Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear skies tonight!

Kropster

Just come in from a spot of observing.

Spectacularly clear sky in Oxfordshire.

In the end I put the scope away and just stood and looked up at the splendour of the Milkyway spread across the sky.

I think it is the clearest it has been since I got my scope way back last year!

Beautifully clear here, too. I had a moment of panic when I thought it was getting cloudy and then realised it was just the Milky Way coming into view :)

Saw an absolute corker of a meteor shoot straight along the plane of the Milky Way, and an Iridium flare too. Could be a late night :)

James

I had a moment of panic when I thought it was getting cloudy and then realised it was just the Milky Way coming into view :)

God I'm glad to hear you say that.

Even from my town centre sky, I got the same feeling of dread....

And no work tomorrow.. :)

Set up my kit in the back garden for the first time in months - and the first time ever in just a T-shirt & jeans. Clear blue skies seemed great. Then after 2 hours of faffing (new laptop wouldn't talk to robofocus, or charge on the new 12v adaptor - even though everything worked fine when tested indoors), the clouds inevitably rolled in. Not a single image taken! Bah! Plus some neighbour decided to show off their security lights and another neighbour decided to blast out a few disco tunes - at 12:30 am. Grrr!

Beautifully clear here, too. I had a moment of panic when I thought it was getting cloudy and then realised it was just the Milky Way coming into view :)

I thought I was dreaming. :smiley: For the first time in recorded history I was able make out the Milky Way as it stretched through Cygnus and onto Aquila - from the very centre of Reading!!! Just had an hour and a half of some of the best town centre observing I've ever known. Oh to have been out at a dark sky site.

Is it me or does the wind help to keep the skies a little clearer? Maybe it stops the mist from forming after a sultry evening such as we've just had.

Alan

Yep crystal clear here until just gone midnight then dew started and the it seemed to reflect the light more from surounding area,saw 2 bright meteorites with long tails one from sw to nw and the other from Perseus area,so clearest night of the year so far,very rare indeed.

Got to say it was a great night, had the SCT running for the inlaws over from NZ.

Had a great time touring the doubles and Vega was a beautiful cool blue.

Best viewing was the double cluster.

Im glad a lot of people managed t get out. I was out from around 2200 to about 00.15. Skies stayed beautifully clear too, no sign of the Milky Way though, and i can normally see it from the garden, maybe wasnt dark enough.

Found 5 new objects too, all manually using the EQ5 instead of relying on the HEQ5 goto, glad i havent lost my touch. Forecast for tonight isnt looking so good, but tomorrow night looks to be clear.

Archived