Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

looking at getting 12inch dob for fist scope

Hello all firstly may i apologise for this post as im sure you all have heard it before. well im new to this looking at getting my first telescope later this month. i am thinking about a 12 inch dobsonian so if anyone can reccomend on then that would be great!

Also i am a little confused as to why i have seen 2 pictures from the same scope of saturn yet the detail in them is very different.

Many thanks

Kris

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi.

I've got a SkyWatcher 300P Flextube GOTO. Very pleased with it. Views of Jupiter and Saturn are fabulous. I can see Jupiter's great red spot no problems and Saturn's clouds and ring divisions.

Deep sky objects are great as well as the scope gathers so much light.

The scope's tracking is good. It is just about portable. The largest possible really if you want to move it around or transport it.

Planetary photography is easily achievable and the brighter DSOs are possible too.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

They are great scopes but do try and have a look at one for real if you can - they are also large scopes !

The details you can see of particular objects vary a lot due to the seeing conditions and other factors so it's really difficult to predict exactly what Saturn, Jupiter or other objects will look like to you.

Photos though scopes really don't equate to what you can see visually as our eyes can't compete with CCD's and image processing techniques. Have a look at the sketches section of the forum - that will be more representative.

Hi kris, wow, a 12" dob as a starter!

re imaging, quality can differ due to the atmosphere at that time, the quality of the camera utilised, and the processing of the images obtained.

i' m very new to this myself, so take a look at the imaging section of the forum.

I'm considering a try at imaging myself with a modified webcam. Registax is a popular bit of free software to stack the best images obtained, and turns out some great looking images from even humble £15 webcams.

One thing I'd say between the skywatchers and Meade, is that the upper and lower portions of the tube separate completely on the Meade. This means its a bit easier on the back. I've heard it said that the skywatchers of given aperture are the the same bulk as a Meade that's 2" larger.

I've got a 12" lightbridge and am very happy with it .

Dont forget to leave enough budget left for a decent selection of eyepieces.

My 12" dob is an Orion Optics solid tube on a mount custom made for me by an SGL member. It's about as light as a 12" scope gets at 16kg for the tube and 10kg for the mount. I can lift it in one piece and move it around the garden short distances but I make the move in and out of the house with the scope in 2 sections.

Unless it is an "honest" sketch of Saturn then forget any images that you see.

The camera operates different to the eye and so what is produced by a camera will most likely not match what the eye sees.

The other aspect to take into account is no-one will put up a poor image they have gotten, you will most likely see only the good ones.

Even on a sketch a person may not be able to see the cassini division, but knowing it is there it can then appear on a sketch.

Hello

Just remember the light gathering ability of a 12" dob. will make your next telescope purchase

expensive as you will always want better.

If you can lift it then go for it.

The best scope is one you use and not the one sat in the corner because its to awkward to set up.

Dave

Saturn actually looked better through the eyepiece than the picture I took. Simply breathtaking on a good night.

A 12" scope with decent eye pieces will give you fantastic views as long as the seeing is good. The upgrade temptation is not as great ;)

Dave is spot on. A scope is only good if you can use it easily. If setting up is a chore then chances are you won't bother on a lot of nights. How are you intending to use it? Mainly static or lugging it about?

I guess the question is what is driving your choice on a 12" scope?

Welcome!

A 12" was my goal at first, too, but considering you need a very dark site to really use it's full potential, I went with a 10" travel dobsonian instead (9kg).

If your main target are planets and moon, you don't need such a large telescope :-)

The best thing would be to take a look at a 10" yourself (as suggested) prior to purchasing one.

Also for deepsky photography you will require a EQ/german mount, a dobsonian won't do in that case.

Have fun!

That's a great scope.

You definitely should heed the advice and try to see one in the flesh. It's a big scope - you might be surprised how big and it will be heavy. I have the 10" version and fully assembled (without all the extras I have added) it weighs 32kgs. That's a fair bit of weight and it's an awkward size to carry. I suspect that the 12" would be close to, if not over, what I could carry assembled. It splits down easily for transport but you need to be sure you are happy with that and even in two pieces you have to be confident you can lift it.

You will also need to think about accessories. A light shroud of some sort is pretty much essential, other stuff can wait but an observing chair, right angle finder and such like might be useful additions in time.

Thanks for all the replys folks, as I said earlier I am very new to all this and I have basically picked a 10-12 inch due to the fact of aperture size, other than that I don't really know what I'm after, really interested in DSO and planets, transportation won't be a problem as I'm quite in the sticks with low light pollution, and I'm in good shape lol,

Is there a noticeable difference between a 10" and 12"

Kris

Thanks for all the replys folks, as I said earlier I am very new to all this and I have basically picked a 10-12 inch due to the fact of aperture size, other than that I don't really know what I'm after, really interested in DSO and planets, transportation won't be a problem as I'm quite in the sticks with low light pollution, and I'm in good shape lol,

Is there a noticeable difference between a 10" and 12"

Kris

If money isn't an object why not. I am jealous :), that said, the more experienced will give better advice no doubt. If that was the max of your budget, personally I would have been thinking what would a 10 or even 8 inch buy me with a few very decent quality eyepieces to go with it, you may actually end up seeing more that way to begin with ? The thought of dragging the 12 inch around the garden and son on , it makes me tired thinking about it, an 8 inch would be very manageable still I'd imagine, something you may get out quickly.

For sure with my small but insignificant 5 inch dob I have, I can see one upside in that I am sure I would not have been out the few times using it had I gone for a big scope.

For the little experience I've had thus far, if I had had a little more cash upfront I would probably have gone for an 8 inch dob with a decent set of eye pieces, even if I could have afforded a bigger one personally.

On the upside, once you have your mammoth of an 12 incher, you could always get something additional like a small grab and go scope to add to your collection at some stage.

Kris - I think you get a 25mm and 10mm eyepiece with the scope. A barlow will magnify your eyepieces, usually by 2 or 3 times (for example I have a TAL 3x Barlow). That effectively doubles your range of magnifications.

I've added a Meade 32mm eyepiece and a Vixen NPL 15mm from FLO so I have a good selection. They are not the best eyepieces but are good quality - way better than than the stcok 10mm eyepiece you get from Skywatcher. I plan to get a better set in the future when I can afford it. Lots of people rave about the zoom eyepieces that allow you to change the magnification - I have never used one though.

First Light Optics are really great. Good service, prices and choice. They are very helpful ensuring you get the right kit. Click on the banner at the top of the site :D

I am in no way affiliated to FLO btw ;)

Archived