Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher skyliner 200p Dobsonian

Rob63

I bought my Skywatcher skyliner 200p Dobsonian from First Light Optics last Wednesday and it arrived in two large boxes on Thursday, talk about speedy service !

Assembly of the base was very easy (I have done a few flat pack items before) although there was a problem with the mounting for the finderscope as the bolt just wouldn’t tighten. I thought the bolt had sheared and contacted FLO who quickly sent out a replacement bolt + mounting shoe in case it wasn’t the bolt that was the problem.

As it turned out it was indeed the mounting shoe and I replaced it which was a simple but slightly fiddly job.

I checked collimation with my Cheshire and collimation cap and astro-baby's guide, things looked very good to my inexperienced eyes, secondary was round and centred, primary mirror clips were equidistant and all the same size and the crosshairs and mirror spot were bang on!

First chance to use the scope came on Friday night the sky was pretty clear although it’s never really that dark at 56deg N at this time of year. I centred on Arcturus and checked collimation on both sides of focus and got a nice set of even circles although there was quite a bit of atmospheric turbulence too.

Had a look at M13 which was nice and high then the M57 (ring nebula) and alberio, the 25mm EP was actually much better than expected and it worked well with the skywatcher 2x barlow. The 10mm was ok but I think I will be looking to replace that soon.

This was my first time out with a telescope in 20 odd years and I was rewarded with some really nice views, although I forgot to look for the dumbbell nebula – :sad:

I have to say that the “straight through” finderscope is a literal pain in the neck and I will be replacing it with a right angle one (as well as adding a telrad) ASAP.

Apart from that (and the bolt issue) I can’t fault this telescope, in terms of value for money I don’t think you could do better.

I also have to praise FLO for excellent service, fast delivery and a speedy resolutuion to a minor problem.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like you need no advice either! 8" dob, right angle finder and telrad - spot on set up. add an observing chair and a decent map (although it sounds like you know your way about) will have you completely at one with the sky.

That'll be a great set-up until we can lure you away to the dark side (imaging)..........hahaha Nah, only joking. 8" dob's gotta be one of the most (if not the most) popular 'scopes of all time. Simple to use and great views....what more could you ask for.....Just remember, the whole point of all this is to enjoy yourself. :)

Archived