NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

trudie

At last a clear sky, time to try out the new HEQ5 upgrade, reasonably polar aligned, lat/long coords in correct, date right format, time right format. Decided to do 3 star align, chose Capella and it slewed down to the ground, tried Alderbaren again totally wrong direction, right now I don't know whether to cry or throw the scope down the garden(if it were'nt so damned heavy)

PLEASE HELP, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Trudie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so, timezone sey at zero, daylight savings "YES" I assume thats correct, its actually not even slewing in the correct direction, I'm totally baffled, tried time and time again with the same results.

I must just be some sort of an idiot!!

Trudie

I think so, timezone sey at zero, daylight savings "YES" I assume thats correct, its actually not even slewing in the correct direction, I'm totally baffled, tried time and time again with the same results.

I must just be some sort of an idiot!!

Trudie

Don't know any specifics about the mount Trudie, but at the moment we are not on daylight saving, we're back on GMT. And you might want to see if there is a switch/setting for hemisphere - the mount might think you're in the southern hemisphere... (small chance, but if you're stumped might be worth a look)

Hope you get sorted :D

Helen

Sorry Andrew was'nt being sarcastic, Have tried saying No and YES to daylight savings it does'nt make any difference, I'm sure there is'nt a switch for hemisphere, at least I can't find one.

I was really looking forward to having my 1st go at DSO's imaging 2nite now I'm just stuck !!!

Trudie

Clutching at straws here but is your power source OK? i.e. if battery is it well charged? Lots of people report all kinds of crazy mount behaviour when their power isn't up to scratch (my old CG5GT was prone to wierd slews when the battery was low).

James

So

Power on.

Press Enter on the Version screen.

Press Enter on the Begin Alignment screen.

Enter the Lat and Long, LONG FIRST!!! (scroll keys to alter W/E and N/S) so N 50 something number last, E/W little number first

Enter the time/date with no daylight saving, date as mm/dd/yyyy time in 24hr format.

Then align... assuming scope is roughly polar aligned and pointing at the pole-ish

Arthur

don't be dismayed ,turn it off and start it up again, paying close attention to the Long and Lat, making sure they're put in correctly and that the N and W/E follows the setting . then check you're operating on either 24hr or 12hr clock and daylight savings is set to zero and timezone 00. If after all that the same thing happens well it looks like there IS aproblem. Go on it'll be worth it. From my own experience little oversights have a huge impact.

Karlo

Have just given it another go.

Yep, did that as decscribed, its when it slews to a given star it all goes to pot, and developes a mind of its own.

Power source fully charged, had read about that problem, so was well prepared.

Trudie

Archived