Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to observe the sun?

The easiest was to start is with some Baader film http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html It is perfectly safe as long as you carefully follow the instructions and then handle the filter with care. Make sure you also cover any finder you have as its so easy to forget and either look through it or burn the reticule and anything behind the finder!

NEVER use a solar filter at the eyepiece end - you want to reduce the power of the sun before it gets concentrated at the eyepiece end!

Its really fun - give it a go :-)

Helen

It's not hard to make one yourself, but some people have more confidence in one they haven't put together themselves. Another important thing to remember is to hold it up to the sun and check for any damage every time you use it. The film is fairly tough, but careless handling can damage it. Keeping it in a box would probably be sensible.

James

As all the above have said, make sure you check the film every time BEFORE fitting it to the scope.

It is really easy to make and great fun - most my family and friends are not too keen to stay outside at -10°C @ 1am in the dark so a solar filter gives them a little insight into my hobby.

Once you made/bought your filter all you'll need is clear skies (wishful thinking by me).

right, purely for cost I'm going to make one myself.

Could someone give a few pointers about how to do it please?

I appreciate all your suggestions and advice, without SGL I'd be lost in terms of astronomy :p

All I did for my 130mm scope was to get a plant pot (plastic type) where the base was slightly larger than the apperture of my scope, cut a hole in the base (craft knife) leaving a 1" border around the edge, I then framed the film in a circular frame of card ( 1" wide) trimmed the film round the edge of the cardboard & then stuck the fliter into the base of the pot. It fits snugly on the scope but I also tape it to the scope to make sure it doesnt come off. If you go to the Baader website, it'll give you instructions rather than trying to decipher what I've written :grin: Anyway, it works very well & the Sun looks amazing.

Steve

All I did for my 130mm scope was to get a plant pot (plastic type) where the base was slightly larger than the apperture of my scope, cut a hole in the base (craft knife) leaving a 1" border around the edge, I then framed the film in a circular frame of card ( 1" wide) trimmed the film round the edge of the cardboard & then stuck the fliter into the base of the pot. It fits snugly on the scope but I also tape it to the scope to make sure it doesnt come off. If you go to the Baader website, it'll give you instructions rather than trying to decipher what I've written :grin: Anyway, it works very well & the Sun looks amazing.

Steve

okay cheers Steve, will give it a go! :D

The only other advice that I would give is to be sure to put the filter on the scope before you point it anywhere near the sun. A member here forgot this recently, aligning the scope looking along the tube and then putting the filter on. His eyes were not damaged but parts of the inside of the scope melted in the brief time that the uncovered scope was pointed at the sun.

This might be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how I should inspect my filter for any possible damage? I inspect it every time before use by having the sun on every area of the film and when that seems fine, with no light leaking through I go ahead and do my solar observing/imaging. My film is taped on the inside of the dust cap for my 8" Newtonian, so I can't really store it inside a box, but then again it's dust protected within the telescope tube when not in use I suppose. :p

Archived