Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The beginning of the end for telescopes and binoculars?

SteveNickolls

A contact lens can never replace a scope or binocular. It hasn't got the aperture for resolution and it hasn't got the aperture for photon gathering. The optics depicted might just increase the aperture by a few mm (which can be handy), to perhaps 0.5", but when was the last time you saw a scope of that diameter advertised?

From what I can read if I had good eyesight and no need of any form of correction I would have to start wearing contact lens and then to change between whatever the 2 modes of operation are I would have to put on or take off polarising glasses. And this would deliver 2.8x magnification.

I can pick up a set of binoculars and get 8x without inserting or wearing anything.

Am I the only one imagining confused squaddies bewildered by their variable depth perception in combat?

Or possibly confused Irish priests?

"Now Dougal, these are very small, those are far way. No, wait..."

If someone really wanted to they could make telescopic glasses. I doubt anyone would want to wear them though, as Michael points out the aperture is far too small to be useful for stargazing.

Although I wear glasses for reading, The thought of putting contacts in my eyes - is making me shiver just thinking about it Most definitely bins or scope for me always..

Archived