NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-157 (the claw) and the Bubble in colour

swag72

I firstly attacked this target with my 3nm Ha filter and I have to say that I love the detail it pulls out of the sky! So with a forecast of a number of clear nights I thought I'd try a colour version. Collected the data - always the easy part and then processing - Boy was it hard. I think I've reached a place where it's OK, but I think I need to learn that there's just too much red when I add all of the Ha to the red channel.

There looks like a gradient in the top right, but from what I can see it's the Ha data, and it really jumps out on this small version.

Well I like to be heavy handed I suppose, so here it is, Sh2-157 and it's friends!

If there's anything you see that you don't like or you think should be done differently then I'd love to hear it.

Details

M: HEQ5

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460EX mono with 3nm Ha and Baader RGB filters

9x1800s Ha

26x240s in RGB

Flats used for all filters.

post-5681-0-13210700-1371383109_thumb.jp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff Sara :) Lovely detailled image :) You didn't say how you added the Ha to the RGB - looks like Ha to red and 25% Ha to blue, like I do myself :D

Another one to add to my DSO list, methinks :) Could you tell me the width of your image in arcmins please Sara?

Thanks all, appreciate you looking and commenting. I've just run it through SCNR to rid the green, but there's still sometihng there - I think perhaps the start of some more nebulosity?

@Gina - My image scale is about 104x130 arc minutes using the 0.73x reducer.

post-5681-0-29967300-1371405776_thumb.jp

Thanks all, appreciate you looking and commenting. I've just run it through SCNR to rid the green, but there's still sometihng there - I think perhaps the start of some more nebulosity?

@Gina - My image scale is about 104x130 arc minutes using the 0.73x reducer.

post-5681-0-29967300-1371405776_thumb.jp

Thank you Sara :) That will fit in nicely with my 200mm lenses widefield then (156 x 114 arc minutes) :)

Add it to the ever growing list Gina?!!!!!

Absolutely!! :D
Look forward to seeing it - I'll keep an eye out.
Send me some of your nice Spanish weather and I'll see what I can do :D Goodness knows when we're going to get any here - nothing any good in the forecast :(

That's a superb image Sara! Can you tell us a little about how you combined the Ha with RGB? There are lots of different options around

ranging from creating a synthetic luminance from the all the data to mixing Ha in different proportions into Red and Blue, different blending modes to

keep the size of stars in check etc...

E.

Thank you - I combined the Ha initially in the red channel at 100% (mistake, should have don eit much less!) in blend mode lighten. Then I also combined my Ha in green and blue but both times at 25% opacity, again blend mode lighten. Then I *think* I also used it as a luminance channel, but probably at about 50% opacity otherwise it all tends to go rather pink.

Thank you - I combined the Ha initially in the red channel at 100% (mistake, should have don eit much less!) in blend mode lighten. Then I also combined my Ha in green and blue but both times at 25% opacity, again blend mode lighten. Then I *think* I also used it as a luminance channel, but probably at about 50% opacity otherwise it all tends to go rather pink.

I see, thanks!

E.

I think it's great, Sara. Rarely seen, too.

Regarding adding Ha to red, etc, what I do is add it at 100%, bang wallop, and save that. Then I paste the HaRGB onto the pure RGB that I've just modified and vary the opacity to taste. I can't see any need to apply it in iterations.

Olly

Archived