Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

trudie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trudie, you are probably getting more confused by now. Everyone is trying to help you solve the problem, and you are trying hard to absorb everything coming in to you. I would let the thing rest for the night, and you can sift through all the help tomorrow.

My last offering is still dwelling on the hemisphere selection mode. If it is not a physical switch, then it may be in the setup menu.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Bit late here, but it sounds like I was doing a while ago.

First thing is to put the 'scope into park posiion before turning the power on. The 'scope should be pointing at Polaris wit the weights at their lowest point.

Second thing is to be sure that your co-ordinates are correct and the time is correct (which I'm sure you've checked at least four times).

Next thing is to be sure that your alignment star is the one that you think it is (my biggest problem so far).

Then it should just work.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I did'nt do the park bit first, would that make that much difference?

Everything else was done correct, of that I'm sure (having done it all too many times to count).

In the cold light of day, I'm still baffled.

Trouble is I may have to wait forever now for another good night.

Thanks All

Trudie ( with enthusiam at a record low)to the extent I'd don't want to set up even if its clear.

Hi Trudie

A bit off the wall but if the HEQ5 upgrade is anything like an EQ6 upgrade you have to fit the stepper motors and plug the leads to drive them into the DEC and RA connectors on the motor board - may be worth double checking the motors are plugged into the correct sockets - driving the RA with the DEC commands and DEC with RA commands may cause the behaviour you are experiencing

Good luck

Tony

Trudie

Good point that Tony makes. It's a bit fiddly in there when you are connnecting stuff and it's worth going over it again. At the very least take the cover off the motor housing so that you can see what is moving in what direction when you press buttons.

Wish I was a bit nearer because I'm sure I could fix it for you having experienced similar problems. It's often just a question of knowing what to look for.

Good luck.

Geoff

I did'nt do the park bit first, would that make that much difference?

THIS IS A VITAL STEP. Trudie, if you do not start in the PARK position, you have NO hope of getting an alignment!

The HEQ5 does not have 'counters', it just sends pulses to the motors and expects the mount to move according to the pulses with NO feedback - this means that you have to 'tell' the mount where it is at the start of the session and the way you do that is by setting it to the PARK position.

To be absolutely clear about this, the PARK position is as follows:-

1. The mount should be polar aligned

2. The counter-balance weights should be pointing downwards

3. the telescope should be pointing upwards

I really think that this is your problem as you appear to have set everything else correctly. I can confirm that there is NO North South 'switch either physical or software apart from entering your Latitude correctly

I think you've cracked this nut SW, I for one and I suspect Arthur and others forgot to have asked about this . Personally, I assumed having "polar aligned", the scope was then parked. Trudie would have been up and running last night. Soz Trudie !

Karlo

I think you've cracked this nut SW, I for one and I suspect Arthur and others forgot to have asked about this . Personally, I assumed having "polar aligned", the scope was then parked. Trudie would have been up and running last night. Soz Trudie !

Karlo

Ahem...

Then align... assuming scope is roughly polar aligned and pointing at the pole-ish

This is the Park position - Trudie said that the scope *was* pointing this way. :D

I'm so sorry guys, when I said it was pointing towards polaris I did'nt think it meant the whole scope, and now I feel totally stupid, cos guess what, when I start it from the park position it goes in the right direction, its not very accurate bit i'm sure that is down to trial and error.

MY DEEPEST THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE.

A very humble and embarrased Trudie

A very humble and embarrassed Trudie

Absolutely no way Trudie :nono:

If I had a £ for everytime I couldn't see the obvious, I'd be a rich man. :D

So glad you've got it sorted with help from the guys.

I was getting so concerned about your level of despondency, I was about to get the car out of the garage and drive down :D

Dave

Trudie, just to echo what Helen's just said, that's what we're all here for . No need to be humble or feel embarrassed. If it weren't for this forum I think I'd still be looking at a couple of large boxes scratching my head. YOU WILL never do that again that's for sure, but when some'ut else crops up- Well bingo post it her, I know I would. Just fine tune your alignment abit and you'll have no worries, I am honestly Sooooooooo pleased it's sorted out for you. I only wish we'd thought to clarify it with you last night.

Good luck,

Karlo :D

That's good news Trudie. It is not easy to get the Park position exactly right but the closer you do get it, the better the first alignment star will be. Here is a tip for getting it right more easily in the future:-

Set up and Polar align with the mount/scope in the best Park position you can achieve by eye.

Now do your first Star align but when the mount stops slewing, DON'T adjust it with the hand controller but do it manually by unclamping the RA and DEC clutches and moving the 'scope by hand - I know it is not easy but trust me, it will be well worth doing.

Once the alignment star is centred in your eyepiece, clamp the two clutches up tightly and continue with the other two star alignments (if you want to do more than just a single alignment) but this time use the hand controller to centre the stars. At the end of the session, issue the PARK command and then switch off after the mount has 'parked'. Don't touch the clutches again and the next time you set up and align, you will have a much more accurate first star alignment!

Archived