NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big dusty one in Cepheius RGB.

ollypenrice

This is a WIP project with Paul Kummer, who masterminded the capture using the FSQ106/11 meg. There's a lot of sky here and tha angle made framing rather tricky!

There are four panels contributing here, with decent overlap, plus I've blended data for the Bat and 1396 which I took in the Baby Q some time ago. Plus the Elephant Trunk from the TEC140. Scavenging the archives! :grin:

Of course this in an HaRGB project so, for now, here is the RGB only. Actually I like images at this stage because I do like the natural pre-Ha look with the nebulae all faint and spooky. In Ha the Bat is spectacular as another member is about to show us, I do believe...) So, with Ha to come here are the neighbouring nebulae in their dusty environment.

An hour per channel per panel plus bits. The Atik 11000, on paper, is not a fast camera but at the short FL of the F5 Tak it goes like a rocket in my view. No noise reduction whatever here. Evan seen in full it doesn't need any. I'm impressed by this camera.

Olly

At about a third of full size there's a bigger one here; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/9131296_ijREH#!i=2621795320&k=MRbtBjg&lb=1&s=O

TRUNK%20N%20BAT%20WEB-XL.jpg

Very large indeed. I´m wondering if more Lum could reveal more dust. Probably not imaged much this way, more in Ha.

Mark

Yes, I think it might. Trouble is, this size of project needs more time than it's possible to find. The Ha will make this a different picture, though.

Olly

hmmm very nice. That panoramic view is very tasty. I really like the blue reflection nebula around the bright star to the left of the bat. I do see the join between the IC1396 and the bright star at the left hand side. A layer copy and I think a levels adjustment, and a masked blend back in would sort that out. How many panels is this? Tom.

Thanks all. Tom, five panels plus old data overlaid. The last panel was tricky, with less faint signal, probably due to haze. In fact you could get this in four, with hindsight. I'll get more Ha. And fix that join!!

While I know that the Ha lifts it I do also like the 'truer' version in which the nebulosity barely shows. If you've ever tried to find parts of it in a 20 inch you'll know what I mean!!

Olly

A forum first!

I'll PM you over the Ha but, yes, I'm sure we'd love to collaborate and give you our RGB in exchange. I haven't yet seen whether you've posted your Bat but it's mighty fine. I'm going to buy an Astrodon 3Nm. Your Ha has details we just don't have. No doubt about it.

Olly

I'm going to buy an Astrodon 3Nm. Your Ha has details we just don't have. No doubt about it.

Olly

Oh don't say that... I was happy with my Baader filters until Sara and others started posting stunner after stunner using those Astrodons... I'd need larger than 1.25", I reckon, and thus a second mortgage for the whole lot including a new filter carousel for the unmounted 50mms. Don't understand why they don't do a mounted 2" - I'd be flexing my credit card for the Ha already if they did...

Oh don't say that... I was happy with my Baader filters until Sara and others started posting stunner after stunner using those Astrodons... I'd need larger than 1.25", I reckon, and thus a second mortgage for the whole lot including a new filter carousel for the unmounted 50mms. Don't understand why they don't do a mounted 2" - I'd be flexing my credit card for the Ha already if they did...

Tell me about it. My relief on seeing Sara's first result (which I didn't find very conclusive) has not so much evaporated as vapourized with every single subsequent image. Sara has a Bat in literally the same scope that I used for mine in the 7Nm. There are wisps and tendrils there that I never saw at all. As luck would have it I have a friend in the US at the moment...

Olly

Archived