NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

has ccd killed video astronomy

shirva

The main use for my video camera is occultations, involving the moon and asteroids. I also use it for capturing static images of asteroids.

I do sometimes seek out deep sky objects with it. I can`t really see myself getting involved with the raised budget of CCD imaging and

all the extra time doing image processing so I am quite happy with using the video camera at the moment.

Hi phil fargaze

Was trying out my new ed80 with my canon dslr and took 15 sec subs and stacked them to end up with a pile of rubbish the subs were better unstacked and more time spent in photoshop made them better....and I said is this what you need to go through for every photo. ..need to get moving on with the scb2000 myself maybe longer set up time but every second counted tonight with the clouds coming in...need to try the Samsung in the ed80 and try focussing. ..waiting on a 6-60mm lens for it from hk will try my 8mm and assess ...dslr to video on merit

ME! Tho' it is rather "Cinderella" Astronomy? (Seen but never heard)! :p

The mid-priced, fast, real-time, alternative to "classical" imaging. You can

learn the same techniques. Features of Visual Astronomy... to Mag +15+?

Never gifted with great vision/eyes - Getting older <gasp> - Future-proof!

At the moment, working on "Robotized" Obsy. I can sit in the WARM... :)

I am genuinely intrigued as to why it is not MORE popular though. Ideal for

the "screen" generation? But astronomers can be a tad traditionalist... ;)

I thought most planetry imaging is badically video astronomy (20fps to 60fps), although it's usually done with a ccd/cmos sensor.

Is that different to video astronomy I wonder? .. me not being sure what is meant 'video astronomy'.

I am probably wrong, but in my head Video Astronomy is using a video camera which outputs a PAL type video signal which can be displayed live on a TV or via capture card into a PC. This is different from the USB type SPC900 etc even though they capture a 'movie' in a similar way, they are not video cameras.

I have a Watec 120n+ which, when I ever get the time, I intend to use much more to get deeper live viewing using the frame integration ( up to 512 frames). It is a very sensitive camera and shows some good stuff. I can view it on a small LCD TV or into a laptop using a frame grabber.

My personal view is that they are best suited to live viewing rather than capturing and processing. The images I see are noisier than those from the other CCD cameras normally used for DSO imaging seen on SGL. My camera is very sensitive and for me it maintains the feeling of live viewing but allows me to see a wider range of objects.

Stu

For me, video astronomy is "live" views, unprocessed and unstacked. Once you start capturing and stacking then its moving into the realms of astro photography albeit lower resolution and relatively short exposures.

I use my SDC435 to observe from my light polluted garden - I can "see" DSOs that are otherwise impossible.

However I have dabbled in capturing and stacking and I can see the attraction. However when I start down this path, I find my self looking at true Astro CCDs like the BS Mammut which Bernard at Modern Astronomy is touting as the best thing since the Watec 120N.

I bought the SDC for less than £100 and it has served me well, however instead of aperture fever I find myself suffering from sensitivity and low noise fever :)

The BS Mammut is £399 only twice the cost of the SBC4000 which also has a 1/2" sensor but its cooled and offers 16bit resolution, video like frame rates and long, long exposures and direct. USB capture.

I'm happy with my AZ mount (quick setup) so am limited to shorter exposures but the attraction of real astro CCDs is strong!

And so starts my journey into the dark side......

Clear skies

Paul

I've been tempted by video via another forum [video uptake on SGL is very low] but mains voltage TV displays outdoors [in the past] and the tangle of wires [even today] has but me off. I've severe LP but interested in DSOs and this needs sensup which exposes a flaw in video eg the amp-glow which builds as the exposure increases.

Better results are possible via regular astro-CCD cams in single exposure of <1min but as the amplifier is switched-off there's no amp glow! Images downloaded in a continuous loop to laptop screen much like video. I've been doing this for over a decade with Starlight Xpress mono and OSC cams and perfectly happy with results. I view results live in mono and save to HD for later stacking typically to <5min which goes really deep. SX s/ware allows live colour conversion if needed but post processing is better. Many DSO samples via link below but a taster in M82 in 5s exp attached - the Lodestar-C is an order of magnitude 'faster' than any DSLR cam :cool:

post-21003-0-63448900-1363339154_thumb.j

I use a 7" LCD TV which works quite well and avoids my hair standing on end ;-)

The Watec is pretty sensitive, and will integrate on the fly up to 512 frames, about 10 seconds but is mono of course. That's an amazing shot for only 5 seconds!

Stu

I am after a Mammut colour now, well I'm not I should say Bernard is at Modern Astro'. I am just looking for a more or less instant picture type thing. Paul kindly put me on to Mordern and I hope they come across with the goods for when I am in England. I bought a Mod 40D from a site member but I have only taken one shot with it, it's the hours messing in Photoshop that puts me off. Having been using it for years I am fairly good on it but leave it for a few months and you soon forget. The other thing is my sons favourite way of getting attention is to knock whichever scope I am with at the time, really good if imaging.

I don't think Video id dead we have just moved the goal posts a bit.

Alan

If anyone is looking around for 12V 800x600 monitors.

http://www.lilliputu...ors/vga/fa1042/

Not the cheapest around, but useful for other stuff too.

Seems to survive freezing / windy Welsh nights well! :p

Aside: Since next door's new bloomin' security light now "flashes me", every time I go down my garden path, I'm working more seriously on remote control. Thus far, 30m of Cat6 plus 30m 75 Ohm coax, suspended from steel-core clothesline! <G> But have already had "Teamviewer" controlling remote laptop, moving scope via EQMod etc. Heck, even displaying (Watec) stuff in the (relative) comfort of my lounge. :)

Still working on focusser control. More tentatively, wondering on how to remotely control the Watec! Hmmm... 10m of 16-way DIN control cable retails @ €200+! There are Wifi units, but again, at a fair old price.

BUT anyway, I haven't QUITE given up the (Video Astronomy) FIGHT just yet... :D

Chris

Have been looking at 12v wireless video kits on ebay from China...for remote viewing. ..my set up is eq3/2 pro synscan and have linked to pc and stellarium.ed80 .st102. A 8" newt and a etx80. .I am in process of running the ed80 with a Canon 400d on a timer controller and fitting Samsung scb2000 to the front ring with a 8mm lens linked to a monitor at mount and video feed split to laptop via a video grabber..hoping to fot electric focusser from st102 to the ed80 have made extended cables for full set up...just need good weather to try it all.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Minitron camera that I originally purchased to try and get some shots of the last space shuttles, failed miserably though.

Now find it great for showing folks DSO's on TV in camper van.

Dave

Archived