Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

No more camping for me!

Mav359

I went to SGL8 @ lucksall this year and it was brilliant, already signed up for Six Penny and am waiting for the SGL9 details so i can get that booked, however......

2 things became apparent to me whilst i was there

1) My BMW 325 compact wasn't designed with camping in mind (bit of a squeeze)

& More importantly

2) I HATE CAMPING!!!!

So i have decided to (next week some time) purchase a Motorhome. Put the scope in, take the scope out, put the scope back.... easy, warm bed, big TV etc etc....oh and a proper beer fridge :grin:

For those of you who have a motorhome were there any mods you did to make your scope life even easier for yourselves?

Cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol it wasnt the cold clear night that was the problem it was the 3ft thick mud and the 5 hours clearing mud of everything so could put it back in the car. By the time i got in the car to leave i was knackered.

I don't own but did look at getting one, stiil half debating it.

My advice would be not to follow the style of a house, many I saw put 4 burner gas stoves in and a sizeable sink, just get a 2 burner, simply it uses less space.

I would make sure that the leisure battery is a fair size and go for an electric 12volt kettle and you can get a 12volt slow cooker - thought being you can easily empty a can of good soup stew or similar in and just like it slowly heat up. You are out observing food is heating through.

Pack just enough plates and cuttlery etc, you do not need an 8 piece dinner set. Alternatively paper/plastic disposables.

Good solid trolly jack with solid plywood sheet to put it on if in case you are on soft ground (grass)..

Agreed,I would love a VW camper one day!! I am as green with envy as your camper is :-).

Actually, with a small move forward of the camper, or some deft Photoshopping, you could make it appear to have a rather spectacular dome on the top!! :-)

Stu

part of owning a classic Alan! I used to own 60's beetles and loved them but I had to ditch one hobby (I restored a couple too) and lying on my back covered in oil and being burned by welding blobs was the least attractive!

I don't own but did look at getting one, stiil half debating it.

My advice would be not to follow the style of a house, many I saw put 4 burner gas stoves in and a sizeable sink, just get a 2 burner, simply it uses less space.

I would make sure that the leisure battery is a fair size and go for an electric 12volt kettle and you can get a 12volt slow cooker - thought being you can easily empty a can of good soup stew or similar in and just like it slowly heat up. You are out observing food is heating through.

Pack just enough plates and cuttlery etc, you do not need an 8 piece dinner set. Alternatively paper/plastic disposables.

Good solid trolly jack with solid plywood sheet to put it on if in case you are on soft ground (grass)..

This will be a older second hand Motorhome but its the bigger 4 berth walk around types. If i'm not using it then ive already said tp my old man that he can borrow it. i'm looking at the 88-96 sort of range for my budget & unfortunatley it has to be petrol as in this age bracket a diesel would not be LEZ compliant. I have to say though many of the ones i'm planning to look at are in very good condition for there age with only 80-90k on the clock.

i'll almost certainly be replacing/adding a new lesuire battery & i'll be pulling out any old carpet, replacing the usual floral designed apholstry and some black out curtains and otherwise a general face lift and refresh. I'm also planning to install a 'Red Light' set of lights for at night to protect the night vision. Ive also a very good pal who's a very good mechanic and has already offered to strip the engine down clean and fix anything that may need it for beer & parts.

SGL 8 was extreme, normally camping in a big comfy tent is a pleasure. Enabling plenty sleep and visitors after clear skies.

I note with alarm that as yet we've not been invited back !

Nick.

LOL i didn't think we were that bad!!!

I was one of the last to leave the rally field and i have to say a combination of the rain/snow, resulting mud & the cars going up & down left it in a bit of a sorry state!!!

I reckon you want a van like they have to fix a cherry-picker on the back, so you get the hydraulic stabilising legs. Then you mount the scope on a pier in the middle of the van, add a sliding roof and you have a totally mobile observatory. Pull up somewhere, stick down the legs, open up the roof, off you go :)

James

I reckon you want a van like they have to fix a cherry-picker on the back, so you get the hydraulic stabilising legs. Then you mount the scope on a pier in the middle of the van, add a sliding roof and you have a totally mobile observatory. Pull up somewhere, stick down the legs, open up the roof, off you go :)

James

Not such a crazy idea...

https://www.google.c...006.htm;993;660

http://pacastronomy....mo/pacmo_00.htm

Archived