NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BBC weather website

x6gas

What's the story with the BBC weather website these days?

It's been horrifically unreliable of late - it's like they've given up and just put random weather up...

According to the BBC it is clear as a bell outside tonight and will be until 5am and yet my eyes tell me that it's a complete pea-souper.

Grrrr. Scopes are outside cooling but I'm not hopeful.

I don't have a problem with it being wrong. There's a lot of variables and no forecast is going to be anywhere near 100%.

I do have a problem with the web forecast being completely at odds with the broadcast forecast. You'd think they'd be running off the same data.

However I also have my scope sat outside under what is a wall to wall blanket of cloud and Im not chuffed :undecided:

LOL

And I agree about the broadcast forecast and the web not tallying up.

I do use 7Timer! and sat24 but the beeb is my first stop to see if there is a chance and it used to be fairly accurate. It's annoying that it's not just the forecast that's wrong - it's what's happening right now that's wrong too...

Ian, I'm having the same issues as you - based on checking the BBC and Met Office websites repeatedly during the day/afternoon, promising clear unbroken skies from 8.00pm onwards, so I've set everything up outside - complete blanket cloud at the moment though here in Devon. Interestingly the Met Office have just now changed their forecast from clear to cloudy - I guess they just looked out of the window...., there's just no accuracy or reliability in what they forecast even a few hours ahead - pretty poor in my opinion.

Martin

All of the weather forecasting media need a rocket up their A**E, they get paid wads of cash for telling us poor folk a bunch of LIES !!!!

Supposedly clear as a bell here, the reality is as far of the opposite that you could possibly imagine, you might get the impression that I'm slightly miffed here....

still, the 200 is out cooling, just in case ......................

It should be possible to get the web and TV forecasts synching as they come from the same computer model which is updated every 6 hours or so..

I do think watching sat24 and xcweather is a good bet to get a feel for things as an alternative to the BBC.

The poor skies are due as far as I can tell to the jet stream being much more disturbed in recent years as a result of the lowering differnetial of the temp at the equator and pole. This explains the odd paturns of weather thatwe get stuck in such as this cold dry spell!

Mark

www.bristolweather.org.uk !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

I have scope nights and it was forecast clear all night. Was really looking forward to having another good look at Panstarrs but the cloud has never looked like moving.Not impressed! :-(

I have always refused to either complain about the weather or accuracy of the BBC and their weather centre in relation to astronomy... But not today....for the love of god the weather is just terrible, by far the worst for years. Even last year I had tons of observing opportunities, not so this year/winter. As for the Met or BBC (Same difference) I give up, totally unreliable. The amount of times I have either missed windows of opportunity or dragged my gear out only to discover blanket cloud or worse. It makes you wonder just why you spent so much money on a hobby you rarely actually get to engage in.

Same here, drove 10 miles to meet up with a few others on a disused airfield set the kit up and didn't see a single star, gave up after 90 minutes but the forecast for tomorrow say clear at 9pm again, yeah right.

I blame North Korea, I think they have sent up a secret probe in orbit to send a confusion ray to attack the met office and not forgetting the BBC. That is why we are getting lousy strange weather.

hypnotoad..........................

Archived