pro" and I can't complain about that one !

ED120 is in my consideration list along with the ES 130 & Esprit 120. "Pro" = serious money, serious quality hopefully. 

I would be worried if TV started using the term though!

15 hours ago, John said:

It's probably just me, but when I see the word "Pro" used in the name of a piece of astro equipment I feel just a little uneasy :undecided:

5 hours ago, 25585 said:

Skywatcher use the word & their ED + Esprit refractors have good reputations. 

59 minutes ago, John said:

Thats true - I have the ED120 "Pro" and I can't complain about that one !

29 minutes ago, 25585 said:

ED120 is in my consideration list along with the ES 130 & Esprit 120. "Pro" = serious money, serious quality hopefully. 

I would be worried if TV started using the term though!

"Pro" I can live with. It's if ever they start putting  " Turbo " on astro kit , then that would really concern me ? ?

8 hours ago, Timebandit said:

"Pro" I can live with. It's if ever they start putting  " Turbo " on astro kit , then that would really concern me ? ?

Professional appellations on photo gear can lead to issues where only amateur gear is allowed (like on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. without a professional photography permit).  "But officer, I'm just an amateur photographer", "Then why does your tripod say professional?"

On 16/11/2017 at 10:22, YKSE said:

3. Concept of ultra wide eyepiece is not totally new, there's this 120° Koehler in 1960!

http://www.quadibloc.com/science/opt04.htm

If the 11 element Koehler was produced to the standards that, say, Tele Vue currently use for the 21mm Ethos, I reckon it would cost £thousands to buy.

Archived