Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick maths question...well, not maths

emadmoussa

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need the sum for circumference of a circle. it probably has pie invovled. I think it's pi x diameter if memory serves.

The primary mirror diamter doesn't allow you to work out a 100% accurate circumference as the OTA will be bigger so that it can house the mirror. If you assume the OTA has a diameter of say 13" then you can do the following sum

3.142 (from memory) x 330mm so 1.03m

Cut it at 1.2m for a bit of overlap

You need the sum for circumference of a circle. it probably has pie invovled. I think it's pi x diameter if memory serves.

The primary mirror diamter doesn't allow you to work out a 100% accurate circumference as the OTA will be bigger so that it can house the mirror. If you assume the OTA has a diameter of say 13" then you can do the following sum

3.142 (from memory) x 330mm so 1.03m

Cut it at 1.2m for a bit of overlap

Cool, thanks! this is what I wanted to know. I'm ordering this now, it should be long enough :)

It's already explained but again, simply measure the circumference of the OTA and multiple this number by 3.14. You've also got to take into account the length required to actually tie or sow it down onto the OTA.

it's a length unit so it can't be r squared!...... that's for are....like everyone said it's Pi (3.142) x diameter.

or 3.142 x 11...

BUT Mallorcasaint's answer is better 'cos your calc will be slightly under,.... the diameter of the material layed over 11" tube will be a bit bigger than 11"

It's already explained but again, simply measure the circumference of the OTA and multiple this number by 3.14. You've also got to take into account the length required to actually tie or sow it down onto the OTA.

Sure, I'm leaving some extra to attach some velcro. My C11 will wear a tux soon :D

Yep, just measure the circumferance with a tape meaasure and add a ha'porth on for luck. No need for mathas at all.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm at work at the moment and needed to order the leather sheet ASAP to have it delivered by Monday. The one I ordered is 130cm min in length and 60cm wide...so it should be enough.

Diameter, not circumference (that is what you want to measure).

Michael, I was figuring that the diameter might be understood as the aperture of the OTA and feared if that was so the bag wouldn't fit. For example, the diameter on my Tal is something around, say, 100mm but the tube itself is widder. I thought it would be better to take that circumference than simply do 11" x 3.14.

Michael, I was figuring that the diameter might be understood as the aperture of the OTA and feared if that was so the bag wouldn't fit. For example, the diameter on my Tal is something around, say, 100mm but the tube itself is widder. I thought it would be better to take that circumference than simply do 11" x 3.14.

I understand what you are getting at, but I think there is a language issue here. Circumference is not the right word for what you mean: tube diameter is better, and should indeed be distinguished from aperture.

Michael is on the money here w.r.t to wording/definitions.

In fact if you want the length as well while you are at it, to cut an area A it is pi * diameter * length for a cylinder of wrapped material. Personally I'd measure the diameter up to inside of the tube, add on x to allow for a bit of overlap if needed for fixing on.

Not that I ever flocked a tube , theoretically speaking :) therefore the final formula would be

(( pi * diameter) + bit of overlap distance ) * length for the total area in units of distance squared .

Archived