Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Here we go again, mr nightfisher is toying with a donation to FLO in exchange for an OTA :grin:

I have been very tempted to get a 150 skymax for using on my AZ 4 and still like the idea, however all my scopes are long focal length, f10 and way above

so now i find myself thinking about a 150P DS ota for visual on the AZ and as a bonus a little AP on the HEQ5 syntrek with the dslr, with another bonus of finally getting to grips with collimation, i feel this set up might allow me to explore some DSO`s a little, some thing i dont do a lot of, does this sound like a fair plan?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Explorer 150p. It's just a great scope and on the AZ4 it's a combination made in perfection. The P-DS is the same scope 9optics) but with a 10-1 focuser.

You can pick up an 150p OTA on ABS for £100 (there is even one on there now) and upgrade the focuser to a 10:1 with a Lacerta for £59 more (delivered) and you have a great scope. I do find this combination needs a 9x50 as the supplied 6x30 doesn't have enough aperture to pick out stars for complex finding.

On the other hand, I love this combination so much I have an idea to replace the OTA altogether for a VX6 with 1/10 PV...

Either way a 6" F5 reflector on an AZ4 is awesome. It offers a lot of verstatility. Even ergonomically I have a choice to use it standing up with the legs fully extended or seated a'la dob mode with the legs fully retracted. They eyepiece is always in the right place on this type of mount. I started astronomy with this very OTA, on an EQ3-2. didn't like it much then and craved bigger aperture. I then got the current 10" using the 150p to part fund. My grab and go was then an ST80 on a camera tripod, followed by a ST120 on an AZ3. I then go an AZ4 for the ST120. I then got offered my old 150p back from the person I sold it to, as they didn't use it at all. Then, as a grab and go, 6" started to look huge and perfect and when I hung it on the AZ4 I knew it was a match made in heaven and simply boxed up the (basically new) ST120 and sold it on as I knew immediately I'd never use it again. Holds colimation forever. I've flocked mine (and this made a huge difference to the views) and replaced the secondary screws with thumbscrews. upgraded the finder to a 9x50, upgraded the focuser with a lacerta 10:1 and swapped out the extension and 1.25 converter for altair astro including a self centering adjuster. All in all the scope is now just sublime to use, it's closer to the 10" than it ought to be if im honest and more often than not im finding myself going for the 6" over the 10" because the 10" isnt delivering the views that much better that the comfort and fun of using the smaler 6" outweighs. this is how I knew i needed to upgrade the 10" to something bigger and im hoping my planned 14" dob will be a big enough step in performance to put the 6" back as a grab and go / summer scope only.

I think if I had to sell all my equipment I'd sell off my big scope before my 6"/AZ4, it's that awesome. So much fun.

EDIT: And I've used this scope extensively with BSTs and they are very very good in it. The BSTs, like this scope, punch way above their cost.

I see you're a Tal fan. I've just changed my grab and go from a Tal 100RS to a 150PDS (on an AZ4) and on the whole I think it was the right choice.

I really liked the Tal, but I would always seem to grab something else first. At the same time, I had a 200P on an EQ5 which soon became a 250PX Dob when aperture fever caught - both of which were selected for viewing sessions before the Tal. I foolishly decided to chop the Dob in for a 250PDS to put upon my NEQ6 but that sized OTA on a equatorial mount is just a nightmare to handle, so the Tal got more use and the 250PDS was sold.

I was on the lookout for a 200PDS, but the 150PDS came along which was also happy on the AZ4 so I bought it, and I'm pleased with it. The dual speed focuser is is a different league to the single speed unit on the normal OTA, and they've tweaked the mirrors for better focus when using cameras.

The advantages of it over the Tal are obvious - no false colour, better widefield views, better focuser, the ability to use 2" EP's (my 28mm UWAN wouldn't come into focus on the Tal) and more light gathering. Since going up and back down the scale of my scopes, It's clear to me that light polluted skies are much more of a contributor of exactly what you can see than aperture. I live in a decent location for LP, the difference between the Tal and the 150PDS is noticeable, but not huge if I'm honest.

The cons are it's more fussy about EP's (I use Nirvana UWAN's which are fine), collimation (although with practise it's not really that difficult) and cool down time.

I'd say it's a dead heat on quality of images between the two (CA versus diffraction spikes on the brighter planets), very little between them on contrast, and what detail you can see is perhaps shaded by the bigger Newt.

Another advantage for me is that I can also use the 150PDS with a coma corrector for imaging - it won't stress my NEQ6 and it's still a guide-friendly focal length.

I think you'll be happy - I miss the Tal, but it was a sensible choice for me.

I'll let someone else chime in about the BST's as I've never tried them.

I agree with Graham although if imaging the set-up of the PDS is (I understand - know nothing about imaging myself) a little better with a larger secondary and shorter distance between mirrors.

for me 6" is where observing really starts to get useful as there's so much more detail than say a 4" aperture.

Hi Jules, I've used the standard 150p on the AZ4 with BST explorers, great grab and go setup.

I also use it for imaging on the eq6, haven't found the lack of 10:1 focuser a handicap.

Im keeping my Tal, thats a scope for life, could never part with it, the 6" newt is more for dso work, some thing i am missing out on, going for the PDS version in case of maging, i was thinking along the lines of a mak or sct but all my scopes are long focal length so the f5 newt makes much more sense

how about these stats. 1.25" over 2 degrees TFOV and 2" shows over 3.5" degrees TFOV.

take that to the bank anyday :) It's such an awesome all rounder. Can plum it up to 180x quite easily. I use mine with UWA eyepieces and it's very very nice,it all comes together very well.

Personally I feel Skywatcher are missing out on an absolute gold mine not selling the 150P or P-DS on an AZ4. They really are.

I use the standard 150P / AZ4 as a grab and go combo occasionally, and it really is very nice indeed but most of the time the 150P sits on my NEQ6 for imaging. I don't really miss the DS focuser either.

this is what the 150p(ds) and the BST range would give

post-19910-0-54406700-1367957688_thumb.j

obviously you can squeeze more out of it with UWAs

Thanks for posting that, very helpful, i have 15, 18 and 25mm bst`s, might get one decent widefield in time

Jules a few years back at SGL6, I think, I was able to use a 6" Skywatcher PDS on loan from FLO. John (Global Mod) and I worked together star hopping from one galaxy to another. We must have observe, between us, 25/30 galaxies that night. I was so taken with the scope that I bought it and now use it on a regular basis on my SkyTee Az/Alt mount.

I have improved the extension tubes for the focuser and flocked the inside of the tube. It is a great little scope and makes a fantastic grab and go scope.

Mark

Thumbs up for the 150pds from me, Cheap, portable, useful aperture, optically fast for imaging with a focal length that gives a decent FOV, every house should have one :)

Jules a few years back at SGL6, I think, I was able to use a 6" Skywatcher PDS on loan from FLO. John (Global Mod) and I worked together star hopping from one galaxy to another. We must have observe, between us, 25/30 galaxies that night. I was so taken with the scope that I bought it and now use it on a regular basis on my SkyTee Az/Alt mount.

I have improved the extension tubes for the focuser and flocked the inside of the tube. It is a great little scope and makes a fantastic grab and go scope.

Mark

Mark glad you chipped in, i did read yours and johns account in a search

Thanks for posting that, very helpful, i have 15, 18 and 25mm bst`s, might get one decent widefield in time

this is what I use, never fails to make me laugh a little (this is a fun scope)!

post-19910-0-12672700-1367960812_thumb.j

you can hang pretty much whatever you want off of it on this scope and it eats it up.

I just got in from pretty poor, not even dark skies in what 30 minutes of observing since that other post? Watched Saturn for a bit at 180x, poor seeing but got the cassini divsion when seeing cleared for bief moments. saw M81, M82, M3, M13, M92, M65, M66 and the double cluster although the sun still isn't proper set . There is that awful summer haze/fog in the atmosphere and its a weeknight so I packed back up and come in. Got my hit, thats my definition of grab and go. out and in within 30 minutes and picked up a bunch of things to keep me hooked for another day :)

oh yeah and M44/Beehive as well!

Im sure it will make a good combo on the AZ 4, and handy for a dabble with some basic imaging at a later date, toyed with the 200p ds, but would not have been right on AZ4

Jules you have made a good choice. I thought about buying the 200PDS to upgrade the 150PDS but decided against it. The 150PDS sits nicely on my SkyTee mount and can be set up within 5 minutes. If I want to view fainter DSOs I use my 10" Dob.

I have changed the small finder scope to a 9x50 correct image right angled finder plus a Red Dot Finder. I did not like the extension tube because of the possible screw marks to my Ethos EPs so I bought one of these - http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16444&cat=261&page=1 - In addition, for the same reason, I bought a 2"/1.25" eyepiece adapter with brass compression ring.

Enjoy the scope Jules because I never regretted buying mine and I have used my new 21mm Ethos EP in it and with just under 3 degrees FOV that is something else.

Mark

Jules you have made a good choice. I thought about buying the 200PDS to upgrade the 150PDS but decided against it. The 150PDS sits nicely on my SkyTee mount and can be set up within 5 minutes. If I want to view fainter DSOs I use my 10" Dob.

I have changed the small finder scope to a 9x50 correct image right angled finder plus a Red Dot Finder. I did not like the extension tube because of the possible screw marks to my Ethos EPs so I bought one of these - http://www.altairast...&cat=261&page=1 - In addition, for the same reason, I bought a 2"/1.25" eyepiece adapter with brass compression ring.

Enjoy the scope Jules because I never regretted buying mine and I have used my new 21mm Ethos EP in it and with just under 3 degrees FOV that is something else.

Mark

Thanks mark, sadly i dont use TV ep`s but it will get the 9x50 finder that i share with all my scopes, BST explorers and circle T ortho`s will have to do for time being

I have used this outfit in the past and I have to say it makes a very well balanced outfit. Now that I have got over my un-balanced attraction to refractors I appreciate the combination even more. I always thought that this is the outfit I would chose later in life...when I get to doddery to lug a 10 inch dob about.

Archived