NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Total Solar Eclipse

Matt Scunthorpe

Hi,

I went to see the total eclipse in Turkey in March 2006.

We went to Side beside the Sky at Night, numerous news broadcasters, universities, Turkish police and army

were very friendly.

It was awesome!! The things I remember that were not experienced from the TV were, the major temperature

drop, the stars and planets appear at midday, the moon appears a lot smaller to the naked eye, the dogs

barking, the crescent shadows of the leaves on the trees, barcode silver lines and the frogs.

It lasted for 5 to 6 minutes. I would recommend anybody who can to go, it is an unusual experience.

I was left wondering how my ancestors would have felt with the day turning into night. It must have been

frightening experience to say the least.

The question is will it clash with SGL 10?

If not I might think of going to the north of Scotland. Could be very very cold to camp.

Cheers

Adrian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next total solar eclispse occurs on the 20th March 2015. According to our friend Wikipedia, is is total to the Faroe Islands, Svalbard, the North Atlantic and the North Pole.

Anyone going to make any plans for this? It is always something i have wanted to see, so i think im going to book time off work and travel to probably the Faroe Islands, and pray that its not going to be cloudy.

Matt.

The Faeroe Islands has pretty wild weather. It rains pretty much year round. I've always wanted to go out there, so I'm tempted by the idea of combining a trip with a Total Eclipse (I too was disappointed in 1999). Only problem is, all the birds won't have arrived at that point and hiking won't be much of an option so... maybe I'll wait for the next one...

DD

The August 2017 eclipse is definitely on my list of possible ventures. Its path crosses the entire USA, so access and weather shouldn't be a problem, unlike planning a trip to the arctic. Just pick a spot along the route!

eclipsemap.jpg

Archived