Giving it up :(

Its part of my life and part of who i am. If i didnt have it in my life for all these yrs,i'd still be me,but a different version of me.

i echo your sentiments exactly, 47 years old astronomer since way back in the days of Tasco. even if the equipment went the interest would remain.as long as i have a pair of eyes i will be an astronmer!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I gave things up for a good few years (Must be 20+) when the light pollution ad seeing became just too disheartening. Came back a few years ago...

It's this kind of sentiment that I am 'fighting' against everyday. I know it sounds a little cranky but I tell myself "I will not let the city get me down." It supplies me work and opportunities but I've decided now that the only way I will die in peace is to find a weekend shack somewhere dark in Spain and learn to drive!

The former I always figured I would end up in, but the latter, I never dreamt of in my life. So here I am in my ripening years saving a little each month for a shack and studying what is probably the hardest (not to say one of the most expensive) driving tests in Europe and more than likely the world.

Where there's a will there's a way...or something like that.

Qualia, good luck with the driving, it will open the heavens to you. The idea of a shack sounds good, some will say i already live in a shack with heavy light pollution :grin: :grin:

as i have already posted, i have gone through periods of frustration due to weather, but mainly work getting in the way, but this is behind me and i will not let it get in the way again, i would say its just a hobby, but as others have posted, its more than a hobby, more a quest for knowledge, a learning :cool: i may thin out some astro gear in the future but will always have a 4" f10 frac and AZ mount

Good luck Dharma. I've waxed and waned with this hobby but having (almost) retired at the beginning of this year I find I have a new lease of life. I can get up or stay up without worrying about how it might affect me work. So, hang on in there - you will come be able come back one day.

This is a great thread that shows the humanity of this forum. I read lots of the postings and am always struck by how sympathetic everyone is. If you look at other forums on other subjects ( no names, no pack drill) you will know that this not always the case.

Thank you loungers - keep it up

Kerry

Thank you Scarp and Nightfisher!

I never thought anyone took notice of my bus trips out :smiley: I have had a couple more adventures over the last 7 weeks. One time atop a mountain which was mind-blowing, another in the desert lands and came back home covered in nasty bites. If I get the chance I will write up about them.

As the others have written, it is so true that this astronomy business is "a quest", a calling, much more than just a 'hobby'. I tried to explain it to my brother when he came over and we were on the beach near Barcelona with the 4" and 10" watching Saturn and the Moon. I said something like, in the old-times philosophy was considered the better subject to prepare oneself and be master of your death (and by implication your life) but I think now astronomy fills that role. He turned to me, smiled and said, "Wow, you talk a loud of.......Another beer? :rolleyes: "

Thank you Scarp and Nightfisher!

I never thought anyone took notice of my bus trips out :smiley: I have had a couple more adventures over the last 7 weeks. One time atop a mountain which was mind-blowing, another in the desert lands and came back home covered in nasty bites. If I get the chance I will write up about them.

As the others have written, it is so true that this astronomy business is "a quest", a calling, much more than just a 'hobby'. I tried to explain it to my brother when he came over and we were on the beach near Barcelona with the 4" and 10" watching Saturn and the Moon. I said something like, in the old-times philosophy was considered the better subject to prepare oneself and be master of your death (and by implication your life) but I think now astronomy fills that role. He turned to me, smiled and said, "Wow, you talk a loud of.......Another beer? :rolleyes: "

we await your book mr Qualia

Dharma, i know you are reading this because you have just "liked" my original post.I can only say to you..............hang in there. Dont get rid of something that you will most likely come back to in the future. There's nothing wrong with storing away your scope if other aspects of life get in the way right now. We all start from some point in time and yes this is one hell of a frustrating "hobby" due to weather. Never lose faith in it though because the good times outweigh the bad ten fold.

If you really want to sell your scope (which i dont think you do), as long as you have eyes that work.......................keep looking upwards.

I dont think there has been a time in life when most of us have not thought about selling up our gear. Ive come close twice.

Maybe sell the scope and buy a set of bins.

Whatever suits you,is the best thing to do. I doubt that you will ever walk away from astronomy completely,now you have tested the water.

Paul

Mate I'm no hardcore sky gawper. Been just using my peepers for years. Only got first scope last year. I work shifts but sneak a pair of bins around with me.

Yeah the weathers been pants but such is our obsession that we take the rough with the smooth :) gonna start a thread re Q's adventures

I gave things up for about 15 years too due to light pollution, and only resumed when circumstances made it easier. Astronomy isn't the only thing and stuff comes and goes in cycles. Just how it is for many people...

Hi all,

i can understand why you are trying to encourage me to stay with it, and I really appreciate it. But the weather is only one small aspect of the reasons for stopping. The main reason is my change in working pattern, which means for the forseeable future, I won't be able to get any viewing in. The weather hasn't helped though :(

The scope is definitely going I'm afraid.

Sell the scope if you heart is set on it, which it seems to be. Get a pair of binos for the quick look every now and then at the brighter stuff. No need to leave SGL so you can still keep your interest in astronomy here.

Then who knows, further down the line your interest may pick up again.

Sad giving up a hobby. ..but a hobby is for enjoyment if your not getting enjoyment from it don't do it...I played with Scottish pipe bands for years and was a tutor but things change in your life ,, work.,,,and health being another...good luck for the future...Davy

Archived