Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally - I've broken ground on the obsy

dmahon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice neat jpb and the tracks dont seem to have done too much harm to the lawn.

Backfilling it is the messy bit - I'll take another picture when we've finished (or more likely in the light tomorrow). It doesn't look quite as neat now (but not as bad as I thought).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the electrician was here yesterday and I now have electricity to both sheds down the garden. Not quite sure why it took all day, especially as I had done a lot of the first fix myself beforehand, but it meant that I didn't have to do the fiddly bits and it all works - which is the most important thing. And the other good thing is that my powerline adapter has a fantastic signal through the 10mm2 cable (it was very poor on the end of an extension lead) so I don't need to bother with network cable after all.

Still waiting on the dome.

Wouldn't like to say. I think the dome is ready, but waiting on the accessories. Once I get a phone call, we'll then have to arrange a day I'm off to install it. Then I'll have to get Duncan back to connect it up - hopefully in daylight rather than by torchlight :)

I am looking to start building my own observatory in a years time. This thread will be a fountain of knowledge for me when I start looking at the finer details- cheers!

When you go to construct the observatory, do you just drill into the concrete base to secure it or should the bolts already have been set in concrete before hand?

All the best, Andrew

I still have to get power permanently to it - hopefully on Monday.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few teething problems with the dome controller. I can't fathom exactly what the matter is, so I've emailed Pulsar for advice (they're probably still on the way home, I don't envy them the drive).

Well, good news and bad news.

Bad news: The homing of the dome doesn't work properly. There is a sensor which detects a little foil strip attached to the dome - when this sensor activates, the dome knows that it is at position X. There is an encoder wheel that works out how far it has moved from that point. When you turn it on, you tell the dome to find the home position, so it knows exactly where it is. For some reason the home position isn't setting itself.

Good news: the controller manufacturer thinks they have a bad batch of microprocessors which are temperature sensitive. They won't work in the cold. This explains why mine has been rather intermittent. I tried it with a hairdryer and it started working again,  so it needs to be replaced and I need to be patient a bit longer (hey, it's been in the making for a year or more so what difference does a few weeks make).

Other than that, the dome is really good and the unit, when working, seems excellent as well. Once it is all up an running I will write a proper review and put some videos online.

Archived