Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think that once you the collimation thing I don't think you will look back. That said I will more than likely buy another 100RS and an AZ4 later in the year to go camping with, its either that or a little WO number on the off chance I get into AP, its unlikely as I don't do gadgets as a rule.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately I think, larger scopes are the order if the day. A 4 inch scope will always be a 4 inch scope regardless of its optical quality. From experience I know this to be true.

I would agree but you can't ever get away from the fact that a nice refractor warms the soul with its style...:)

I set up the 150PDS last night mainly to view M83 as my 10" Dob can't view that low down because of my fence. There was a lot of cloud cover near the southern horizon so I just went galaxy hopping until the sky had cleared to try and view M83.

These are the DSOs that I viewed over a 2.5 hour session - NGC2903, Leo Triplet , M98, M99, The Markarian Chain , M53, M3, NGC 4565, M51, M81, M82, M13, M92, M5 - thats about 20+ DSOs with a 6". I also split Castor and the Double Double and viewed Saturn seeing the Cassini Division.

The southern sky started to clear and I was pleased that I could see the Glob M68. However, I just did not get a really clear sky to see M83.

So there are Jules, as previous stated this is a great littlle scope and on an Alt/Az mount you can spend hours galaxy hopping.

Mark

Hi Jules,

Really happy for you - getting your new scope and all. Funny thing, I always thought of you as a 'frac / TAL kinda guy. I know you have had Maks as well but still. Moving to mirrors :shocked:

I am sure you will enjoy it, although you do change your scopes more often than I change my socks :grin: Really looking forward to your review.

Ian

Hi Jules,

Really happy for you - getting your new scope and all. Funny thing, I always thought of you as a 'frac / TAL kinda guy. I know you have had Maks as well but still. Moving to mirrors :shocked:

I am sure you will enjoy it, although you do change your scopes more often than I change my socks :grin: Really looking forward to your review.

Ian

I wanted a smallish newt for a while, felt i needed to learn collimation once and for all, also at star parties i feel a bit "left out" while folk are busy clocking up dso`s so the 150p ds fitted the bill, but will always prefer fracs

Hi All,

I too am about to order the 150PDS but on the HEQ5 Syntrek (can't aford the extra for the Synscan GOTO). I was also looking at a 12.5 and 6.3mm EPs and a x2 Barlow. Anything else I should consider?

nightfisher - let us all know how you get on!

Archived