NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first ever imaging attempt. Sorry!

BrettP77

1279_10151786686940579_25345752_n.jpgFeel a bit out of my depth looking at all the amazing images on here but my first attempt at Saturn resulted in this.

I used a £3 Tesco webcam on my Skywatcher 114 1000 so probably about as basic as you can get equipment wise!!!

Ran it through registax 6 and basically just played about with it.

I know it is very poor compared to all the images on here but if anyone has any advice for me I would love to hear!

saturn6rs.bmp

It can be challenging, this imaging malarkey, so well done.

Many don't show their starting efforts, so don't ever apologise for publishing them.

It's a good start, and will encourage others to have a go as well.

Keep the momentum going and you'll soon be showing big improvements.

Dave

I was fortunate in that my first planetary images were with a Toucam Pro 2 - back when they were new.. and cheap. My best Saturn images are actually those very first attempts. I'm now working at 25% of the focal length I was back then so I doubt I will better them any time soon.

clearly saturn, a disc, and a set of rings so all is not lost :smiley: top marks for posting and as other have said never apologise! my advice is keep it somewhere safe and compare it to what you will be doing this time next year with the right advice and practice

that's it mate, you are now officially on the slc (steep learning curve) :D. Enjoy the journey

oh, and there's no need for sorries... you should have seen my first saturn

Thanks for the feedback. I did think twice about posting the image, believe me! For me, the fact that everybody on here is offering encouragement and advice has made me want to stick at it and try to do better next time. I've only had a scope for 6 months so still a novice and this was a trip into the unknown and a bit of an experiment more than anything.

Would getting a better/different webcam make a big difference? If so what should I look for?

Thanks.

There is nothing to apologize for. Nice first effort, and about the same as my first effort, but my first effort was with a C8, accurate tracking mount, and an SPC900 camera, so I had a head start kit-wise. I think there may have been some shaking of the tripod which distorted the image a bit, but focus seems to be OK (always a hard bit)

As everyone has said, that is a good start. We were all beginners at some point and none of us will ever stop learning. There will also always be someone out there that has a cleaner, sharper or just better picture; damn them! :grin:

Read all you can on the subject, including the 'how tos' for registax etc and keep trying every chance you get.

As James said, Saturn isn't really in a good position at the moment. I've seen images not too dissimilar to yours with equipment costing 100x as much so you have nothing to be embarrassed about at all.

I know it's a long time off but have a go at Jupiter when it comes into a better position in Nov/Dec/Jan and see what you get then. It's a bigger target and brighter not to mention higher in the sky, all beneficial to your imaging. Your skills and possibly your equipment will be better and honed by then too and you will see a marked difference.

At the end of the day though, the only person you need to impress is yourself. If you are happy with it, then it's the best image there is, as you are the only one that knows what went in to producing that image.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

You're so much further along than I was when I took my first planetary picture. I think you did a great job.

Just watch out. There's a nasty bug going around that makes you want to spend all your money upgrading. It's easy to diagnose but the recovery period is long!

Archived