NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

trudie

I agree with you Arthur,

Trudie -when you say the tank is fully charged , are you going on the tank's say so? I've had probs when the tank says it's fully charged(green LED) only to find that it wasn't. The flashing LED on the mount is the best indicator.It ought to be a continuous red LED with perhaps a little flickering when the mount slews.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in that case there are two options (well, one really) you can go for. First - the mount is not working the way it should and should be returned to the point of sale or second (not likely I know) you have the mount 180 degrees off on the polar align.

You have got the lat long correct, the date/time correct, the battery's fine. There's even an "n" in the month! I am out of ideas, sorry.

Arthur

Chubster, Proflight2000, Greg @ FLO or Philsail may have some answers if you can get hold of them. Just done a HEQ5 upgrade search and thats what I came across. Hope this helps if no joy.

:D

Rigel1

It's all a part of the learning curve unfortunately.

Hope you sort it soon.

Rigel1

:D

Thanks all, I give up for now, I'm absolutley frozen,

The co-ords I used are actually on my doorstep, but will try the others, but am beginning to think I may have a fault.

i definatley did have the scope pointing at polaris, even had polaris in the little circle for the 1st time ever

Your not being rude, but I followed the manual to the letter, checking and double checking everything as i did'nt want to make an obvious error.

I do have a query, no rush I'm going to bed to get warm.

I put the time in 24hr clock (20:36:07) as instructed, press enter, it then checks with you the time you have entered, and it comes up (08:36:07 PM), it did confuse me and I can't find any way of altering it, but it does say PM.

Is this correct?

Thanks All

trudie

The problem you have seems so serious, I would suggest the fix is a simple one. There are people more familiar with that mount than me, coz mine is Zilch.

It sounds like a wrong hemisphere mode selected, so there has to be a means of selection either on the mount itself, or on the hand controller. The best thing to do, is forget tonight, and do a thorough procedural read up tomorrow. You will correct the problem Trudie, It iis just a matter of time.

Ron.

Thanks all, I give up for now, I'm absolutley frozen,

The co-ords I used are actually on my doorstep, but will try the others, but am beginning to think I may have a fault.

i definatley did have the scope pointing at polaris, even had polaris in the little circle for the 1st time ever

Your not being rude, but I followed the manual to the letter, checking and double checking everything as i did'nt want to make an obvious error.

I do have a query, no rush I'm going to bed to get warm.

I put the time in 24hr clock (20:36:07) as instructed, press enter, it then checks with you the time you have entered, and it comes up (08:36:07 PM), it did confuse me and I can't find any way of altering it, but it does say PM.

Is this correct?

Thanks All

trudie

Hi all,

Not sure but isn't the scope reporting an AM time with a PM label " 08:36:07"?

Jeff.

Hi Trudie

I had a similar problem and I would check if the scope is balanced correctly in both RA and DEC.

For me it was fine in RA but not in DEC. I actually bought a longer counterweight rod for the HEQ5 and now with sufficient room to place the weights the problem went away.

Although my inital alignment was usually all right, for no reason that I could fathom the scope would sometimes do a go-to and end up pointing in the wrong direction and down at the ground. I tried all the handset settings, firmware (do make sure you have the latest version from the Skywatcher site) power leads and supplies, cursing, praying and so on.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

I think its ok in both, I only have an ed80 on the mount, and have loads of space on the counterweight rod.

I think I may have to ask someone very nicely if they can come and help me out. ( i'm sure he knows who I mean), but I will ring him soon.

Ta to you all,

Trudie

Oh why is life never simple?

Trudie,

I just looked at an online manual and it mentions a hemisphere switch on the handset:

"The N/Off/S switch acts as a power switch as well as controller for

the directions of the motors. The "N" position allows R.A. motor to

track for the Northern Hemisphere observations and the "S" position

is suitable for the Southern Hemisphere (Fig.d)."

Any use?

Sorry I cannot help Trudie, I haven't upgraded my HEQ5 to "GOTO" yet.

I would suggest (if you haven't done so already!) putting it all away for tonight and sleeping on the problem. It's surprising how problems are usually soveable the next morning. If you have time, and the weather is OK, I would try going through the set up again - in the daylight. Cover the front end oof your scope (and the optical finder if you have one fitted) and maybe try a fix on the sun.

Go over checking all what has been suggested by others above, once again. Either the problem is being caused by something very simple, or there is something wrong with your "GOTO." (I've not heard of anyone else having experienced something being wrong with their actual "GOTO").

Best wishes for success with it,

Regards,

philsail1

Archived