Hello from Surrey

AlexM83

This feels a little awkward introducing myself. It's such a massive community and I have literally just in the last hour gotten excited enough about astronomy to ask questions about it. So bear with me if I seem a little impetuous.

I know it is something which requires a lot of learning and patience, but I won't find out if it's something I'll stick with without considering it!

A bit more about me, I'm 30, I live in the UK, and the furthest I got with in Physics was an A-Level, and barely anything on astronomy from what I can remember.

I think I've always been interested in Astronomy, but like most others have no idea of it beyond what you see on documentaries. I have used a friends telescope once and he had to locate the moon for me! Saying that, it is magical seeing planets through a lens. I think a lot of people might give up before they start as it's such a huge subject that most people would consider it a big risk to jump into. I think that was where I was at for years until I had a look at some of the results even of the moon.

I guess, ultimately I would like to look into astrophotography. But I know where I am at (nowhere) and I wanted to introduce myself before asking questions in the main forums.

Alex.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, AlexM83, and welcome to SGL! If you are looking for somewhere to start I can recommend 'Stellarium' a free planetarium programme which may help in showing and locating objects in the night sky. This is customisable for local conditions, and can be dowloaded from here: http://stellarium.org If you are interested in astrophotography many recommend 'Every Photon Counts' by Steve Richards available from here: www.firstlightoptics.com I would also recommend going to a local astronomy club to talk to those involved in astronomy/photography and to get a feel for the equipment (and costs!) involved. Oh, and of course, use the forums here!

Martin

Thank you Martin for the reply!

I have seen Every Photon Counts recommended here before signing up. Stellarium sounds very interesting and useful, just looking at that now.

I will have to look for a local astronomy club.

Thank you again.

Hi Alex

Welcome to the SGL

Whereabouts in Surrey are you? The "SGL Surrey observers" meet on Ranmore common just outside Dorking if that's not too far away for you.

No gear, no probs just come along for a chat and have a butchers through a few scopes. :)

Check out our section for when meetings are on.

http://stargazerslou...rrey-observers/

Hi Alex,

Welcome to SGL, another vote for stellarium. If you have not got a star atlas try 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas'. For the cash its a great book, used with turn left at orion this should guide you round the sky.

Hi Alex, Welcome to SGL. This is a great forum to be part of. Another thing you may want to consider buying, is a planisphere. You can get them from W H Smiths for about £10. its helps you navigate your way around the night sky by date and time, I think you will find it very useful if you are out looking at the night sky. Full instructions on how to use it are on the reverse.

Thank you, I will have a look.

And thank you for the welcome Shaun. I was going to edit my post to include that. Not sure if editing is only available after my first 10 posts or if I have just missed the button.

Hi Alex welcome to the lounge,

it does help to have a little knowledge of the night sky,

but one of the most enjoyable things about this great hobby

is this forum, if you need help it's not long before someone

gives you the advice you are after, everyone is so friendly.

Good Luck

Thank you Ron.

It seems a good place to be already.

I look forward to finding out more about this hobby!

A good community can only help people to keep going when the going get tough.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

The books mentioned, planetarium and stellarium are all great. I have them, but the best source of knowledge I have found and benefited from is right here on SGL. These guys know everything between them.

Archived