Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crayford Focusers options

Recently got a 300P but the focuser supplied is fairly basic.

I have trolled the forums a little and is seems the direct replacement offered by Skywatcher comes in for some criticism. I was wondering if this http://www.firstligh...rd-focuser.html is the said item and if it has been upgraded at all to make it a worthwhile option.

If not, then its either the Baader option http://www.firstligh...newtonians.html but this needs s separate 2" to 1.25" adaptor or the Moonlite one http://www.firstligh...newtonians.html

The moonlite one looks a fantastic piece of kit and come with the 2 to 1.25 adaptor so would work out at the same price as the Baader.

Going to make do with the stock one it came with for the time being as it is use able but will keep my eyes peeled on ABS but has anyone tried the Skywatcher one "recently" and how have they found it?

Also from reading about the two alternatives, the Moonlite appears the better option over the Baader but again has anyone got anything to add in favour of either?

Steve

Hi Steve,

You've posed an interesting choice here.

I bought a DS low profile focuser for my 200p about two years ago. It looked similar to the Skywatcher one you've pointed to, and had a similar price. The one I bought had an inner extension tube to the drawtube that you could slide out, almost doubling the focusing range. If the Skywatcher one is the same then I cannot recommend it. I found that the inner extension tube was a lose fit in the drawtube and the thing drooped and flexed. it wouldn't hold collimation.

Having bought that DS focuser for my 200P, I then replaced it with a Moonlight. Lovely, smooth, looks great. BUT, I do wonder if it does flex a little under load, e.g. with a camera. You might be able to find posts, e.g. on CN, claiming that the Moonlight is all bling and not a sound engineering solution. A particular concern of mine is the U-shaped, open frame design which does not fully encase the drawtube. Can that U-shape drawtube holder flex under load? I don't know, but i do wonder if it is part cause of the flex issues I have with my camera.

You'll find the Baader as the standard focuser on several scopes from other manufacturers and I know that Bern (Modern Astronomy) has replaced the focuser on his own Quattro 10CF with a Baader. I acknowledge him as someone who should know about these things.

I've played briefly with a Baader at an exhibition (fitted to an Orion scope if I remember correctly) and it felt really solid and stiff but racked smoothly. I would love the opportunity to try the Baader Steeltrack as a replacement for my Moonlight.

Hope that helps,

Dave

I fitted this one to mine and its a bit cheaper, what do you consider is wrong with the stock one on yours?

http://tinyurl.com/clx8nal

I am just not a big fan of the 2 nurled thumbs screws to hold EP's in place. Over time these will marl the barrels of your ep's and this is my biggest issue with this type of EP's retaining mechanism.

That said, I have since found that I might have an option over that by using a 2" extension tube with a compression ring on it and then using a steeltrack 2 to 1.25 to overcome this. Not sure if this will work as the shape & size might be at odds with the actual current fitting but I can try and if it does work, it will certainly be far less expensive than replacing the complete focuser.

Another option to replacing it is to get hold of some nylon type screws to hold EP's in place. Not as good as a compression ring arrangement but it overcomes the issue of EP barrel damage.

However neither option gives me dual speed for fine tuning. Although I am sure someone has some kind of fix for this, similar as the peg used on my old SCT. Any ideas anyone?

I have a spare Skywatcher low profile focuser if you fancy checking one out. I'm saving it for a rainy day.

See you on Friday at Leyland tank?

maybe, depends on weather o/c. Not looking good atm but if it is ok i shall be there....

one advantage of the Baader is the stainless inserts which the bearings run on. if the bearings ever fail you won't get the ugly drawtube scrapes that some focusers (Moonlite included) end up with. it does seem to have been well designed.

I replaced my stock focuser on my SW 120ED with a Moonlite. (I think I'm the only person who hated this scope, but that's another story!!!) Anyway, I digress ............... The Moonlite looked beautiful. It was heavy and well engineered. Personally, I later found it all mouth and no trousers. It didn't cope as well as I had hoped with the imaging rig and personally I'd not get another Moonlite. Having now used a couple of scopes with stock R&P focusers, I'd never use a Crayford again.

I have a 300p and i plumped for the moonlite-best upgrade ive made,worth every penny.its so smooth and well built and you can tune the drawtube tension.i put a wanted add for the adaptor as they come up when people upgrade and transfer the focuser but you may have a wait.

Having tried all 4 brands SW, Baader, Moonlite and Starlight Instruments (feather touch).

Buy the Feather Touch Crayfords, these are their cheapest focuser, but can be used on pretty much any scope with the right adapter, so it moves with you as you change scopes, no others have that compatibility for some reason.

Ill be getting one to replace the one on my C11 (not the crayford ill get the sct type in this instance) at some point even though I have an independent electronic focuser.

2" extension tube has been ordered to see if that will fit insterad of the stock one. Howie Glatter adaptor also http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/186086-howie-glatter-parallizer/ and just checking out the size of the thumbscrews to see if they are the same as these http://www.365astronomy.com/m5x20ri-steel-thumb-screw-for-crayford-focusers-p-3338.html

If all this fits the bill, then hopefully that will be situation sorted without the need for a replacement focuser at this stage anyway. :rolleyes:

Archived