Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse

Matt Scunthorpe

The next total solar eclispse occurs on the 20th March 2015. According to our friend Wikipedia, is is total to the Faroe Islands, Svalbard, the North Atlantic and the North Pole.

Anyone going to make any plans for this? It is always something i have wanted to see, so i think im going to book time off work and travel to probably the Faroe Islands, and pray that its not going to be cloudy.

Matt.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be wise to check the weather conditions first for the path of totality. There's little point going to a great deal of trouble (and expense) if there is little chance of seeing the event - unless you are feeling lucky (as Clint Eastward says) or you can afford to keep going on trips until you have clear weather for one of them. Good luck!

I have looked at various holiday firms selling trips to the 2015 Total Eclipse and they are very, very expensive. I have seen a total eclipse in Turkey 2006 and 2 Annular eclipses (Spain 2005) and California (2012) - very enjoyable.

I was thinking of going North to Scotland in March 2015 just to witness the partial phase which is 97/98% which I know is not total but it should still be quite interesting.

The best opportunity for clear skies is the United States in August 2017 which hopefully I will attend.

Mark

1375826366' post='2008250']

I imagine it will be standing room only on the Faroe Islands. And I bet it will cost a packet to get there.

James

.....and the weather will be terrible! I think the North Atlantic isn't a good bet, really.

I have looked at various holiday firms selling trips to the 2015 Total Eclipse and they are very, very expensive. I have seen a total eclipse in Turkey 2006 and 2 Annular eclipses (Spain 2005) and California (2012) - very enjoyable.

I was thinking of going North to Scotland in March 2015 just to witness the partial phase which is 97/98% which I know is not total but it should still be quite interesting.

The best opportunity for clear skies is the United States in August 2017 which hopefully I will attend.

Mark

I like the Scotland idea, I will probably do that, hell of a drive, but if you get to see it, it will be well worth it.

I like the Scotland idea, I will probably do that, hell of a drive, but if you get to see it, it will be well worth it.

I guess with uk weather you'd have about 15-25% chance of seeing it in Scotland so I would think about that also. you could be forking out a few hundred quid to see clouds :(

But thats the old catch 22 isnt it? If you want to see something that you can't see from home, youve got to travel. But if you do, and you still dont see it, you may as well not have gone. At least you can get the weather forecast a few days before and make a decision based on that.

I guess the trick is to plan another activity along with your travel for the event. At least then the journey is not wasted entirely if the weather does not play ball. I have never seen a total eclipse and recently looked at the possibility of travelling for this one but the cost was just too high especially when you factor in the probability of getting good weather.

I will probably book the time off work and plan a trip up north, determining where I stay using the forecast a couple of days in advance.

Having experienced a total eclipse (admittedly only one) I have to say that even a 99% eclipse is NOTHING like the experience of totality. So, if you're planning on an expensive trip, it's worth trying to go for an area within totality.

But thats the old catch 22 isnt it? If you want to see something that you can't see from home, youve got to travel. But if you do, and you still dont see it, you may as well not have gone. At least you can get the weather forecast a few days before and make a decision based on that.

I understand and agree Matt, I'm just saying the uk is probably not the safest bet to see.....well anything really. Of coarse you can always make "other" plans for whilst your there so the trip is not a total loss. As for weather forecasts.... well, I wouldn't trust a three hr one let alone a three day one :).

Having experienced a total eclipse (admittedly only one) I have to say that even a 99% eclipse is NOTHING like the experience of totality. So, if you're planning on an expensive trip, it's worth trying to go for an area within totality.

yes I agree, remember seeing one as a boy in Sydney. that 1% makes a big difference.

Edit... my biggest regret of late is that after spending 4.5 mth in sydney last yr, I came back to the uk 5 days before the total eclipse in north qld :(

I'm inclined to agree. I think it would be sensible to book a holiday that happened to be in or near an area of totality and take advantage of it if the weather was suitable.

James

Is Iceland no good?

I know I could convince the wife for a holiday there.

That's what we did for the Venus transit, booked a holiday to Crete and the transit from Santorini.

Missed half of it due to the only weather seen the entire trip. :p

Hi,

Hmm, just checked out the prices for a trip,

there is a 5 day trip for £2,749, including flights, accommodation on Svalbard,

there is a 5 day trip for £2,500+, including flights, accommodation on Faroe Islands,

there is an 11 day cruise from Southampton starting from £1699 and going up to more than double depending on what cabin you want.

Thing is I went to France for the 1999 total eclipse, we had about 10 days in fantastic sunshine until the morning of the eclipse when the cloud rolled in. We saw it up until the 'diamond ring' and never saw the sun again all day. And yet others from the UK were only 40 miles away and saw the whole thing, that is the problem.

At my home location I am going to see the 2015 eclipse to about 90%, I think that will do and save around £2k. In fact I might even offer a holiday, one day to see 90% of the total eclipse for 90% less than the cost of a 5 day trip, Hmm around £200 per head, looks a bargain to me.

Robin

I went down to Cornwall in 1999 and of course the weather was a disaster.

Personally I wouldn't opt for the Faroe Islands as the chance of disappointment is again quite high.

I've never witnessed a full eclipse and USA in 2017 will be a good bet so I'm saving and planning for that.

Dave.

It's actually quite a poor eclipse for viewing totality, isn't it? I reckon your best bet would be to spend the next two years doing all the necessary qualifications and then rent a boat :)

James

I travelled to Side, Turkey for the 2006 Total eclipse. I travelled the day before the eclipse and the BBC was predicting total cloud cover. On the day the sky was totally clear.

Last year I travelled to California to view the Annular eclipse and the Venus Transit. I was recommended a particular location for the eclipse and my son (he lives there) drove me from San Francisco. It was about 50 miles to the preferred location and on the way we stopped at a lovely rest area. I decided to view the eclipse from that location, which was great. Later I was told that the preferred location was clouded out. So you never know with the weather even in sunny California.

I do agree with Luke about the wonderful experience of a Total eclipse but I have to say I really enjoyed both Annular eclipses that I have seen and I think that a 97% eclipse will be a nice experience especially as I will take a PST and my 4" APO with the Herschel Wedge.

I thought about going to the Faroe Islands but £2000 is a lot of money especially with the weather propects. I know I can be clouded out in Scotland but at least I can enjoy the scenery as I was thinking of going to the Isle Of Skye to view it.

Mark

Or there is this, Hmm wonder if I can take my Lunt/White light rig?

http://nicmosis.as.a...HT2015_64N.html

Robin

Robin that is an interesting suggestion. I wonder whether the travel companies that organise 'Northern Lights' flights from various airports might consider this event?

http://adw.omega-hol...CFfLHtAod1DoAuA

PS - I have just sent a message to Omega Travel outlining the eclipse and asking whether they might consider a flight from various UK airports.

Archived