NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Simple question..

Does a CCD camera that covers both planetary and DSOs exist?

Even more complicated, does such a camera have video functionality as well? :)

Life in AP is full of compromises - What camera to get that does it all? ...... welcome to probably one of the first!!!

Does a CCD camera that covers both planetary and DSOs exist?

Even more complicated, does such a camera have video functionality as well? :)

Hi,

Depending on what you want to image and the level of fidfelity of the capture, the answer is yes, no or maybe. Welcome to Astroimaging. If you are really serious about planetary imaging then what ypu need is a fast large aperture scope on a driven mount of some sort, AltAz will do. A sensitive webcam capable of downloading a huge amount of data ( frames) per second and you are up and running. If you wish to do serious DSO imaging, then you are playing a different and expensive game, the most important bit is the mount, then the scope and then the camera. Most of the so called dual purpose stuff are really planetary-guiding cameras with some ability to do long exposure ( 10s~30s ) imaging at the expense of noise and limited Dynmic Range . On a clear night in a dark site you should be able to do a bit of DSO imaging on the brightest of the objects only. For anything else you are better off using a DSLR or a cooled CCD camera once you really get serious about the stuff. There is no free lunch in this game. I have one of best planetary cameras for the money at moment, an ASI 120. I use it as a guide camera with 0.75s exposure and I need dark frame capture to clean up the noise. Horses for courses.,That is the name of the game.

Regards,

A.G

Depends on what you are looking for. These are not award winning but considering the webcam cost me about £30. not bad.

depends what award, if there is a award for budget imaging images, i would say these are award winning images.a couple of excellent images well done!!!!!!

Hi,

Depending on what you want to image and the level of fidfelity of the capture, the answer is yes, no or maybe. Welcome to Astroimaging. If you are really serious about planetary imaging then what ypu need is a fast large aperture scope on a driven mount of some sort, AltAz will do. A sensitive webcam capable of downloading a huge amount of data ( frames) per second and you are up and running. If you wish to do serious DSO imaging, then you are playing a different and expensive game, the most important bit is the mount, then the scope and then the camera. Most of the so called dual purpose stuff are really planetary-guiding cameras with some ability to do long exposure ( 10s~30s ) imaging at the expense of noise and limited Dynmic Range . On a clear night in a dark site you should be able to do a bit of DSO imaging on the brightest of the objects only. For anything else you are better off using a DSLR or a cooled CCD camera once you really get serious about the stuff. There is no free lunch in this game. I have one of best planetary cameras for the money at moment, an ASI 120. I use it as a guide camera with 0.75s exposure and I need dark frame capture to clean up the noise. Horses for courses.,That is the name of the game.

Regards,

A.G

I don't really need new scopes or cameras, I have what I need mostly -- I was simply thinking about downsizing by combining things.

You can't be serious!! Are you? :D

Depends on what your aspirations are I suppose. If you want to produce images of the highest quality then I'd say the answer is no. But then, if you are after professional quality images then why would you want to compromise your equipment? If on the other hand you want to produce very acceptable images on a budget (and lets face it....most of us have a budget) then I would say yes, it's possible. In fact leelee970 has shown us that it is.

Depends on what you are looking for. These are not award winning but considering the webcam cost me about £30. not bad.

here's your answer...yes you can

OK, it seems I'm going to to stick with my EOS 1100D and IMG132A... The Canon is great for DSOs and the IMG132A is fantastic planetary camera. OK, time to consider video astronomy in this case..then I'm covered :D

Terrific Jupiter! What Barlow did you use?

I just use my Phillips webcam for planets. It's been discontinued but they come up from time to time. Check up on Classifieds here, Astro Buy and Sell and eBay etc.

I just use my Phillips webcam for planets. It's been discontinued but they come up from time to time. Check up on Classifieds here, Astro Buy and Sell and eBay etc.

:D Why would I look for the Phillips camera? I already have a dedicate planetary camera :) Like I said, it's mainly an exploration really to see if I can have two for the price of one, so to speak.

Astrosurf ----I used a mead X3 barlow plus a long tube extension between the barlow and webcam (in effect making it more like x5 barlow)

:D Why would I look for the Phillips camera? I already have a dedicate planetary camera :) Like I said, it's mainly an exploration really to see if I can have two for the price of one, so to speak.

Sorry, not on all cylinders today!

Thanks Leelee.

Hi,

Regards,

A.G

Surely what you want is a slow large aperture scope in order to get the planets up to a decent size on the chip. The best planetary images are taken with Powermated or Barlowed SCTs and you don't get much slower than that.

The small chip fast frame cameras will only ever do deep sky as 'also rans' other than on certain very small bright targets where they can be great. That isn't to say they can't do it though.

Olly

Surely what you want is a slow large aperture scope in order to get the planets up to a decent size on the chip. The best planetary images are taken with Powermated or Barlowed SCTs and you don't get much slower than that.

The small chip fast frame cameras will only ever do deep sky as 'also rans' other than on certain very small bright targets where they can be great. That isn't to say they can't do it though.

Olly

Hi Olly,

I agree with you to a point but I'd rather I had a 12" F6 scope and a 2.5X powermate rather than my 127 F11.8 Mak with the same powermate, the large scope will be a lot brighter at the same magnification than the smaller slower one. For DSO imaging I guess a fast is scope essential. It is all a matter of compromise I guess.

Regards,

A.G

Archived