Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which RACI finder scope?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I replaced my Straight with the optical vision 9x50 RACI just recently. 100% improvement for me, I would recommend one, I can't comment on an illuminated type tho.

Isn't this one a replica of the Skywatcher RACI finder?!!

I use a non-illuminated RACI finder branded Orion (USA). It's the same as the Skywatcher and many other clones of course but works extremely well. The cross hairs seem clearly defined even without illumination.

Re-branding of the same item under numerous names is massively common within the world of astro equipment of course. Brands such as Revelation, Telescope Services (TS), Orion (USA) and many others don't have their own manufacturing capability - they rely on sourcing from China and Taiwan, branding the goods and selling them. Sometimes the pricing of the same item can vary quite substantially though so it pays to check out the options carefully.

I built a 16x70 RACI with illuminated reticule, but recently updated it into a 14x70 without illumination (and all natural cross hair :D). I never use the illumination as I can see the cross hairs well enough, even at dark sites, and I feel illumination interferes with my night vision. There are various very nice ones (up to 80mm) from Teleskop Service. Haven't used these, but they have a large range.

I considered getting a Telrad next to my RACI, but I also find it so easy to get by with "just" the 70mm finder that I never bothered with the Telrad. A key problem with Telrads or any RDF is that you can only star-hop with naked eye stars, which is a real problem in many tricky objects, especially with even slight LP or haze. I can use stars down to mag 10 or so to pinpoint the correct position in the sky. Usually, the target is dead centre in the FOV of the scope. Put differently, the pointing accuracy with my 14x70 finder is theoretically 14x more accurate than with a Telrad.

You do not have a lot of options with an RACI illuminated finder, and they are expensive. The 10x60 Altair Astro would be your cheapest, but I have heard some concerns about the rigidity of the mounting bracket, but other than that, all seems well. Your other alternatives are from the States, Astro-Tech do a very nice RACI 10x50 illuminated complete with Brkt costing in the region of $199 and an Antares RACI 7.5x50 with Bkt in the region $213. There are other top major brands, but the price is out the window.

I have the Antares, which has an etched screen eye piece ( not wires ) revolvable through 360°, which has its uses in star hopping, if you are not using GOTO, a very nice well built scope and strong mounting Bkt :)

The very best 9x50 illuminated straight through correct image finder I posses, model EF 508 was purchased from Barry Gooley, Kokusai kohki in Japan, some years back, when the Yen was lots to the GB pound. it is beautifully made and has a lovely etched cross hair divided into1.0° increments,(at night you could think you are the Commander of a submarine ) Because of my never ending back injury problem, I often had difficulty with its use, so it was relegated, after changing to the RACI Antares. However, this may change, as I have just recently acquired a s/h Nikon DR-3 right angle finder from Ebay, State Side. Incl postage through my friend, who is there on job exchange, it cost me less than £20. When health permits, I shall connect it to the EF 508 with a purpose made turned connector, as both profiles are circular, and experimental trials seem to indicate that it will work very well, bringing the scope back into use.

There are two right angle finders you can use The Nikon DR-3 and the Canon right angle finder B, both could be adapted using various size bits of tubing / glue and tape until you achieve a fit. My trails also reveal that the old Canon B works very well with the SW Polar scope and will turn this into a nice right angle unit for those who have difficulty with awkward positions, wet knees etc :)

OK, let's say I drop the illumination part and don't really fancy the Skywatcher - I've got a couple of straight ones -- then what? :D

Nothing wrong with the Skywatcher one. As I said, it's the same unit as many others. If the colour does not suit consider one of the other brand names it comes in.

Celestron and Skywatcher are owned by the same company (Synta) so their stuff comes out of the same factory now.

i have an antares 8x50 raci , i find it does the job. to be honest though if i were to buy a raci finder ,id go for 8 or 9 x 50 ,but other than that id go for the cheapest,simply because its a finder and it will do just that ,i dont use mine as much as the telrad ,and when i do its for small amounts of time.

again thats only what ID do, some may think a top quality optical finder is more important to them.

Alternatively, buy a cheap no-name 70mm frac that comes bundled with a 45 + 90 deg prism for £25 second hand. I have one mounted on my little newt and it is excellent! Either use a 32mm ep for x11 mag or my 20mm plossl with 0.5 focal reducer for x8 mag and its superb!

Optically it is not a SW ed80 or some fancy triplet....but for a super widefield finder scope it is brilliant, it weighs nothing, attaches via the piggy back screw on the its rings and serves as a grab n go if needed. Cheap and very effective.

Again I'm keenly following this as a lot of scopes I like have the red dot finder so if I can mount a good RA spotterscope with illuminated reticules I'm in business :D

Good luck with your search, will google all these models

Hi Ya Emad - not sure if your going to put it on the c11 or not - but I have the Orion RACI - tried to put it in the bracket that came with the cpc and found that its too short - you can't get a comfortable fit in the celestron finder bracket that came with the cpc (mines the 1 that the finder bracket has 2 screws in - the whole unit slides over the dovetail which is attached to the scope tube) so just be aware of this mate. Paul.

PS just bang one of your fracs on it you posh sod !!!!

• 1 year later...

The very best 9x50 illuminated straight through correct image finder I posses, model EF 508 was purchased from Barry Gooley, Kokusai kohki in Japan, some years back, when the Yen was lots to the GB pound. it is beautifully made and has a lovely etched cross hair divided into1.0° increments,(at night you could think you are the Commander of a submarine ) Because of my never ending back injury problem, I often had difficulty with its use, so it was relegated, after changing to the RACI Antares. However, this may change, as I have just recently acquired a s/h Nikon DR-3 right angle finder from Ebay, State Side. Incl postage through my friend, who is there on job exchange, it cost me less than £20. When health permits, I shall connect it to the EF 508 with a purpose made turned connector, as both profiles are circular, and experimental trials seem to indicate that it will work very well, bringing the scope back into use.

There are two right angle finders you can use The Nikon DR-3 and the Canon right angle finder B, both could be adapted using various size bits of tubing / glue and tape until you achieve a fit. My trails also reveal that the old Canon B works very well with the SW Polar scope and will turn this into a nice right angle unit for those who have difficulty with awkward positions, wet knees etc :)

Ok...so pls forgive the "newbie" question:  the RACI mentioned in Emad's original post seemed to have some pretty healthy credentials and appears well-regarded.  When comparied with a pair of quality binoculars ( 9x58, porros on a very stable tripod, similar price-tag),  why then are these not utilized as starter 'scopes or as an alternative?  Have not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Thx!

Marc 

Archived