Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Summer nights, hopeless for imaging

lensman57

Hi to all,

Is just my impression or summer nights are a right off for getting clean images? Since I came back from hoiliday 3 weeks ago I have only had one so so night and the rest have been cloudy or rainy, tonight is so murky that I can't even find a single decent guide star.

Bring on the winter I'd say.

A.G

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm set up and snapping away at the NaN :-)

Over here in Holland the skies are clear and even the contrails are not too bad tonight.

Summer is difficult but the targets are worth it.

Not very good for observing up here in the north of the Netherlands. Midnight and still just twilight. Useless for serious observing.

Lucky you lot, maybe I'd like to live in Holland in the summer.

A.G

One night in three weeks? As many as that? Wow, you're doing good mate!

I wanted to test new my CCD last night but very high cloud rolled in early evening. Unless you were a astronomer you would have thought it clear but it wasn't; could only see Mag1 stars poking through it.

Last winter was utterly shocking as well. About four clear nights the entire winter where I live - not so far from you.

Also mean to add it never gets truly dark on the northern horizon at the height of summer (aka now until end of July). And as Michael said, for imaging forget it until half eleven. That's late if you are at work the following day or are tired.

One night in three weeks? As many as that? Wow, you're doing good mate!

I wanted to test new my CCD last night but very high cloud rolled in early evening. Unless you were a astronomer you would have thought it clear but it wasn't; could only see Mag1 stars poking through it.

Last winter was utterly shocking as well. About four clear nights the entire winter where I live - not so far from you.

Hi,

Same here my friend, just recieved the 428EXc and set it up last night for M101, phd couldn't guide due to the thin high clouds. That was my second aborted attempt in consecutive nights, doesn't look any better tonight either.

A.G

I too have a new CCD camera to use and had very little use of it so far. Forecast says clear night skies as well as wall to wall sunshing by day (from yesterday) but as has been said, a clear sky to most people may not be a clear sky for us. It was all looking great last night with a guide camera clearer of background noise/whatever since I got it and a lovely bright star to guide on. So having had about an hour of good imaging I went to bed leaving it running unattended expecting two or three hours of acceptable subs. HUH it must have been soon after I left it that some cloud or mist appeared and killed the guiding. There were some clear frames after that but with "wonderfully" odd shaped stars. L shapes S shapes - you name it :D Finally, the intended object disappeared off the edge of the frame :( Maybe I'll watch it for longer tonight if the forecast clear skies materialise.

Hi,

Same here my friend, just recieved the 428EXc and set it up last night for M101, phd couldn't guide due to the thin high clouds. That was my second aborted attempt in consecutive nights, doesn't look any better tonight either.

A.G

Well, I am going to see Mrs Brown's Boys at National Ice Stadium tonight. So its bound to be superb conditions....

....I went to bed leaving it running unattended expecting two or three hours of acceptable subs....

You are brave imaging like that, unattended and in bed! What if it rained? What if your kit got stolen?

You are brave imaging like that, unattended and in bed! What if it rained? What if your kit got stolen?

If we did everything for the absolute greatest safety we wouldn't live :D However, I don't leave it unattended if there's any chance of rain. Mind you a rain alarm would be a good idea. We do have intruder alarms and PIR lights though.

If we did everything for the absolute greatest safety we wouldn't live :D However, I don't leave it unattended if there's any chance of rain. Mind you a rain alarm would be a good idea. We do have intruder alarms and PIR lights though.

Hi Gina,

I have the added concern of the next door neighbor's tabby playing havoc with all the wires.

Regards,

A.G

I still haven't got the courage to go to bed yet. I usually grab an hour or two at a time on the lounge :). More of a fear of technology going wrong than anything else. :embarassed:

I think I'll be staying up a bit longer tonight if we get clear skies to check that any passing clouds don't kill the guiding and if they do to reset it back onto the guide star.

If anyone can find Gina's place in the dark they'd be doing well. Same with mine.

I'm still imaging. I think it does depend on how far north you are, but in the south of the UK I think it's still quite possible for almost all of the summer.

james

I am too but i'd say i'll be tarping it all up in about 1/2 an hour :(. oh well, at least summer imaging doesn't completely kill your sleep pattern ;). silver lining?

I was all set for another imaging run last night but had software problems - AT simply wouldn't solve :( Tried restarting, rebooting the laptop, everything I could think of but no joy. The stars were there, it was finding just under 200 objects so no problem there. It's very puzzling - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I've had nights when it's running fast, solves in seconds, solves and "re-centers" to the target a couple of times and then it's spot on. But not last night, and no sign of the target. I don't think it was anything to do with conditions as it found plenty of objects (stars). I ran PHD which showed very good S/N and nice bright stars - several - to guide on. I calibrated and guiding was pretty good (though I have had better). With all my years of experience of computers and software I still don't know why it will will work sometimes but not others! :( About 12:45 I gave up, shut up and went to bed!

I managed 2 hours Friday night. Had to guide at 5 seconds to maintain a constant guide.

Grabbed Ha/OIII/SII with the WO Z71 and SXH9 on the NGC6992 Veil. It was also the initial first try with the Truetec Filter Wheel (worked flawlessly).

I haven't got a clue on processing Narrowband so it may take a little time before I post. Just nice to get out imaging again.

Steve

I was all set for another imaging run last night but had software problems - AT simply wouldn't solve :( Tried restarting, rebooting the laptop, everything I could think of but no joy. The stars were there, it was finding just under 200 objects so no problem there. It's very puzzling - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I've had nights when it's running fast, solves in seconds, solves and "re-centers" to the target a couple of times and then it's spot on. But not last night, and no sign of the target. I don't think it was anything to do with conditions as it found plenty of objects (stars). I ran PHD which showed very good S/N and nice bright stars - several - to guide on. I calibrated and guiding was pretty good (though I have had better). With all my years of experience of computers and software I still don't know why it will will work sometimes but not others! :( About 12:45 I gave up, shut up and went to bed!

Hi Gina,

At last I got something last night, I have posted it in the "starting with imaging " section of the forum as I am still trying to find my feet and my wires in the dark.. I have set up for M57 tonight, just an easy and simple set up, hope it goes well as it is very hazy.

Regards,

A.G

AT worked tonight and I'm imaging the Eagle. Guiding is fine so far but the subs are not the best. I'm running a sequence of 5m Ha - 10m OIII - 10m OIII - 10m SII - 10m SII then back to the start. This is giving star ADUs in the 50-60 thousands so I'm on the limit. Just hoping that stacking will drag the faint stuff out. Can't post anthing ATM as my PS has stopped working following a reboot to try to overcome a very sluggish PC. There's always something!! :( I'll try rebooting again tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I'll have to reinstall it - hope I can find the registration code!.

Hi Gina,

At last I got something last night, I have posted it in the "starting with imaging " section of the forum as I am still trying to find my feet and my wires in the dark.. I have set up for M57 tonight, just an easy and simple set up, hope it goes well as it is very hazy.

Regards,

A.G

Glad you got something last night - I'll take a look :) Think there's some haze here too. Gook luck with your imaging tonight :)

AT worked tonight and I'm imaging the Eagle. Guiding is fine so far but the subs are not the best. I'm running a sequence of 5m Ha - 10m OIII - 10m OIII - 10m SII - 10m SII then back to the start. This is giving star ADUs in the 50-60 thousands so I'm on the limit. Just hoping that stacking will drag the faint stuff out. Can't post anthing ATM as my PS has stopped working following a reboot to try to overcome a very sluggish PC. There's always something!! :( I'll try rebooting again tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I'll have to reinstall it - hope I can find the registration code!.

Sorry to hear about your computer, most frustrating machines, funny you mentioned the Eagle, I considered it tonight but it was and is hidden behind my next door neighbor's house . Hope things go well for you tonight.

Regards,

A.G

Archived