NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fujiyama HD-OR Orthoscopic Eypieces

John

I've noticed that Lyra Optic are going to be carrying a new line of orthoscopics:

http://www.lyraoptic.co.uk/Eyepieces.html

They look very similar to the Astro Hutech orthoscopics to except that the line includes a 4mm and a 25mm. I seem to recall that those focal lengths might be coming to the Astro Hutech ortho series in due course too as well, perhaps ?

It will be interesting to see what the price is.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet anyone who has paid way over the odds for BGO's recently are cursing their luck now! Rumor has it that University Optics are also bringing back the HD Othos. I think its a safe enough bet these will all be identical in performance!

Rumor has it that University Optics are also bringing back the HD Othos. I think its a safe enough bet these will all be identical in performance!

That will please our USA friends - they were very fond of the UO brand :smiley:

Personally, I still rate the Baader Classic orthos. For < £50 new they deliver performance which keeps up with some very illustrious names. One or two observers on the Cloudynights forum feel they have slightly edged even the Delos in some situations. Pity Baader could not add a couple more focal lengths into the range.

It sounds like Masuyama's has increased production. It would be interesting to see if there are any difference between the various brands of Masuyama orths. Including this new one, there are five versions - BGO, UO HD, Kasai, Hutech and now Fujiyama.

Odd name though. Lawyers from Fuji optical might want a word with them

I am not so sure about that. Fujiyama is a perfectly legitimate surname in Japan and it is written in a different way to Fuji. At least, I don't think a Japanese person will confuse Fujiyama with Fuji or Fujinon, in the same way a English is not going to confuse a Mr Stevens with a Mr Stevenson. I reckon it would be ok as long as they don't try to shorten it to Fuji.

I've noticed that Lyra Optic are going to be carrying a new line of orthoscopics:

http://www.lyraoptic.../Eyepieces.html

They look very similar to the Astro Hutech orthoscopics to except that the line includes a 4mm and a 25mm. I seem to recall that those focal lengths might be coming to the Astro Hutech ortho series in due course too as well, perhaps ?

It will be interesting to see what the price is.

Funny you should say that John, I was just about to post the same thing myself :).

Hm, something tells me that they will be (performance wise) the same as the BGO and Hutech. It will be interesting to see how they are priced. Things seem to be looking up for ortho fans!

Guess you won't be getting a set to run tests on John.?

Alan.

Well I could ask Glen at Lyra Optics nicely and see what he says :smiley:

As has already been said though, I have the feeling that their performance would be identical to the Astro Hutech's and the Baader GO's.

Looking at the photo of the range, and assuming thats how they will finally look, it looks as if the Fujiyama HD's have adopted the shorter body style. The Astro Hutech's use the same body length as the Baader GO's with the exception of the 6mm and the 18mm which are the shorter format as I reported in my comparison report here:

The significance of this is in the focal plane of the eyepiece which, with the 6mm and 18mm Astro Hutech's, means that they come to focus around 8mm further outwards than the longer format ones.

Because they seem to have adopted the short format body throughout the range, the Fujiyama HD's should all be more or less par focal. If your focuser is really short of inwards travel that 8mm might be significant.

Interesting news indeed.. :shocked:

I found this thread online which suggests that the "new" Fujiyama range are indeed a rebadged/reformed version of the BGO.. you can find it here: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.armazemdotelescopio.com.br/loja/index.php/component/content/article/35-noticias/86-linhakokusai&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFujiyama%2Borthoscopic

I for one am glad they have dropped that really annoying undercut..smooth barrels all the way please! :grin:

Dave

PS: for what it's woth, the indicated price of 9800 Japanese Yen works out at around £66. So my guess/hope would be that the new price in the UK shouldn't be much different to the old BGO new price when they discontinued (c £75-£80 plus postage).

Dave

Yep...and more fool anyone who paid anything like that!

I see the prices have come down again pretty quickly, to a more reasonable £50-£60 in good used condition. And let's not blame the eps themselves...they are still wonderful orthos, great coatings (never bettered?) and superb build..

Dave

John,

Just to get the taste buds going it may be nice if one or two could be tried out, I don't see there is a point in going through the whole range, you would still be doing it a Christmas, I know how long these things can take and I am sure I get more clear sky than the UK.

I will ask and see if he would send me a 4 or 5mm when they come. I like the orthos but like you, you have to be in the mood. Sometimes I find just banging in a Ethos a nice way to unwind, the other night I almost fell asleep at the scope.

Alan

Alan.

Just to pick up on the overpriced BGO's, though I think maybe enough has been said about them, I did pay 80 for a 9mm, though to be fair having used it I don't feel I was done. I bought a new 12.5mm Hutech while in England from FLO, I am very [pleased with that too, I see they have come down a little as well, I paid 89 pounds.

Seems as if the ortho fashion bandwagon rolls on.

Alan

John,

Just to get the taste buds going it may be nice if one or two could be tried out, I don't see there is a point in going through the whole range, you would still be doing it a Christmas, I know how long these things can take and I am sure I get more clear sky than the UK.

I will ask and see if he would send me a 4 or 5mm when they come. I like the orthos but like you, you have to be in the mood. Sometimes I find just banging in a Ethos a nice way to unwind, the other night I almost fell asleep at the scope.

Alan

Alan.

so basically alan when you use the ethos your bored and fall asleep, is that what you mean :grin: :grin:

I don't think he will be getting the other FL's until the Autumn Alan but it would be worth asking anyway I guess.

I wish someone would come out with these optics in the classic "volcano top" body shape - that shape did help get the eye closer to the eye lens of the shorter focal length orthos I felt.

I don't think he will be getting the other FL's until the Autumn Alan but it would be worth asking anyway I guess.

I wish someone would come out with these optics in the classic "volcano top" body shape - that shape did help get the eye closer to the eye lens of the shorter focal length orthos I felt.

And thats why i keep my circle T`s, still such a shame they went out of production

it's funny you should say that as I am unusual I think that I like the flat tops. they seem to settle on my upper brow better and I can slightly lean on the eyepiece. with the VTs I found myself 'hovering' a little which I didn't find as comfy. vive la difference! :grin:

John,

The funny thing is I thought I would have problems with the 6mm BGO and I don't find it that bad, so much so I would be happy to push the envelope to 5mm for sure and after seeing that maybe to 4mm. I am sure the likes of yourself will let us all know when they land.

I guess though that the shaped tops help a fair bit as it is only the eye-lashes that seem to get in the way. I have never used one or seen one for that matter.

I am now off to the seaside for a week and a bit of shear hell.

Alan

Archived