Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

whats your passion?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in your boat before. I've been a long time astronomy aficionado via internet, books, documentaries, and the occasional glance at the sky. My wife took the leap for me and bought me a modest starter scope, bless her heart. I will tell you this, the first time you see Jupiter and its 4 moons or the first time you see the rings of Saturn.... You will want to see more, you will want to find more ... even if it has been found before.

The beauty of the universe demands your attention. You will not just be taking on a hobby, rather it has taken you.

~clear skies

For me, i love open clusters, they are such beautiful objects to view. M11 being my favourite.

Recently as well, ive started doing alot more imaging, and exactly like auspom says, i may not be producing great images, but the buzz and exciting of getting an image that ive done myself is very rewarding.

for me its just the peace and quiet me and the cat and my scope just cruising the sky seeing the stars and planets galaxeys ect

thinking were not alone with all thats out there in some distant part of the universe there are others i think we all agree that what we do for a hobby is magic everytime we look up we are still amazed on what we see, my son loves to look when i can get him out of the house

i think late autum/ winter is the best time . i just love it

I suppose for me it's some hidden dream/desire to escape to new, wonderful worlds and discover totally new things, other then the aesthetic appreciation of colorful, mesmerizing far away wonders.

it's just me time, I stand I look at the sky and let my imagination loose. It's the same if I am sitting by the sea or standing on top of a mountain. I live in birmingham which is about as far away from sea and mountains as you get in england. in a sense space is much closer

• 2 weeks later...

I love the fact that with a relatively cheap scope you can see a vast amount more than with you naked eyes.

What looks to be a star with you eye reveals itself to be, in fact another beautiful planet, another world. Its amazing. Even just seeing the ISS or satellites passing over gives me a sense of amazement. I'm sure I am not the only one that has stared and stared for literally hours at Saturn.

The me time scanning outside gazing up and looking around is what I need every now and then.

I love the fact that with a relatively cheap scope you can see a vast amount more than with you naked eyes.

What looks to be a star with you eye reveals itself to be, in fact another beautiful planet, another world. Its amazing. Even just seeing the ISS or satellites passing over gives me a sense of amazement. I'm sure I am not the only one that has stared and stared for literally hours at Saturn.

The me time scanning outside gazing up and looking around is what I need every now and then.

For me, there is nothing I enjoy more than to have someone who has never seen the Moon or Saturn or Jupiter look through my telescope and exclaim, "WOW! Look at that!" Public outreach is by far the most rewarding aspect of backyard astronomy and it's what I'm most passionate about.

Archived